Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

I know this may be somewhat beyond the initial idea for this VST but I can honestly see it forming the core of not only a great DX7 emulation but a great DX1 emulation. The GUI idea with everything on the screen together was one of the big things about the DX1, quite aside from the massive expansion of the possibilities of the DX7.

I've never had the joy of owning a DX1 (or even seeing one in person) but I still have the original sales brochure from Yamaha that they first put out in 1985. I remember reading that brochure over and over and drooling over the DX1. Of course, I was more realistic with my expectations and decided I'd be over the moon if I could even own a DX7. A couple of years later, I got that DX7 and I still own it today..... and it still has the original ROM battery!!! That would have to be the longest lasting lithium battery I have personally seen. It still shows 2.7 volts on the DX7 display.

idfpower wrote:
It's a new plugin, let it cook for a while and ppl to experiment with it and in time it will score points ;)
But the thing with software is that there are so many updates and fixes that today's good & accurate review might be tomorrow's inaccurate info...
It's got my positive points on the thread. I do plan on keeping it long term and will be recording with it for sure. It takes me back to when I had a DX-7 MkII. I look forward to further development of this baby :tu:
:tu: All is good

Thank you for the good works, asb2m10, it really is a nice synthesizer.

I've been playing with it for a few days now and I have a small feature request about usability.. Right now when I move my cursor over a knob, the knob is highlighted -- could it be so that that the value is shown, too? Right now I have to click the knob to see its value and I think this could be good for instance when the user wants to copy values from one operator to another.

People looking for patches, check this: http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/page ... ml#patches The first (sysex.tar) is quite a lot already, ..

AusDisciple wrote:I know this may be somewhat beyond the initial idea for this VST but I can honestly see it forming the core of not only a great DX7 emulation but a great DX1 emulation. The GUI idea with everything on the screen together was one of the big things about the DX1, quite aside from the massive expansion of the possibilities of the DX7.

I've never had the joy of owning a DX1 (or even seeing one in person) but I still have the original sales brochure from Yamaha that they first put out in 1985. I remember reading that brochure over and over and drooling over the DX1. Of course, I was more realistic with my expectations and decided I'd be over the moon if I could even own a DX7. A couple of years later, I got that DX7 and I still own it today..... and it still has the original ROM battery!!! That would have to be the longest lasting lithium battery I have personally seen. It still shows 2.7 volts on the DX7 display.
The dev mentions here http://www.kvraudio.com//product/dexed- ... f2b2e32020 that this will be a DX-7 emulation only. Let's see this get a nice skin and taken to the next level of completion before he moves on to any other DX emulator. I also have only ever seen a DX-1 in brochure form.
I agree that it could form a core for future DX clones and I am on your side for that idea. :tu:
But for now let us enjoy this emulation of the good old DX-7 and it's vast sound palette :wink:
:tu: All is good

DrewDale wrote:The dev mentions here http://www.kvraudio.com//product/dexed- ... f2b2e32020 that this will be a DX-7 emulation only. Let's see this get a nice skin and taken to the next level of completion before he moves on to any other DX emulator. I also have only ever seen a DX-1 in brochure form.
I agree that it could form a core for future DX clones and I am on your side for that idea. :tu:
But for now let us enjoy this emulation of the good old DX-7 and it's vast sound palette :wink:
Fair call on that one.
I'm actually a graphic designer and photographer and have a MK1 DX7. I sent the dev a PM earlier offering to help with the skin design. That's something I could really get into. Hopefully he's keen. I am!! :tu:

Not wanting to derail the thread, I thought about starting a new one titled: "I own", "Favorite", "In my studio" etc; but to be honest I couldn't give a tuppence so I didn't bother.

Cool synth! Is there a way to have the knobs respond to up/down mouse movements rather than having to move the mouse in a circle? That always screws me up.

Anyway Dexed. Love the GUI but look forward to any new ones coming our way. Having FL and Sytrus, it's not a necessity but it is a welcome addition. Thanks asb2m10 ! [And for picking up on the JUCE thread].

Wow! To my ears it has the same presence as FMHeaven (that's a good thing). It saves to .syx and it stacks nicely using multiple instances. For a keyboard player it's a good DX-7 replacement.

At my ears it is one of the best free DX emulations of the last 4 years.

The GUI is... hem... of 1982 also...
But the sounds, the ease of use, the excellent logic in the patching, and the very good economy of CPU resources, WOW!

With a totally reworked GUI it would be a killer!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Wicked!
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80

Ras.s has a good point about showing the values on the display when clicking over the knobs. User should be able to see/check any parameter value and this action should be so safe the parameter value is not changed accidentally. Now I can occasionally get the value to show by clicking on knob, but what actually happens is that the parameter has been changed by that click, sometimes a lot, which was not my intention.

The Middle C fader doesn't seem to work? No matter where I set it, the note assignment stays the same. The Dexed keyboard shows the currently playing key one octave lower than my control keyboard is set. That's what I tried to originally correct with the Middle C adjustment, but maybe it's for something else?

The GUI is not that bad, especially at this early stage. The basic arrangement of the controls and displays seems clear. And the sound is good. I see that in not so distant future I can easily retire couple of other FM synths I've tried to dabble with.

The syx loading feature and especially the option to store individual presets to external banks is just awesome. Makes it so simple to load in a bank and then save the best presets to external 'best of' banks etc. Love it. Any chance to get user defined content to the Cart, even if in separate folder?

Asb2m10, thanks for developing the Dexed! This will be a good one.

subterfuge wrote:Ras.s has a good point about showing the values on the display when clicking over the knobs. User should be able to see/check any parameter value and this action should be so safe the parameter value is not changed accidentally. Now I can occasionally get the value to show by clicking on knob, but what actually happens is that the parameter has been changed by that click, sometimes a lot, which was not my intention.
Exactly. How about numerical values permanently displayed on every parameter? The CTRLR panel is a good example:
http://ctrlr.org/yamaha-tx7-beta/
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Is anyone else finding it hard to tweak the knobs, moving them in a circle? Or am I missing a setting?

Well, for me dragging them with upside down U movement works really good and fast. But the straight up/down drag like you mentioned earlier works only for the half of the range and sideways drag tends to be jumpy and the min/max values still have to be accessed with a curve. Maybe that could be adjusted a bit?

Return to “Instruments”