What does "Sign into my retail website with your FB, Twitter, etc. account" mean?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just encountered this for the first time at a site that had a free sample based instrument offered.

Why does a retailer want me to sign in with my Facebook or Twitter account? :?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Maybe to get some personal data from you?

I've had a Soundcloud and a Bandcamp account I initially logged onto via Facebook. Which I did out of abject laziness. It didn't mean anything to me subsequently, or not that I ever noticed. I think if I deleted all my logins and I forgot my Facebook login it would be a slight PITA.

I think you could be in grave danger of being notified of tweets if you do it that way.

Whenever I've done this "log in to extraneous website with Facebook, Twitter" I always get this opt-in dialog which says something to the effect that "this application can read your tweets, post tweets for you, see who you follow and follow people", which just sounds downright godawful. I'm not really sure how literally to take all that stuff, though.

I dislike the whole idea of a retailer wanting me to sign in with a social networking account. Seems very, very fishy to me, and also kind of hard to explain in any other way than fishy.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Return to “Instruments”