Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

asb2m10 wrote:The Amplitude Mod Sens tells you how much you want the lfo to be applied to the specific operator. On a real DX7, amplitude LFO can be applied (programmable in %) from 5 different source : the mod wheel, foot controller, breath controller (LOL), aftertouch and the AMD *static* setting on the patch. Dexed only supports the last one, the one that is controllable from the UI. That's why the setting is there. Later, the modwheel, aftertouch, foot controller will be supported.
Looks like a workaround for now is to use the LFO then. Set "P mod sens" and PMD to 0, max out the AMD, lower the speed to like 1 or 2. Seems to do the job well enough to do the book exercises at least.

Dexed has only 32 .fxp preset slots. Can that be expanded to the .fxp limit (128 I believe)?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

toothnclaw wrote: No, I'm afraid we can't say it's a problem just with the MONO switch - I'm getting ticks, clicks or whatever when the mono switch is off, and as I said in a previous post, on MANY patches, both when playing and on rendered files. AND, I have the latest ASIO4ALL driver installed today.

Listen for yourselves:
Cubase 5, patch 31 - Slow3D Pad:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/synej90bxfizg ... 1.wav?dl=0

Latest Reaper, patch 15 - P.ICE 25.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aesigdfut5qlf ... 1.wav?dl=0

The files are 44.1kHz, 16bit, Mono, maximized to -0.3 dB.

I'm on 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Same problems in Renoise and Tracktion. Couldn't test on Fruity, my friend is away.

I have never (10+ years) experienced such behaviour with any other synth, host, OS or computer. In its current state, Dexed is unusable to me. Please devs, fix this!
idfpower wrote:but once the mono switch is pressed, the clicking beings. Switching it off solves the issue. Even if a preset starts clicking occasionally, if you press the mono on and then off, it cures it.
I've never fiddled with the mono switch, I'm just playing patches as they are, mono switch is always off.
There is a bug with the mono envelope transfert, it will be fixed in the official 0.8.0 version.

Listening to this, the mono switch seem on since patch 31 does a long release that I don't hear in the demo. I did a quick test on my side and I can reproduce the same ticks by using the Mono switch.

Keep in mind that the mono switch is not associated with the patch (like the real DX7), so even if you switch patch, the switch will stay on once you switch it off.
electro wrote:Dexed has only 32 .fxp preset slots. Can that be expanded to the .fxp limit (128 I believe)?
Humm... no, it will break to compatibility with the real DX7. Once the cartridge manager is done, it will be very easy to switch individual programs between the large banks of cartridges; so that need won't be "that" necessary. We will 'think about it' once we get there.

To the OP: keep up the great work! Dont be overwhelmed by all the bugs and feature requests we're sending out.

fmr wrote:
overhishead wrote:How do you link the AMS of an operator to the mod wheel?

I'm following along in the Chowning FM manual and I'm stuck at the second example because Midi CC #1 is hooked to the main vibrato of Dexed, not to the A Mod Sens.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~damont/C ... ations.pdf
(page 13)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Great book. I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in this synth.
Dumb question but how is this legal to share?

arkmabat wrote:
fmr wrote:

I'm following along in the Chowning FM manual and I'm stuck at the second example because Midi CC #1 is hooked to the main vibrato of Dexed, not to the A Mod Sens.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~damont/C ... ations.pdf
(page 13)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Great book. I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in this synth.
Dumb question but how is this legal to share?
the real question is how to procreate and understand FM synthesis. cant do both. I'm thinking FM is a sexual elevator shaft.

Well Dr. Chowning invented the damn thing and he had three kids so I guess it's possible... (prolly had them before he invented FM tho)

dumbledog wrote:Well Dr. Chowning invented the damn thing and he had three kids so I guess it's possible... (prolly had them before he invented FM tho)
:hihi: The link's on a college website so whatever I guess...

Yeah near as I can tell it's been out of print for decades but the pdf is in several locations on the web. There's a few used copies on Amazon for 50 bucks but it's not like the authors are gonna see a cent of it.

asb2m10 wrote:There is a bug with the mono envelope transfert, it will be fixed in the official 0.8.0 version.

Listening to this, the mono switch seem on since patch 31 does a long release that I don't hear in the demo. I did a quick test on my side and I can reproduce the same ticks by using the Mono switch.

Keep in mind that the mono switch is not associated with the patch (like the real DX7), so even if you switch patch, the switch will stay on once you switch it off.
As I said, I haven't fiddled with the mono switch, or any other controls on Dexed. I'm just loading patches and playing, mono switch stays off, as this is its default state.
asb2m10 wrote:so even if you switch patch, the switch will stay on once you switch it off.
I don't understand this, sorry.

Anyway, you will now fix the bug you've found, release official 0.80 and I'll check if I'm still having this problem. Then we'll know for sure if this was what was causing it.

:tu:

overhishead wrote:the real question is how to procreate and understand FM synthesis. cant do both. I'm thinking FM is a sexual elevator shaft.
I don't find it difficult to understand. You only need to understand few things:

- It's a more additive approach - No filters!
- Carriers give you the volume, modulators give you the timbre.
- Number of harmonics is determinded by the modulator's level.
- Ratio of 1:1 give you saw-like waves (all harmonics), ratio 1:2 is square-like waves (even harmonics)
- fractional(irrational) ratios (1:3.1415) give you inharmonic sounds.
- Very high modulator levels give you noise.
Last edited by Chris-S on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris-S wrote:I don't find it difficult to understand. You only need to understand few things:

- It's a more additive approach - No filters!
- Carriers give you the volume, modulators give you the timbre.
- Number of harmonics is determined by the modulator's level.
- Ratio of 1:1 gives you saw-like waves (all harmonics), ratio 1:2 is square-like waves (even harmonics)
- fractal ratios (1:3.1415) give you inharmonic sounds.
- Very high modulator levels give you noise.
Very practical and useful explanation. I couldn't do it. Congratulations. And to those trying to learn a bit of FM, pick these "rules of thumb" and stick them in a notepad on your desktop.

Just a small add-on. It's useful to think that you have as many "oscillators" as carriers are in the algorithm, and also that these are more or less complex as more or less modulators you have, and modulation you apply. Also, in FM each modulator(s)-carrier system can be seen as a synth in and as itself, capable of creating entire and very complex timbres. So, you can either create dense pads by replicating the same modulator-carrier settings and slightly detuning each carrier, or you can create complex timbres by mixing two or three modulator-carrier systems with very different settings, one to give you attack transients, for example, and another with a more sustained settings for the sustained part of the sound.

Which reminds me: Being able to keep a library of partial settings for a single operator or group of operators would be great, as well as the already mentioned copy and paste feature, even between different patches (for example, opening a patch, copying the settings of operator 1 and 2, and pasting these same settings in another two operators in another patch.
Fernando (FMR)

Very high modulator levels give you noise.
Yes, in fact that's aliasing - generated spectrum is so wide that it starts folding all around Nyquist range.
fractal ratios
Fractional ;) More precisely, irrational numbers.

However, all of the above don't help me imagine actual timbre, just its general properties. May come with experience, though - started FM only a month ago.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

May come with experience
But this is true with every synthesis method, I'd say.

asb2m10 wrote:

Right now, you can't. In the future yes.
it will be good for the functionality, playability and expression of Dexed to get this feature.

Return to “Instruments”