microtonic = best percussion synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got a nice offer and afaik it is said to be still one of the best for percs still.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

It is the best drum synth/drum machine - PERIOD.

The things this thing can do are are almost unimaginable... and almost limitless (well, to ME they are "almost" as I am sure I don't poses the knowledge to exploit it to its fullest).

AFAIC, it is a true VINTAGE, although it is made from bis of code, as apposed to bit of electronics and iron.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I just asked for percussion help in sound design. I already demos it :(

This thing is still the king. Everything else is a bad imitation.

Luv Microtonic<3 Best drum synth ever!!!

218 wrote:Luv Microtonic<3 Best drum synth ever!!!
Yup :tu:

isn't telling people that a synth with filtered noise for $99 is the best kind of like stabbing them in the face?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

It's amazing what you can do with filtered noise.
:borg:

The sound morph feature is awwwsome :love:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

i'm sorry.. i'm really not posting this as a competitor. people have been posting about utonic as the godsend of percussion snythesis since it was released (11 years ago..) as someone who has has an established interest in (percussion) synthesis since before that time, i promptly forgot about using microtonic after looking at the gui when it was released.

i see a sample slot and filtered noise. now that you mention it nielzie, i do see an ad on the page for a new morphing feature.. though without looking too hard, it appears to be only a patch morph?

i'm being lazy not to install the demo, but at the same time, i kinda feel like you all owe me an explanation :x :hihi: it's like watching james bond date a realdoll, you just have to ask.

if it were an FFT bin morph between samples, and it had been that way since 2003, i'd understand the enthusiasm. but all i see are profoundly pedestrian features

i have to repeat that again,

so pedestrian that i felt sort of angered that commercial releases were offering such a paltry featureset when it was released

and it's not like i don't get simplicity, i just don't get simplicity with a $99 entrance fee

profoundly pedestrian features, so i've always had to presume the affectation is due to workflow, colour scheme or, more likely, something akin to nepotism. if it simply morphs between the coefficients of two patches, i'm facepalming. if there's some kind of spectral morphing, congratulations! i finally see why anyone would use this over askayum or such...... taking us back to 2003.

personally, my best guess is that this whole thread is like a trap to ensnare the unsuspecting into unfulfilling purchases, creating frustration and desire for rectification and perhaps luring them into a chain of make-up purchases.

i shouldn't post when i'm not understanding other people, they are less silly.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Sour grapes, party of one!

I personally love Microtonic. Best drum synth I've used, although the included drum synths in Bitwig are quite nice, too.
-Tom

https://assemblage23.bandcamp.com
http:/helix.bandcamp.com

I bought it shortly after it was released, and still use it regularly. It sounds great, it's easy to use and intuitive, but deeper and more complex than it first seems.

No samples involved BTW, it's a pure synth. Give it a proper try before you dismiss it: I've definitely had my monies worth over the years.

Haha yes, it's "only" a patch morph feature, but you can have great effects with it :D MicroTonic is one of those drum synths/sequencers that have that ehhh "sweet spot" that is nice sounding, easy to use, nice sequencer with drag/drop, low cpu, and cool features like the morphing and.. Paternium! Oh.. and of course Easter Eggs :hihi:

It's certainly not the only drumsynth you'd ever need though, but it's like the Sylenth1 of drumsynths.

For complimenting I really like to use Drumatic 4 and your BONG too. Sometimes I use the sequencer and then drag/drop the midi to my DAW and then replace the drums with BONG, Drumatic or samples. :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I must admit, I don't what all the fuss about this plugin is either. I've listened to lots of demos and I know of a few tracks that use it and it always sounded kinda plasticky and weak to me. I played around with the demo too a while back and it seemed to need lots processing just to get it to sit right in a track. Mind you I'm very picky and fussy about electronic drum sounds. If a sound doesn't cut through a mix pretty damn well without any processing I know I'm not going to click with it. The best drums in software, for me, (apart from what I can get out of the Nord G2) are Marvin Vst's plugins. Best emulated 909 toms I ever heard. Nearly all the sounds in his plugins cut through the mix like a knife without any processing usually.
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I prefer Waldorf Attack to microtonic. The oscillators have more waveshapes and you can do much of the same stuff, the noise modulation, FM, etc, and more. Plus, it has S+H stepped noise as well as white noise, so you can throw in a bit of a videogame C64 vibe to your percussion. The envelopes are a bit weird to figure out, but once you have them sussed, it's great fun.

Plus, you get a LOT of slots to put sounds, so if you want to make copies of your main drums - bass, snare, hat, etc, with different types of modulation and articulations, you can.

Doubleplus, it simply sounds good :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Instruments”