Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

electro wrote:
papwalker wrote:Knowing the goal posts would be moved ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUtx3F0OBbo
The DX7 V accurately models the FM digital synthesizer ...
No it doesn't. As you say you must requires different settings / procedures to do the job. It's a new synth with badge engineering. It's been 'reimagined' [insert any other marketeer cliche / buzzword here]
I'm not changing my sysex files or my original Yamaha patch charts or filtering the to and fro from an app that uses different values and structures.
Dexed operates almost identically to my DX hardware. That's all I want.
When I want a new different architecture FM synth plugin then I'll look elsewhere. Sytrus, Dune whatever

Dexed was about replicating the Yamaha DX series sound and operation in software. Warts and all.
I agree Dexed is a gem and the preferred tool to control the hardware DX7 ITB. Is anybody else ready to pay for a Dexed Pro that can work like this prduct? Realtime Sysex updating of all parameters, useful to control a DX7 with broken buttons
https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/pr ... r-plug-in/
+1

It would be the dream coming true for the DX7 owners.
:tu:

I would pay too.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

electro wrote: I agree Dexed is a gem and the preferred tool to control the hardware DX7 ITB. Is anybody else ready to pay for a Dexed Pro that can work like this prduct? Realtime Sysex updating of all parameters, useful to control a DX7 with broken buttons
https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/pr ... r-plug-in/
Yeah, like the editors supplied by Yamaha for the current crop of hardware. I use mine all the time as it's way easier than delving through the menus on the synth ... the initial sync is a bit of a bitch though. Wouldn't want to be doing that on stage.

IIRC even the genuine DX Simulator only does bulk and partial transfers.
dxs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

To anyone who doesn't own a DX7 and might be interested in getting a Volca FM, I recently acquired one and here's my experience so far :

- Half the patches sent from Dexed don't load correctly so they don't sound the same at first. However once you've scratched your head long enough, you can find your way back to the original patch with very simple parameter tweaks (for example, just turn back on all operators than were loaded 'turned off' for some reason)

- Complex sounds/pads will probably never sound as deep, clean and spacey as Dexed, especially since it's mono with an optional (and very musical I must say) stereo chorus. For studio purposes, It seems entirely useless to reproduce what you did on Dexed on a cheaper hardware version. The volca has to be explored on it's own, creative stuff done directly on it. It actually sounds beautiful, just don't expect it to replace the plug-in for all purposes.

- It will sound better than Dexed for bass sounds, since the little machine carries a LOT of punch. "Unison" mode sounds especially massive - maybe you can achieve it with Dexed too, but not with zero effort.

- The attack/decay knobs for all carriers / all modulators at once, that transform your sound in an instant, are in themselves worth the money - not to mention the crazy possibilities of the sequencer (which results get too random and glitchy to my taste though, I guess I need to be more careful and precise)

- I hate the 3 notes polyphony limit, but there's definitely an entire field where it will teach you intuitive FM sound design with instant gratification, so I'd say go for it, especially if you find it for cheap.
TX7 might be a better option for a small powerful hardware version, but it doesn't have knobs so I don't really see the point of it.

lovely sound; bright and chintzy like a formica diner counter.
pascal, if you're still reading this thread: is there any way i can donate money to you or anyone involved? it's amazing to be able to use this for free.

sleepcircle wrote:lovely sound; bright and chintzy like a formica diner counter.
pascal, if you're still reading this thread: is there any way i can donate money to you or anyone involved? it's amazing to be able to use this for free.
Thanks for the kind words, but no, there is no donation for this.

A) I am not the only one who worked on this
B) I didn't want to sell this cause I didn't have time to support it. Similar to money donation.

The perfect model should be beerware/postcardware/careware for Dexed.

asb2m10 wrote:The perfect model should be beer
beer.jpg
Dexed is awesome.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Is there a way to control the parameters of a TX7 without a computer? (with only a MIDI controller like the UC-33 for example)
I borrowed a TX7 from a friend and let me tell you, it sounds EXACTLY like Dexed, no noticable difference whatsoever, so much that the hardware version itself is entirely redundant, at least for patch creation / tweaking.

hermetica wrote:Is there a way to control the parameters of a TX7 without a computer? (with only a MIDI controller like the UC-33 for example)
I borrowed a TX7 from a friend and let me tell you, it sounds EXACTLY like Dexed, no noticable difference whatsoever, so much that the hardware version itself is entirely redundant, at least for patch creation / tweaking.
I think yes.

At least with a Kenton Midi controller you can. And with a Behringer BCR2000 also. And with their Midi keyboards also. And Arturia and Novation Midi controllers and keyboards also.

And the Evolution (as the UC-33) Midi controllers are not very different. So I'm pretty sure that it is possible with it.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Anyone who has the original factory banks from DX7 converted for Dexed?

And want to share. :love:

:help:

walker1 wrote:Anyone who has the original factory banks from DX7 converted for Dexed?

And want to share. :love:

syx files that Dexed reads.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r74mi0et5q35u1a/DX7.zip?dl=0
:tu: All is good

No one has my favorite sound Solid Bass Syx for Dexed? Please :love:

:hail:

Anyone who has my favorite sound Solid Bass Syx for Dexed? Please
And want to share.

walker1 wrote:Anyone who has my favorite sound Solid Bass Syx for Dexed? Please
And want to share.

Search through this thread, or google DX7 patches. There's lots of "Best of" DX-7 sysex banks and literally thousands of free patches floating on the web and linked to throughout this thread. Maybe someone can provide you a link to a bank that already includes it, but a little searching should turn it up without too much effort.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
And want to share.

Search through this thread, or google DX7 patches. There's lots of "Best of" DX-7 sysex banks and literally thousands of free patches floating on the web and linked to throughout this thread. Maybe someone can provide you a link to a bank that already includes it, but a little searching should turn it up without too much effort.
The one i find dont load in Dexded i have google all day.

And want to share.

You will find that the Solid Bass preset wasn't a DX7 patch it was created on a DX100 and that was a 4 operator synth.
:tu: All is good

Return to “Instruments”