Instrument Making Software for Live Performance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: The Seaboard would allow a level of expressiveness for a variety of instrument types that you could not match with a regular piano controller.
Cheers
Like many instruments, the Seaboard demands to played in a certain way. So while it produces a system which allows you to be 'more' expressive in some ways, it does so at the expense of techniques I use to express other ways.

It is unfortunately a trade off, and for me, I found what the Seaboard allows me to do, I can already do on a traditional board with performance controllers. It has a long way to go before I would consider it as anything but a passing fad.

BBFG# wrote:
pdxindy wrote: The Seaboard would allow a level of expressiveness for a variety of instrument types that you could not match with a regular piano controller.
Cheers
Like many instruments, the Seaboard demands to played in a certain way. So while it produces a system which allows you to be 'more' expressive in some ways, it does so at the expense of techniques I use to express other ways.

It is unfortunately a trade off, and for me, I found what the Seaboard allows me to do, I can already do on a traditional board with performance controllers. It has a long way to go before I would consider it as anything but a passing fad.
I'm interested in how you do polyphonic modulation on a traditional board... including poly AT, poly note bending, poly note sustain

Also, I would not argue that the Seaboard is an endpoint... but rather part of an ongoing exploration of new controller tech.

I'm interested in how you do polyphonic modulation on a traditional board...
300 years ago J S Bach was doing it on a daily basis! But joking aside, you could do this with two keyboards and pedals. I do see the potential in this sort of thing however. But for me personally, the Seaboard would close more doors than it would open. Now as a secondary instrument it might be useful.

There were a lot of unusual instruments that came and went in music history- the pedal piano (used by Liszt and Schumann among others) and Handel's "microtonal" organ, just to name a couple in the keyboard family. Even if the vast majority of new instruments are impractical dead ends, every now and then there might be a little breakthrough that sticks, like replacing the plectrum of a harpsichord with a felt covered hammer... So I'm all for experimentation.

Return to “Instruments”