AAS String Studio VS-2 official released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
String Studio VS-2

Er, I am a graphic designer... and I see nothing wrong with the gui. Most Virtual instrument gui's (I own) are too big – so other than Urs who offers the option to select a size, I'd prefer things smaller rather than so big I can't see around the thing to what I'm doing. Feel free to disparage my graphic design skills if you must.

My .02 :)

StringStudio VS-2 GUI has an average size and it is neat. I guess the moans are about Ultra Analog, which sounds nice but has a rather small GUI, actually.

DHR53 wrote:Er, I am a graphic designer... and I see nothing wrong with the gui. Most Virtual instrument gui's (I own) are too big – so other than Urs who offers the option to select a size, I'd prefer things smaller rather than so big I can't see around the thing to what I'm doing. Feel free to disparage my graphic design skills if you must.

There's nothing wrong with the GUI size, not the look. The knobs and overall look is nicer than before. It's the functional layout that is terrible. There is lots of unused space and really poor use of space, requiring tons of tabs that should be accessible at the same time. There are certain thing that should be accessible together, like a filter cutoff and a filter lfo, or more importantly some of the physcial modeling parameters that have a big effect on each other and need to be tweaked together. The old one had all controls visible at the same time (well two main pages which made sense). That is so much more enjoyable to work with regardless of the look. A few tabs aren't bad. Things like effects of course. But parameters that are commonly used together should not be in the same area in different mutually exclusive tabs.

I like the GUI. The new direction of the AAS interfaces are very up-to-date and more user friendly, IMO. The controls are much easier to grab to adjust parameters. Anyone considering buying should consider buying before July 1 . . . the introductory price makes this plugin even sweeter. No regrets here!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
DHR53 wrote:Er, I am a graphic designer... and I see nothing wrong with the gui. Most Virtual instrument gui's (I own) are too big – so other than Urs who offers the option to select a size, I'd prefer things smaller rather than so big I can't see around the thing to what I'm doing. Feel free to disparage my graphic design skills if you must.

There's nothing wrong with the GUI size, not the look. The knobs and overall look is nicer than before. It's the functional layout that is terrible. There is lots of unused space and really poor use of space, requiring tons of tabs that should be accessible at the same time. There are certain thing that should be accessible together, like a filter cutoff and a filter lfo, or more importantly some of the physcial modeling parameters that have a big effect on each other and need to be tweaked together. The old one had all controls visible at the same time (well two main pages which made sense). That is so much more enjoyable to work with regardless of the look. A few tabs aren't bad. Things like effects of course. But parameters that are commonly used together should not be in the same area in different mutually exclusive tabs.
Exactly... they did the functional equivalent of putting filter cutoff, filter resonance and filter envelope all on separate pages.

I didn't upgrade Lounge Lizard from EP-3 to EP-4 because the microtonal functionality was removed, and I didn't upgrade Ultra Analog from VA-1 to VA-2, well, because I seldom use it.

But when I saw that Scala file tuning (that had been removed from Lounge Lizard) had been added to String Studio, I jumped on the upgrade ASAP, and I'm very happy with this purchase.

I don't know how easily this functionality could be added to Ultra Analog, Lounge Lizard and Chromophone -- the current models may not allow for this -- but minimal GUI rework would be necessary to add this feature as implemented in String Studio VS-2 (in which the Tune label is clickable, opening a tuning pop-up).

Part of the appeal of physical modeling is the ability to create the sound of instruments that don't exist in the physical world. This aspect is only enhanced by the ability to use non-standard tunings.

cannot the scale tunings load! OSX 10.9.4

what can i do?

veloheinz wrote:cannot the scale tunings load! OSX 10.9.4

what can i do?
Why not ask them?
support@applied-acoustics.com

AAS is among the most reactive companies in the relations with their customers. One of the best technical supports ever!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Yasha wrote:I didn't upgrade Lounge Lizard from EP-3 to EP-4 because the microtonal functionality was removed, and I didn't upgrade Ultra Analog from VA-1 to VA-2, well, because I seldom use it.

But when I saw that Scala file tuning (that had been removed from Lounge Lizard) had been added to String Studio, I jumped on the upgrade ASAP, and I'm very happy with this purchase.

I don't know how easily this functionality could be added to Ultra Analog, Lounge Lizard and Chromophone -- the current models may not allow for this -- but minimal GUI rework would be necessary to add this feature as implemented in String Studio VS-2 (in which the Tune label is clickable, opening a tuning pop-up).

Part of the appeal of physical modeling is the ability to create the sound of instruments that don't exist in the physical world. This aspect is only enhanced by the ability to use non-standard tunings.
Yeah I was pleased they added microtuning support - it was really needed in String Studio but it is also annoying that they took it out of LL and have not added it, after many requests, to Chromaphone which also really needs it (as well as basic things like pitchbend and aftertouch support).

veloheinz wrote:cannot the scale tunings load! OSX 10.9.4

what can i do?
Working for me on OSX Mavericks - you need to put them in the Scales directory in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Applied Acoustics Systems/Scala Tunings

AAS released yesterday the Present Bank : Harmonic Geometry by Richard Devine for String Studio 2

Here is a first part of the sounds of this bank: Pad, Effects, Plugged and Keys. Have fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhT2f33r3Eg
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Got the review this recently, and here is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6FxKxPv3I

I took the plunge a couple of days ago, and I'm glad I did. The "Harmonic Geometry" patches are particularly excellent.

This is my third AAS plug-in, behind the excellent Chromaphone and Lounge Lizard.

I love what they do.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

Made the video and I love also this sound pack, it's really great
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

VS-2 is my first of AAS and the one used the most in their line.
If I could only have one AAS product, this is that one.
This new sound set is great.
Every bit worth the $19.00

Return to “Instruments”