Let's talk about wavetable synths!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

KrisM wrote:Future Audio Workshop's Circle is a favourite of mine and they have a wavetable editor you can download, too. And the interface is the best I've ever seen for modulation routing, no learning curve at all.
Yeah, FAW Circle is nice, a really good bargain. I like that you can see the wavetables you're adding.
zerocrossing wrote: Reason's always intrigued me and bugged me. To me it's like the Apple Computer of DAWs. A nice tight set of well integrated features, but very closed in a sence, though I guess there are plug-ins now. Even that bugs me. Did it have to be a new proprietary format? I have no doubt that it's a powerful tool, I just wish they used the VST format for plug ins.
I won't try to convince anyone of the logic behind Reason ;-). The whole is more than the sum of its parts, and I tend to get more tracks done in Reason than other DAWs/environments. At the same time, ReWire is kinda clunky, and Reason's MIDI sequencing/arranging tools are good, but not on the level of Logic or Cubase.

I only use the free Rack Extensions though I'd consider paying for ones I really liked. The no-VST thing makes sense to me in terms of maintaining Reason's legendary stability (I think it's crashed once in the 6 years I've used it). I also don't believe you can do arbitrary inter-device "CV" /MIDI routing in VST land (maybe VST3 though), and definitely not with AUs.

Numanoid wrote:
chroma wrote:No... 32 bit only. But was working fine bridged here.
There is a tempting second hand sale on in the market place now, seller asking just €30
Careful with that. I already told that guy I'd buy it when he had it for $40 but since he only had 3 posts I told him I'd paypal him after he made the transfer. He agreed... and then lowered the price on the thread? I think he thinks he can just email you his licence number and get a quick chunk of cash.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Winstontaneous wrote:
KrisM wrote:Future Audio Workshop's Circle is a favourite of mine and they have a wavetable editor you can download, too. And the interface is the best I've ever seen for modulation routing, no learning curve at all.
Yeah, FAW Circle is nice, a really good bargain. I like that you can see the wavetables you're adding.
zerocrossing wrote: Reason's always intrigued me and bugged me. To me it's like the Apple Computer of DAWs. A nice tight set of well integrated features, but very closed in a sence, though I guess there are plug-ins now. Even that bugs me. Did it have to be a new proprietary format? I have no doubt that it's a powerful tool, I just wish they used the VST format for plug ins.
I won't try to convince anyone of the logic behind Reason ;-). The whole is more than the sum of its parts, and I tend to get more tracks done in Reason than other DAWs/environments. At the same time, ReWire is kinda clunky, and Reason's MIDI sequencing/arranging tools are good, but not on the level of Logic or Cubase.

I only use the free Rack Extensions though I'd consider paying for ones I really liked. The no-VST thing makes sense to me in terms of maintaining Reason's legendary stability (I think it's crashed once in the 6 years I've used it). I also don't believe you can do arbitrary inter-device "CV" /MIDI routing in VST land (maybe VST3 though), and definitely not with AUs.
No, I understand why Reason is attractive to people, but there are just too many VST tools I rely on for it to make sense to me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Winstontaneous wrote:Yeah, FAW Circle is nice, a really good bargain. I like that you can see the wavetables you're adding.
And don't forget it will soon receive an update, circle squared:
If you purchase Circle from our download store today, you’ll also receive a free upgrade to Circle² on release day, so there’s never been a better time to join the ever-growing community of Circle users worldwide.

Winstontaneous wrote:The whole is more than the sum of its parts, and I tend to get more tracks done in Reason than other DAWs/environments.
+1 Less instrument options can in fact aid the process, as one doesn't get swamped by options.

But then again even though one can't utilizes VST's in Reason, there are tons of refills to choose from, so one is hardly out of choice nevertheless.

Return to “Instruments”