AAS String Studio VS-2 official released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
String Studio VS-2

Loving the new GUI!

Er, 3 screens? That doesn't bother me... But I do think their new GUI's are too small. I guess that's a byproduct of the mobile age maybe?

mhog wrote:Excuse me, sir... which are those supposed "no clicky tab GUIs"? I own other synths, too (Dune2, Sylenth1, Kontakt5, Absynth5, Omnisphere, Zebra etc.) and they all have tabs, no one of them has "one single page" for filters, effects, oscillators etc.

So: which product you mean for "all parameters on one single page"? Examples?
Version 1 of String Studio has all the synth parameters on one page without tabs. In version 2 the exact same # of parameters (nothing changed) have been re-organized onto 10 tabs. (only about half the new GUI space is used... the rest is 'wood' grain and borders and other empty space)

You used to be able to see and edit the various modules like exciter, geometry, damper, string, termination all at once. In String Studio these modules have complex interactions and a subtle adjustment of one often means a tweak of another. For example, Damper Position in the Geometry module directly affects the result of the settings in the Damper module itself. Personally, I always thought it made more sense to just have Damper position in the Damper module, but they were at least always visible and next to each other. Now they are on separate tabs. This is just one of numerous examples.

So now you have to constantly switch tabs to edit closely related parameters when before all those parameters were on one page.

It is akin to putting filter cutoff on one tab, resonance on another, and filter env amount on a 3rd.

aMUSEd wrote:Personally I've got better lush strings from Chromaphone even though it's supposed to be for percussion:

https://soundcloud.com/amused/orchestral
Nice! :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

SWallace wrote:Loving the new GUI!
+1
:tu:

mhog wrote:Excuse me, sir... which are those supposed "no clicky tab GUIs"? I own other synths, too (Dune2, Sylenth1, Kontakt5, Absynth5, Omnisphere, Zebra etc.) and they all have tabs, no one of them has "one single page" for filters, effects, oscillators etc.

Hmm let me think back to... V1 of this very synth - String Studio VS-1 maybe?

It is true that many synths just can't have all parameters on one page, but they are usually well organized to minimize changing tabs. This SS V2 is just crazy, constantly back and forth with a whole bunch of empty space. Never have I seen a synth go from single page layout to this many tabs. Yes sometimes a tab is added for extra parameters, but this has made sub tabs within tabs, it's crazy.

pdxindy wrote:I love String Studio... I find it one of the most expressive and enjoyable synths to play... but this update sounds really disappointing to me...

basically, they changed that GUI (which I liked just fine) and added some effects. What I really was looking for was some improvements to the sound engine like some increased modulation choices... more parameters which can be modulated, some random modulation options, an extra envelope etc, maybe a new exciter model and so on...

I'll get the update cause it is finally 64 bit... which I appreciate, but otherwise :yawn:
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I'm not a String Studio owner but I do own Ultra Analog and I was quite surprised that after so many years they finally come out with an update that's... not much.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Since these new plugins starting from Chromaphone use a LUA based scriptable GUI (and bitmaps+script are included) it would be an interesting task to reskin them ...

pdxindy wrote:

Version 1 of String Studio has all the synth parameters on one page without tabs. In version 2 the exact same # of parameters (nothing changed) have been re-organized onto 10 tabs. (only about half the new GUI space is used... the rest is 'wood' grain and borders and other empty space)

You used to be able to see and edit the various modules like exciter, geometry, damper, string, termination all at once. In String Studio these modules have complex interactions and a subtle adjustment of one often means a tweak of another. For example, Damper Position in the Geometry module directly affects the result of the settings in the Damper module itself. Personally, I always thought it made more sense to just have Damper position in the Damper module, but they were at least always visible and next to each other. Now they are on separate tabs. This is just one of numerous examples.

So now you have to constantly switch tabs to edit closely related parameters when before all those parameters were on one page.

It is akin to putting filter cutoff on one tab, resonance on another, and filter env amount on a 3rd.
With my BCR2000 controller and the MIDI learn I have absolutely no problem.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BBFG# wrote:
SWallace wrote:Loving the new GUI!
+1
+1
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:This SS V2 is just crazy, constantly back and forth with a whole bunch of empty space. Never have I seen a synth go from single page layout to this many tabs.
Without adding a single new parameter...

As bad a decision as I have ever seen in a synth upgrade.

paulbreeze wrote:Since these new plugins starting from Chromaphone use a LUA based scriptable GUI (and bitmaps+script are included) it would be an interesting task to reskin them ...
How hard would that be? Would it be possible to get rid of tabs? and put all the synth parameters back on one page? There is plenty of room...
Last edited by pdxindy on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have no idea... ;) Theoreticaly, yes...

DHR53 wrote:Er, 3 screens? That doesn't bother me... But I do think their new GUI's are too small. I guess that's a byproduct of the mobile age maybe?
No, it's the byproduct of developers not considering their users, graphical design, and the current state of large screens, high resolution, and impending switch to high PPI displays. Graphics have historically been small. Mobile devices with high-ppi displays actually have more pixels in their elements than some desktop stuff.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

paulbreeze wrote:Since these new plugins starting from Chromaphone use a LUA based scriptable GUI (and bitmaps+script are included) it would be an interesting task to reskin them ...
i already reskinned Tassman without that. Though it was just editing bitmaps, the sizes of which could not be changed, nor the controls moved.

Does this LUA-based scriptable GUI support modern image formats and large bitmap sizes?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”