Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

DrewDale wrote:
Cheers :clap: :tu: :D
hah, i was just going to ask for this converted TX81z bank! thank you so much for converting it Mr. Penguin Sir!!! :hail: :wheee: :clap:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
Maomoondog wrote:
fmr wrote:
overhishead wrote:I noticed that theres a lot of folks wanting the gui to look good, but really if this is an emulation, things such as realtime parameter modification with a slider, and the AMS function should be a few tiers above in priority.

as long as you're emulating, why not adhere to the original? Image

getting crazy with a gui is great and everything, but i am rooting for the development of a complete emulation, which is the stated goal. and well, sound and function is first and foremost. as long as we're being sticklers about the 32 patch limit and all.
Do you REALLY want THAT? :-o Have you ever wondered why there were so many software editors for the DX7? And why more than 90% of the DX7s that went to service to Yamaha had the initial sounds untouched?
I can only agree. One slider ? In the 21st Century ? Not for me, not for most I would think.
i hear what moondog is saying. i like the new gui on this synth, but the overall look could have had a more "inspired by" look of a real DX7. just my 2 bits. :oops:

layzer wrote: i hear what moondog is saying. i like the new gui on this synth, but the overall look could have had a more "inspired by" look of a real DX7. just my 2 bits. :oops:
overhishead wrote: Image
whos trolling? at least i'm not bitching about a pixel being the wrong shade on the logo like someone was on the gui i was working on for the OBXD synth.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

overhishead wrote:3) The final gasket in the engine is realtime "timbre" changes, which was accomplished with one slider on the Dx7, is awesome.

dupont wrote: Within Tracktion 5, I often must restart the audio engine.
Dexed 0.8 sound are chopped while playing when the sequencer is stopped.

I used to use a wrapper, VTS to AU 2.0, with OSX Snow leopard an Logic 9 but it does not work on Maverick and Logic X.
Did you manage to run Dexed within Logic X ?
:( Really, I don't understand why I hear so much problems about Tracktion; it is the same framework that Dexed is built on. I never had those problems when I have tested this with Tracktion. I hope to release an 0.8.1 AU version....

Sadly, I don't have Maverick and I cannot upgrade to Maverick cause Apple doesn't want me to (it is not available on the App Store). Apple is fine if I upgrade to Yosemite now, but the Dexed built might broken with the older OS X. My soundcard doesn't even support Yosemite... With that situation, I have little or no interest to support proprietary Apple AU stuff (cause I'm mad I can't simply upgrade to Maverick now)... meh. Enough of Apple whining.
penguinfromdeep wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrpczr4msiwez ... d.syx?dl=0
:D this are quite fun to play with. thanks for sharing ! :clap:
layzer wrote:just want to add that i did a side by side comparison with my Yamaha TX802 module and can say this VST.
sounds virtually identical! great job. prob won't sell my 802 though because the 802 can
function like eight 2 voice polyphonic dexed's using NO cpu. it will be great for making patches that i can then export as sysex that can be read by the 802 8)
Well, thank you!!! It is getting there but I still hear some differences... There is still a couple of years (and contributors) to really get to the holy grail of the DX7, but I hope we will get there.

That said, software synth emulation should not be marked by version but by year (like a car model). Each year, it needs more tuning to get to the real thing. This would force the developer to progress the software and this would also get the buyer interest...

Beautiful work, and the new GUI is a huge improvement.

Could someone make me aware of current missing features compared to a DX7?

Many thanks for your efforts on this project!

asb2m10 wrote:
overhishead wrote:3) The final gasket in the engine is realtime "timbre" changes, which was accomplished with one slider on the Dx7, is awesome.
by timbre i meant realtime parameter changes reflected in the sound, that can be abused for creative reasons such as programming the dx7 emulation.

if the feature already exists, thats great!

You have realtime control of all Dexed parameters already. This is built into your VST Host!
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

asb2m10 wrote:I hope to release an 0.8.1 AU version....
Ooh. I look forward to that!

ftech wrote:
asb2m10 wrote:I hope to release an 0.8.1 AU version....
Ooh. I look forward to that!
Same here.

I am not sure, if this is the right place for this. But this is what I came up with:
much better, but still....
the six operator windows are still to cluttered. Increase the space between them and make more contrast to the background. Have background black for example.
Separate OP1-3 and OP4-6 with the lower parameters in the middle.That makes it more friendly.

when i work with FM I want to see all 16 algorythms to choose wichever I find appropriate. Dialing is distracting.
The way its on the DX7II is exactly how I like it. Yes it takes some space. But a great synth has a right for his space. Don't worry.

For me it was also always important to mute some operators, while working on the others. Best way for this would be to click and toggle on the operator in the algorythm grafic, which should change its color for on or off.
I also need to point out, that the DX7s had only a velcity range to 100. All this old original sounds have been designed under this.
Today all keyboards run up to the 127 real easy, which destroys the sounds many times. i used to use "velocitycurve" from Trombettworks to tame my keyboards. I suspect it would be a good idea to implement a "velocity tamer" in the app.
Another one: What happened to the Aftertouch ? No Aftertouch?....
Now sadly I myself never learned how to program, so I have no idea how much work my suggestion require. But I dare to mention all this because I have been working with the DX7s since it came out, you know when.

opoo wrote: when i work with FM I want to see all 16 algorythms to choose wichever I find appropriate. Dialing is distracting.
The way its on the DX7II is exactly how I like it. Yes it takes some space. But a great synth has a right for his space. Don't worry.
If you are referring to the algorithm images in the front panel, they are there in DX7 too, but:
1. There are 32 algorithms, not 16.
2. Displaying ALL 32 algorithms would take basically ALL the screen real estate.
3. The keyboards have enough space on the front panel, and just a few buttons, but on the rack units (TX7, TX816, TX802), you didn't have the algorithm display, for obvious reasons.

But I agree with the operator On/Off switch (could be the Operator Number, which would turn darker when off). That is something I wished I had many times, while editing.
Fernando (FMR)

Great job on the DX7 emulation am having a blast, The new UI is very helpful

fmr wrote:
2. Displaying ALL 32 algorithms would take basically ALL the screen real estate.
3. The keyboards have enough space on the front panel, and just a few buttons, but on the rack units (TX7, TX816, TX802), you didn't have the algorithm display, for obvious reasons.
One way I could imagine is to have a complete window opening when hovering with the mouse over the algorhythm, simular like a preset window. This way one can see and choose and thats all it would take to see them all just for when its needed. Of course again, i have no idea how complicated that would be to program.

opoo wrote:…hovering with the mouse over the algorhythm…
The word is 'algorithm' and it is not related at all with the word "rhythm".

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”