Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

It's version 0.8.1 with the improved patch browser I'm waiting for.

DrewDale wrote:
asb2m10 wrote: Middle C and level is fixed. It was a silly bug.
Is there a download link for the fixed version?

+1

I think toothnclaw is maybe referring to the difference between shareware and freeware?

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Freeware_vs_Shareware

Having said that, I would obviously prefer freeware over shareware :)
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Well, from the strictly short term economic POW, I agree!

However, freeware comes with no support or further development obligations, does it?

Now that we've got a fully fledged DX7 emu, it's likely to become a mainstay in a lot of people's setups.

A reasonable shareware adds fee at least a moral encouragement for a dev to continue support and development, doesn't it?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:Well, from the strictly short term economic POW, I agree!

However, freeware comes with no support or further development obligations, does it?

Now that we've got a fully fledged DX7 emu, it's likely to become a mainstay in a lot of people's setups.

A reasonable shareware adds fee at least a moral encouragement for a dev to continue support and development, doesn't it?

/Joachim
Considering that even payware does not imply any commitment from the dev to continue development (all EULA usually state that the software is sold "as is", without any further obligations or warranties), I don't see why a shareware will imply anything else than that.

Any future development will always depend on the developer will, nothing else. That said, of course some donations will always be encouraging :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:Well, from the strictly short term economic POW, I agree!

/Joachim
Considering that even payware does not imply any commitment from the dev to continue development (all EULA usually state that the software is sold "as is", without any further obligations or warranties), I don't see why a shareware will imply anything else than that.

Any future development will always depend on the developer will, nothing else. That said, of course some donations will always be encouraging :wink:
That's why I wrote "moral encouragement". ;-)

/Joachim

asb2m10 wrote: Mono switch ? you mean you play a chord and it plays all the notes of the chords ?
:dog: No, I didn't play any chords when testing that one and was wondering what was supposed to happen. Apparently the last note priority now that I tried it again, since that does indeed work with the Mono switch on. Sorry, my bad not remembering the earlier discussion about it. However, when having long overlapping notes, the last note triggers twice? First when it starts and second time when the previous note ends.
Last edited by subterfuge on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothnclaw wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:
toothnclaw wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:Is version 1.0 going to be shareware?

I think it should be.

/Joachim
What a bad idea! :?
Bad for you, perhaps. :hihi:

/Joachim
Oh, look, the long hand of law enforcement wants to take our freeware FM synths from us! Send us to prison for allegedly using warez in the future! Quick! Run! They'll be here with flamethrowers!

No, Spitfire31, I just said what I think. Freeware should stay freeware. If it's going to become payware at some point, this should be clearly said from the start.
Helix synth was open source before it got the $149 price tag, just saying.

It is way more pleasant to play with this new version.

In a later stage, will you consider adding multimode filter and filter envelope (I know, hardcore FM synth don't feature a filter, but it is a great addition to such a synth) ?

sinkmusic wrote:It is way more pleasant to play with this new version.

In a later stage, will you consider adding multimode filter and filter envelope (I know, hardcore FM synth don't feature a filter, but it is a great addition to such a synth) ?
I don't know. That will break compatibility with DX7, which was the main factor to build this, I think. I would rather have the DX7 II. To have an FM synth with filters and effects, we already have FM8.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
sinkmusic wrote:In a later stage, will you consider adding multimode filter and filter envelope (I know, hardcore FM synth don't feature a filter, but it is a great addition to such a synth) ?
I don't know. That will break compatibility with DX7, which was the main factor to build this, I think. I would rather have the DX7 II. To have an FM synth with filters and effects, we already have FM8.
+1 – underscored – on that! No 'mission creep' and no feature bloat that's alien to a Yamaha DX7, please.

/Joachim

We always must resist to the temptation of always more, always more, always more...

More is not always better. The purpose of Dexed is not to add new features on new features. It is to reproduce as well as possible the abilities of the DX7 in order to let the user enjoy the product as if he had a DX7.

Each time new features are added to an emulation it gets away from the accuracy... to enter in something which is not in the original specifications. It can be very good if it is thought at the very beginning IN the specifications as a huge improvement which was missing in the original hardware (include a sequencer in the design at the very first day of the conception, in the draws for example) and if everything else has been thought taking that feature in account all along the design of the full product. But add new features here and there at random which are too far away from the features of the original, and adding them during the development and when that development is already advanced... it is getting away on another path. And very often it drives... to huge unattended issues! Issues which can become a total mess in the maintenance phase of the life of the product... and which can decrease a lot the assessments of the full product by the users and the community.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I understand.
I was asking this, as being a DiscoDSP Phantom user I enjoy the filter addition, and while playing with Dexed, i created some patches which sounded even better if i added a 3d party filter plugin afterwards.
Also, Yamaha has put a filter in their DX200, and it's great ;)
And i enjoyed putting an analog filter after my Tx16W.

But if Dexed is meant to be a 1:1 emulation of Dx7, i understand it owuld not fit to the paradigm.

BlackWinny wrote:We always must resist to the temptation of always more, always more, always more...

More is not always better. The purpose of Dexed is not to add new features on new features. It is to reproduce as well as possible the abilities of the DX7 in order to let the user enjoy the product as if he had a DX7.

Each time new features are added to an emulation it gets away from the accuracy... to enter in something which is not in the original specifications. It can be very good if it is thought at the very beginning IN the specifications as a huge improvement which was missing in the original hardware (include a sequencer in the design at the very first day of the conception, in the draws for example) and if everything else has been thought taking that feature in account all along the design of the full product. But add new features here and there at random which are too far away from the features of the original, and adding them during the development and when that development is already advanced... it is getting away on another path. And very often it drives... to huge unattended issues! Issues which can become a total mess in the maintenance phase of the life of the product... and which can decrease a lot the assessments of the full product by the users and the community.
A big +1 for this :tu:
One reason I no longer have the Arturia Jupiter 8v in use is because of all the additional features, too much diversion from what it is supposed to be.
Dexed is meant to be a DX emu and IMO Dexed should remain a DX emu, I really do not know why Dexed has cut off and resonance :? The Yamaha DX7 did not have this. :wink:

sinkmusic wrote:I understand.
I was asking this, as being a DiscoDSP Phantom user I enjoy the filter addition, and while playing with Dexed, i created some patches which sounded even better if i added a 3d party filter plugin afterwards.
Also, Yamaha has put a filter in their DX200, and it's great ;)
And i enjoyed putting an analog filter after my Tx16W.

But if Dexed is meant to be a 1:1 emulation of Dx7, i understand it owuld not fit to the paradigm.
I think that to be 1.0x:1 can be done without risk. But 1.x:1 is always a risk. Said in an another manner... the further you go from the original purpose, the further you go from the stability and security.

That's why has been created the concept of versions. A version being a creation based on original specifications with the least possible deviations from these specifications.

After a first version totally finished and having reached the life phase, it is always possible to create new specifications to improve the existing... And new specifications mean long studies in the calm to be sure that the ideas (and their realization) will not bring an incoherence. And it is the way to a new version, with a new number (the X before the dot in the counting X.Y). But beware... It can lead to a disaffection from the users, because they don't recognize anymore the faith to the original design or to the original purpose.

It is totally different than to add an improvement (or a correction) in a feature already included in the original design, or to add a very minor feature to help the understanding or visibility (cosmetic corrections for example)... these two actions being not justifications of a version but of a sub-version, materialized by the Y in the counting X.Y.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”