VST closest to Virus A/B?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy DUNE DUNE 3 Helix Spire Sylenth1 SynthMaster 2 Z3TA+

chk071 wrote:Not that i want to start a discussion about this kind of thing... but i find it interesting that there are loads of threads like these, asking for software equivalents for hardware synths, while there's only very few threads in the other direction. The most mentioned soft synth in that regard would be Sylenth, which many want to replace, especially due to its lack of development, and 64-bit mac version. It's interesting how certain hardware synths get this kind of "legendary" status, while the same doesn't really apply to soft synths. I know that it's not exactly the case here, as the OP just seems to be eager to have a replacement for doing sketches mostly, but to me, there seems to be some sort of "psychological" thing involved in most cases. Hardware always seems to have some "legend status" potential, even though in most cases, there's software which is on par, or even better. Don't get me wrong, i don't want to criticize that, and i don't think anyone including me is immune to that, just find it interesting.
Well, I think it's not always psychological, at least not in the way you're thinking about it. Here's my take on it. If the ___________ (insert name hardware synth here) is a cornerstone of your "sound," then get one. No plug-in will probably do it for you. If you kind of dig the sound of a synth like the Virus from time to time, any of the mentioned synths will probably get you most of the way there. I'm in the second camp. I had a Virus C. I liked it plenty, but frankly found I was fine replacing it with Sylenth1, z3ta+, even Zebra 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iav45egrmo
:phones:

Hell, I guess with Zebra being a modular you could actually patch the identical architecture of a Virus in it. So, even though the OP already said he found his synth, I'm stepping in and telling him he's wrong. :clown: I bet you could do it with VAZ Modular too.

The reason this doesn't go the other way is that most VSTs are so cheap that no one is sitting around trying to duplicate the sound of a $179 plug in $1799 hardware. Chances are the hardware will probably do a bit better especially in the areas of resonance. For comparisons I've done Discovery Pro sounds in my Nord Lead 2x. It was interesting. The Nord aliased a bit more giving it a brighter grittier sound but the Nord also had true unison that Discovery Pro did not. The latest build of Discovery Pro does now have unison. I tried it and it didn't strike me as sounding as good as the Nord's unison, but I no longer have the Nord around. Like I said, it wasn't the "cornerstone" of my sound, so it wasn't worth the money or space it was taking up in my studio when I can get Discovery Pro almost all the way there when I want that sound. I also tried to get some Diva patches to sound the same as my KingKORG, and I found the KingKORG actually sounded a bit better. Warmer, yet also at the same time more present. I'm not selling Diva any time soon, as it's awesome in it's own way but I wanted to have at least one hardware VA around and I like the sound of the KingKORG more than the Virus. Hell, I'd probably own a Nord Lead A1 rack instead of the KingKORG if they releaed a firmware update that allowed me to assign aftertouch to various parameters. I dig it's sound more than the Lead 4 and I like the smaller form factor.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

codec_spurt wrote: I only used a Virus B for a bit, and that is it, but nothing else I have heard convinces me otherwise.
Most ppl associate the virus with the hypersaw sound. Its not in those early models.

Kriminal wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I didnt say a virus sounds good.....the OP is looking for a software synth that sounds like a virus....

Put your pink panties back on!

I never said you did.
Never took them off, just clarifying, to try and calm your rant
Now you're just being kinky!

Kriminal wrote:
codec_spurt wrote: I only used a Virus B for a bit, and that is it, but nothing else I have heard convinces me otherwise.
Most ppl associate the virus with the hypersaw sound. Its not in those early models.

Well that's true, but people associate the virus with big honking fat bass sounds too.

There was a big fuss about Virus B or C. The C was persona non grata and the B was de rigueur. Excuse my Latin.

Never could get the f**ker to work with Logic on the Mac though.

Studio owner paid top dollar for it.

Later, I heard the C was better than the B.

Who gives a f**k, they are all shit.

Mediocre synth with mega marketing.

If anything it sounds too fat.

codec_spurt wrote:If anything it sounds too fat.
Is that even possible?! ;)

I think you might be thinking of those ultra harmonically rich supersaw/hypersaw/floopysaw TI models, which I kind of associate with the Virus too, even though the A, B and C models didn't have it. It's not to say that you couldn't get in that neighborhood using unison and effects, but all of it is the fault of the preset authors. The presets are always too drenched with effects IMO. Those sounds are good for giant intros or breaks but you're right, they make little sense in the context of the body of most arrangements. No matter, they're pretty easy to learn synths to program, though some of the menu diving on the C I had was annoying. I imagine with the TIs that kind of thing would be easy with their software editor.

Again, I have fondness for the Access synths, I really do, but not enough to own one. I can get those sounds from software. Well, at least close enough for my taste. I really like the KingKORG a lot more, but it's a character thing, not a matter of quality. Also, I paid $700 for a used KingKORG and most Viruses are a lot more. I suppose I could get a used Snow for around that, but the KingKORG sounded a bit more organic to my ears, though I hate that it takes up a ton of space.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Z3TA using Cytomic The DROP as the filter, LFO and ENV.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Could somebody link to some tracks that use any of the virus synths in a big way? I keep hearing how good people think they are but I've yet to be introduced. Anyone?
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

For supersaw you're better off with a JP-8000 it's super saw is better than the Virus hypersaw. DIVA has the best emulation of that.

Jp-8000 Supersaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFXcN21cj7g

do_androids_dream wrote:Could somebody link to some tracks that use any of the virus synths in a big way? I keep hearing how good people think they are but I've yet to be introduced. Anyone?
Pick a random trance tune from 2004 on or so. :hihi:

There are quite a few nice demos on Youtube though. E.g. this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Tgj_vrgY0

Shame i can't find the one from that polish synth guy now. I also forgot his name unfortunately... it was very nice. I really like the Virus sound. It's lush and also somehow gritty at the same time, probably due to the often used filter drive, or the osc's, dunno. Also very warm sounding.

Ah, found them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpxEWALJ1yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhmvoYd0dRE
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That video is rad! First time I ever wanted a hard synth, its like all my favorite vsti's rolled into one and better sounding, Ill probably end up getting it one of these days.. So out of all the access line up are the A/B regarded as the best for trance types, making in particular one for goa type sounds. I know the nord is good for goa/psy
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I would rather go for a newer one, as those feature that hypersaw thingie... and they will have more features generally too, and USB integration. If i ever happen to buy a hardware synth, it would be a Virus too. Probably used though, as they are way out of my budget...

Nice video links. I tend to compare everything to the nord lead (being a huge AE fan)... If the nord is tight, focused and cutting I would say the sound I can hear in those videos sound kinda saturated, a bit fuzzy, fat but in a digital fuzzy sorta way. Doesn't seem to have a distinct character - more a neutral 'colour'. Functional rather than distinct.

do androids dream can you also post a video of the nord sound you mentioned?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

ALL nord lead afaik (from what I gather from their interviews) - apparently not all the tracks on this ep are all nord but I think these two almost cerainly are..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBmECIv9w0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD1xgJ4U88Y

TheFuzz wrote:Does anyone know of a simple vst that has the same configuration as a Virus A or B?
Klangformer? :D The Virus patch import is broken tho.

Now seriously. If you're looking for a Virus ITB my suggestions would be:
- Virus PoCo for that 1999 sound
- Spire (very TI-ish)
- Sylenth, z3ta, Dune, etc.

Return to “Instruments”