Does knowing it's 'NFR' keep you from buying?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: i reckon there are very few of us that NEED music software. either way, that aint for you to judge

stop being a prick for the sake of it. You know exactly what i mean. NEED FM sounds, buy an FM synth. NEED really good string sounds? Buy a really good string libray.
WANT FM sounds? but EVERY FM synth there is.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

i would eventually like to replace all of the plugs i sold, because i don't buy unnecessary shit in the first place

so now you have to buy them twice, thats clever
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
thanks for skooling me on the banking process...who would've known ?? i could leave my money in a bank, or i could invest in tools that aid my workflow.

Not you clearly, otherwise you wouldnt be selling stuff then buying it again
i'll play "prick" to your 'fukkin idiot'

i bought software years back, with no intention of selling. got a lot of use out of it. life situation changed, and i found myself needing money. sold software and got myself back on an even keel. why would i not buy back the software that i found to be of use to me ??

here's an example. bought reaktor for 120 euros. used for some years. sold for 95 euros (because there was no other option) bought again, 2 years later, for 80 euros. not bad going, really. of course, according to you, i should never have bought the software in the first place (better to let the banks speculate and profit from it). and what a crime that i should think to re-buy it when i was able

i bet you creamed yourself when you saw this thread; such a perfect opportunity to look down your nose at folk :roll:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: of course, according to you, i should never have bought the software in the first place

never said that, try to understand what you are reading, theres a good boy. I said dont buy shit you dont need. If you are so desperate you need to sell cheap software for cash, fair enough. You should make better provisions of course, make hay while the sun shines etc etc.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:better to let the banks speculate and profit from it
..and earn interest yourself :roll:

Kriminal wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: of course, according to you, i should never have bought the software in the first place

never said that, try to understand what you are reading, theres a good boy. I said dont buy shit you dont need. If you are so desperate you need to sell cheap software for cash, fair enough. You should make better provisions of course, make hay while the sun shines etc etc.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:better to let the banks speculate and profit from it
..and earn interest yourself :roll:
You are throwing that word "need" around again, and yet you will seemingly only suffer your own definition (whatever that may be). I made the mistake of questioning why any of us need any of it, and fell into your trap. So, what to say ?? Nothing, i guess. I didn't NEED reaktor, of course. Where were you when i needed you to stop me buying things i didn't NEED ?? All that money that could have been saved

I am not one of these people who has laundry lists of plugs, and even longer lists of purchasing regrets (not even judging them, anyhow). Only one of my plugs is destined to go unused, as it doesn't work on my current os. So, need or not, all my plug purchases fulfilled some 'need'. All of them are missed, and i see nothing wrong with me keeping an eye on the marketplace to see if i can get them back

I bought cheap, sold cheap, and will re-buy cheap

in marketplace by Kriminal; May 19th, '14, 17:52
Kriminal wrote:Wow, that is a good price. I'd snap it up, but im trying not to buy stuff for a few months.
here in this thread you catch attention by criticizing people who sell their stuff 2nd hand while in another thread a few weeks ago you are a potential buyer of 2nd hand stuff. :dog:

you are good for a laugh not more.. :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Personally, the only software I have that is NFR is what came with Cakewalk/Sonar. And the only thing the NFR label has kept me from so far is two Image Line Products. But if I do see them on a SDOTD, I may get them anyway. :)

Do I need them? No. But if they're cheap enough, it doesn't seem to matter.
(By cheap, I mean nothing higher than my monthly coffee bill.)
And at least one of the IL has a quirkiness to be different in it's own way.

I wouldn't buy anything as resold by say, Spectrasonics, for that reason though, unless the asking price was less than half of MAP to consider. And I think it prevents me more from buying any resold software in that regard.
Even if I never sell it, it's always nice to have the option.

Not really, I don't think about it because I really want the product. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I actually don't care if a software is NFR or not. I've literally eaten thousands of dollars in software and samples that I don't use anymore. It's just money. It's spent, it's gone and that's that. Not the end of the world. I keep them as mementos and just move on. I'm the one who made the decision to buy it, if I don't use it after a month, that's my problem, not the developers problem. This is the price one pays for GAS. It comes with the territory. The main thing is having fun with this stuff. That's what it's all about.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

no. I have a bunch of stuff I put here that is NFR. i'm not a pawn shop, so I generally buy things to use them.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Orbit-50 wrote:I actually don't care if a software is NFR or not. I've literally eaten thousands of dollars in software and samples that I don't use anymore. It's just money. It's spent, it's gone and that's that. Not the end of the world. I keep them as mementos and just move on. I'm the one who made the decision to buy it, if I don't use it after a month, that's my problem, not the developers problem. This is the price one pays for GAS. It comes with the territory. The main thing is having fun with this stuff. That's what it's all about.

.-.
For some people, not being able to sell things they own OF VALUE is the end of the world. Plenty of people come on hard times, out of the blue, and have to start selling stuff off. I have, and I know several other people who have.

As for Kriminal's illogical fallacies, I don't know where to begin. Isn't this forum supposed to be moderated?

Personally speaking it all depends on the terms :

Free license ie: beta testing and contribution NFR no issue

Buying second hand - NFR fully understandable unless tied to dongle/hardware licensing.

Lifetime license like Fruityloops not an issue of course there's always a chance that the product gets to end of it's life and a new product comes along as superceeding, so always a risk. No different if a dev goes out of business either.

If a business goes under I believe the licenses should become free for all but that's another debate!

From new - depending on the price I would certainly think twice and hesitate.

So yes it has stopped me from buying the same as extortionate transfer fees (not mentioning any names)!

murnau wrote:in marketplace by Kriminal; May 19th, '14, 17:52
Kriminal wrote:Wow, that is a good price. I'd snap it up, but im trying not to buy stuff for a few months.
here in this thread you catch attention by criticizing people who sell their stuff 2nd hand while in another thread a few weeks ago you are a potential buyer of 2nd hand stuff. :dog:

do try harder....my criticism is about ppl whose main concern when buying stuff, is if they can sell it later.

Kriminal wrote:
murnau wrote:in marketplace by Kriminal; May 19th, '14, 17:52

do try harder....my criticism is about ppl whose main concern when buying stuff, is if they can sell it later.
i recommend sending your potential sellers a questionary where they have to elucidate the reasons for their buy/sale etc.. ..not that you support such bad behaviour by accident. :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

it does now, I bought some image line impulse buys on sale that I still don't use. also other products that I can't remember. then again my GAS is almost non-existent these days anyway.

Not really. I bought lush 101 without knowing I could sell it (i found out later I could) because I demo'd a bunch of vst's to find the one that suit me best. Maybe it will stop me from impulse buying, but if I want a vst because it sounds great, I'll buy it.

Not realizing that some vendors have a policy that precludes reselling -- bit me once. Now I double-check before purchasing. In my case, it was eSoundz who I had picked up an IKM library from. I was unable to use it, but found out too late, that their terms and conditions don't allow reselling software purchased from them. Expensive lesson, but thankfully -- not overly expensive. As someone who gets GAS, I frequently pick up sonic libs that I don't realize are lacking, until I have time to go through the full package (post purchase). So -- in my case, i pay attention now, and buy from vendors who allow resell.

Return to “Instruments”