Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Yep. Thanks again to the developer.

BlackWinny wrote:
dupont wrote:I compared Dexed with FM8 and Octopus and i found the sound of Dexed to be punchier, volume enveloppe is snappier and faster
Let's not exagerate, either...

But it's true that Dexed is really impressive, and a very, very good work.
I do not exagarate.
I tried to reproduced the wood bass preset http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p5092585 with 2 operators :
FM8 : bass is weak and no punch
Octopus : bass is less round and no pundh too
the closesed sound i obtain was with EFM1 (logic X) and Dexed.

For sure FM8 and Octpus have a far superior design and are more convenient way to program but as a musician, I don't care, I want the best sound.

+1 to drewdale and dupont :tu:

I would also like both Mono and Portamento implemented :)

Well thanks everyone !!! :oops:

Mono will certainly be done in the 0.7 version but portamento is a tricky part and the DX7 had multiple portamento modes... so later and the UI is more important... :)

For the 4-op support, nothing on the engine will change, it will be a DX27 to DX7 sysex internal conversion. The engine tweak will be by lowering the bit depth of the engine (FM at 12bits) to have a more crunchy sound; if it works.

asb2m10 wrote:For the 4-op support, nothing on the engine will change, it will be a DX27 to DX7 sysex internal conversion. The engine tweak will be by lowering the bit depth of the engine (FM at 12bits) to have a more crunchy sound; if it works.
Nice ! Thank you, sometimes i miss my Tx81Z ;)
I'm curious to see the forthcoming GUI, btw...

Very, very nice. It plays the lovely weird PPG patches from the STEIN1 bank of old. I need to find the old MICHAEL metallic percussion patch. It is so, so, very nice to have a current-technology actively-developed replacement for the old (and withdrawn) Hexter.

Eirikur

asb2m10 wrote:Well thanks everyone !!! :oops:

For the 4-op support, nothing on the engine will change, it will be a DX27 to DX7 sysex internal conversion. The engine tweak will be by lowering the bit depth of the engine (FM at 12bits) to have a more crunchy sound; if it works.
:)

Very, very good work. Dexed is undoubtedly improving day by day. :clap:
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

I have noticed that Oscillator Sync mode is missing. Will this also be added on a future update?
:tu: All is good

The controls in UI are there but I've just check with the engine code and this seems to be missing.

Since this was on the original DX7, I don't see why it shouldn't be added. I'll add it on the TODO list. Depending on the complexity, it should be fixed in 0.7 or 0.9

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to this been added in the future :)
:tu: All is good

I suddenly discover that... it is once more a french creation !
(or should I say "une création franco-québecoise", a bit like AAS...?)

And by a neighbor!... I live at 500 m from where you work, Jean-Marc!

And Pascal Gauthier... from Citofono at Montreal?

One other thing... Do I guess right, Jean-Marc, if I think that Dexed is an evolution based on your previous SynprezFM for Android?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hahaha, I do work 2 blocks away from Applied Acoustics HQ; but this is purely a coincidence.

Yes, we (Citofono) did participate in the last Montréal Mutek event at the Musée d'Art Contemporain. 2 blocks away from Applied Acoustics HQ again. Another coincidence.

I don't really understand the reference of Jean-Marc; but I did emailed him about a year ago about a SynprezFM port to VST. He told me that the source code was not available but I could do it with the Music Synth for Android source code; which I did...

sooo, Dexed is pretty much a north american creation; if you include me and Raph... :hihi:

funny enough, about half the source code is owned by Google Inc. So Google is actually making synths.TYL.

Ah... I understand a bit better the history of Dexed now.
I don't really understand the reference of Jean-Marc
He is mentioned in the About box.
:D

And I'm at 500 m from Jean-Marc.
You're at two blocks from AAS...

It's funny how much the the VST/AU world is small.
funny enough, about half the source code is owned by Google Inc. So Google is actually making synths.TYL.
Do they even know that they are indirectly music developers?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Eirikur wrote:Very, very nice. It plays the lovely weird PPG patches from the STEIN1 bank of old. I need to find the old MICHAEL metallic percussion patch. It is so, so, very nice to have a current-technology actively-developed replacement for the old (and withdrawn) Hexter.

Eirikur
Just for the record, I think falkTX is porting dex to native linux vst.
There are some things awaiting new dex releases, but it works well for
some linux users now. There is also a great linux Hexter version, with lots
of editing options, and sysex import. Works and sounds great, barely nudging
the cpu out of sleep cycle 8)
Cheers

<snip>
Last edited by Maomoondog on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”