Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Aloysius wrote:Nice job Markus808 :tu:
Thanks, Aloysius!

Cheers
Markus808 :)

Hi,

many thanks to Pascal for this great synthesizer!
It increases the fun to be had with my TX802 enormously!

I would be very interested in TX802 patch compatibility (I mean, being able to exchange cartridges/banks with the TX802 without problems).
I googled somewhere that Pascal is looking for the TX802 sysex documentation. I found that document somewhere. Pascal: if you are interested, please send me a personal mail so I can forward it to you.

Thanks again for your work (and that of the other collaborators),
Edo

@electro thanks for that link, will watch soon. Nothing like learning direct from the source!

evg wrote:Hi,

many thanks to Pascal for this great synthesizer!
It increases the fun to be had with my TX802 enormously!

I would be very interested in TX802 patch compatibility (I mean, being able to exchange cartridges/banks with the TX802 without problems).
I googled somewhere that Pascal is looking for the TX802 sysex documentation. I found that document somewhere. Pascal: if you are interested, please send me a personal mail so I can forward it to you.

Thanks again for your work (and that of the other collaborators),
Edo
They are both 6 Operator and I believe DX7 .syx patches can be read by DX7II/TX802
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Yeager wrote:Working in version 0.9.0 b2 not working in 0.9.1 b3, here is an example, if you load this in 090b2 it sounds like it should.
In 091b3 it sounds different, but when you change the engine to mark 1 and back again it's OK.
Hope this helps.
P.S. the finetune-bug is still there in 091 b3 :wink:
Live and Reaper refuses to load this fxp ; I've tried with VSTHost and I didn't had any issue :(
Iu Gob wrote:Hello again. I'm sorry. LFO produces only positive values...
Don't be sorry, that's my fault and will be certainly be fixed in the next beta.
yul wrote:I am curious about the various modes (modern, mark 1, OPL). Are these variations in algorithms otherwise simply the DAC's? I realize they are all from different hw.
It's all about algorithms... The modern engine is the original implementation of the "music synth for android" project. 24-bit and everything is digital 'clear'.

OPL engine is a reverse engineering project were people decapsulated (https://docs.google.com/document/d/18IG ... n1rIm42nwo) the original Yamaha OPL chip. Within that chip they were able to see that Yamaha used 2 lookup tables (one for the sine, the other for the exp). Keep in mind that in 1983, there were no way a 2000$ hardware digital machine was able to do 16 voices multiplications in real time. To save CPU power, the exp and sine values were store in a lookup table. Those tables gives the oldschool DX artifact. The OPL engine is the code from the PPPlay project that I've merge into Dexed. It is in 8-bit. I think the DX27 and DX100 uses some of this architecture (and bits) and gives the awesome "Lately Bass" sound.

The Mark I engine is the OPL engine but in 10-bits... not everything in this algorithm is in 10-bit; as all of the math involved in this is "bit" dependent. So you cannot just add a bit in the end in expect to work. There is still job to do, but like I've said, we're slowing getting there.
evg wrote:I googled somewhere that Pascal is looking for the TX802 sysex documentation. I found that document somewhere. Pascal: if you are interested, please send me a personal mail so I can forward it to you.
I think the TX802 added the performance sysex (the ones with the modulation level, mono settings and stuff). PM sent; any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

asb2m10 wrote:
Yeager wrote:Working in version 0.9.0 b2 not working in 0.9.1 b3, here is an example, if you load this in 090b2 it sounds like it should.
In 091b3 it sounds different, but when you change the engine to mark 1 and back again it's OK.
Hope this helps.
P.S. the finetune-bug is still there in 091 b3 :wink:
Live and Reaper refuses to load this fxp ; I've tried with VSTHost and I didn't had any issue :(
Sorry 'bout that , let's try it another way: Open Reaper, Load Dexed (091B3) , goto preset 17: ARP 2600.
Play some notes, change to Mark I, play some notes .. "Really HUGE DIFFERENCE" !
Is this intended ?
090b2 sounds (almost) the same on both modern and mark I.

Hi!
Dexed is really great!
Only thing i miss is VST automation for some parameters (i.e. operator levels and operator envelope times and levels).
As it is now they only change at every new MIDI note.
Would be great to change the parameters while the note is playing.

why am i getting all sorts of clicking noises when playing sounds in mono mode? especially leads from original dx7 sysex? i'm not getting clicks with fm7.

Seems to me that voice management and perhaps even envelopes might need some more work to get rid of those clicks in mono mode...

Thanks a lot for this amazing Synth I use it so much.
That would be awesome if you could add a Finetune Knob and also arrows to switch presets !

sinemotor wrote:That would be awesome if you could add a Finetune Knob
Already possible via CTRL+Drag.

I would like to have the mouse pointer hidden on normal drag too (as in finetune mode). Not hiding the mouse pointer is bad when reaching display/screen edges.

Also "reset knob to default value" via double click would be nice to have.

Dandruff wrote: Already possible via CTRL+Drag.
Thanks for the tip !

But I don't know if we are talking about the same type of Finetune Knob actually. I was thinking about a "Master" finetune kind of knob. Like the one I would find in FM8 / Massive / Diva / Hive for example.

sinemotor wrote:I was thinking about a "Master" finetune kind of knob. Like the one I would find in FM8 / Massive / Diva / Hive for example.
Sorry. Misunderstanding :)

MICROTUNING!! :D
please

Great synthesizer, thanks for all the hard work already done!

I have a request: please add the "MASTERTUNE" function!
So we can load 8 instances of Dexed, slightly detune each of them (and pan them across the stereo field)...
--> and thus we can achieve big, fat TX816 sounds!

Return to “Instruments”