AAS String Studio VS-2 official released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
String Studio VS-2

Funny update.
I always think AAS could have the physical modelling market solidly in their pocket but somehow they manage to do funny stuff, as much as I still like them. Chromaphone shows that they are able to do the most brilliant instruments, even thought modulation flexibility is lacking even there.
But this update is perplexing. I don't totally hate the GUI, I just don't see it as an improvement either. I find it still a lot less clear than what would be possible without too much effort and see no point in having all that empty space while cramming the controls in those 10 tiny tabs. At least its a bit more readable than before.
But overall, another missed opportunity to go scalable, lay out things more comfortably and finally get a mod matrix or at least have aftertouch etc..

To me it sounds smoother somehow which would be welcome, the old version had a tendency to go into the harsh. Maybe higher oversampling? For the low update price with a soundbank thrown in, I am okay with it, but still would have prefered something more evolved for twice the price...

Would be interesting what the reasoning behind this approach is.

The Frontier Soundbank is interesting in that it has many sounds that are more "synth" than the typical StringStudio sound. I like Journey and especially Entangled Species more, they explore more uncharted territory and bring out the special character of StringStudio better, but its a solid bank nonetheless, a bit too mainstream for me though.

Not sure what to expect next from AAS... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

BBFG# wrote: (BTW, I'm one that has no problem with the VA-2 GUI)
That would be because you don't actually use it to edit sounds... what used to be on one page is now on 10 different tabs (with lots of empty space) and that is without a single sound engine change!!

Whoever made these decisions, obviously doesn't actually use the synth... it is entirely form over function. Half the space on the edit page is freakin empty!!

Actual use (as in editing/creating sounds) has taken a step backwards in usability.

pdxindy wrote:
BBFG# wrote: (BTW, I'm one that has no problem with the VA-2 GUI)
That would be because you don't actually use it to edit sounds... what used to be on one page is now on 10 different tabs (with lots of empty space) and that is without a single sound engine change!!

Whoever made these decisions, obviously doesn't actually use the synth... it is entirely form over function. Half the space on the edit page is freakin empty!!

Actual use (as in editing/creating sounds) has taken a step backwards in usability.
I do edit sounds on it, I just don't program any of my own from scratch.

aMUSEd wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
While your point is generally a good one... with String Studio v2 you now have to switch between numerous different tabs to control all the parameters that were all available on one page in v1... I already dislike it and I haven't even tried it... I loved that in v1 all the synth parameters were on one page... made editing fast and easy. Now the String, Damper and Termination modules are on separate tabs... and all 3 interact very closely so editing one means tweaking another. Now you have to switch between tabs just to do that! :dog:

It's like taking the worst of Tassman GUI and implementing it into SS!
Dammit they are insane? - do they not listen to their customers? Everyone has been complaining about the disaster of the UA2 interface for yonks and now they go and do it again.
I do like that the controls are a bit bigger... but I could have designed them bigger and still fit them comfortably on one page without tabs. Half the freaking space of the new GUI is empty!! :x

I feel forced to update because there is no 64bit Mac version until v2... The new GUI is terrible for people who actually use the synth in depth! String Studio is one of my all time favorite synths. I wonder if I can run both together? Then I can design sounds on v1 standalone and use the 64 bit v2 as a preset player in my DAW.

yes you can. I have them running both at the same time in Bitwig Studio, although that is Windows...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

This is only possible on Windows because Mac OS 64 bit is only Version 2
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:This is only possible on Windows because Mac OS 64 bit is only Version 2
The 32bit OSX version still runs standalone, or in a 32bit DAW

yes, a new, slightly better GUI, more presets, and some new effects. meh.

i love the AAS stuff. i just wish they would Really update, especially Tassman, which has so much promise.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Wow! I love this new release . . . a fine new version (updated and face-lifted) of one of my favorite VSTi's of all time. Super.

BlackWinny wrote: And really, the soundbank Journey (128 presets inspired by old traditional instruments of the world) is totally amazing. Just for the pleasure to create new personal patches by taking points of start in this bank I have upgraded!
while i agree with you that the journeys soundbank is great, i like the entangled species soundset even a bit more. definitely worth checking out (and also the third party banks by himalaya and xenos).
cheers

V2 looks nice but sounds bloody awful.

If it was a freeware synth with an uglier GUI, I'm not sure I'd even install it.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:V2 looks nice but sounds bloody awful.

HUH? sounds the same, excellent IMO
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Can somebody compare it to loomer strings?

LimboLoves wrote:Can somebody compare it to loomer strings?
No comparison - completely different sort of synth

LimboLoves wrote:Can somebody compare it to loomer string?
It's not at all the same thing in my opinion. Loomer String is a String Synth (and wonderful) in the spirit of Eminent, Crumar, ARP String Ensemble, and it is even a paraphonic String Synth (which is even much better) while VS-2 is not at all a String Synth but a physically modelled synth made to emulate plucked string instruments and bowed string instruments and of course usable to create new sounds by use of the pluck and bow models it implements.

Therefore... not at all the same usage.
:D
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”