LAST CHANCE! Poly-Ana and L'il Poly-Ana 1.20 BETA w. OSX x64 AU support!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm Running the beta just fine on my early 2008 Mac Pro...just remember to show your Library folder by holding down the option key while in the Go drop down from the taskbar at the top of the screen...the only thing that slowed me down was the user/library location being invisible until I did this.

Got it.Default synth brass patch is loverly.
This has such a beautiful sound. Just playing some sort of keyboard strumming with default patch gave me goose pimples.Oh just checked out the slow strings.. beautiful.

Oh yes this has a very warm warm tone to it.

I see only 12 polyphony? Sure you will consider making it 16 at least? That's one reason i could never use v station for pads, cause at 8 kept on cutting out with long release.

Perhaps 12 was when cpu's were weaker and poly ana first appeared? In logic at 12 voices holding keys down it is not even using half a thread, 16 would be fine and honestly my machine is one of the weakest around these parts these days.

OMG the lfo trick preset - WOW! anyway...

You know, i have to be blunt here, this is simply one of the finest synths i have ever heard. Ever.

I still want to get it regardless of polyphony limitation - and even though it means i will be surviving on frozen food for a bit longer - and even though I really AM selling most of my stuff and shutting shop just about and only keeping a select few things and pledging not to ever buy any more again, i am still considering buying this BECAUSE:

1) i am sick and tried of other "big name" synths being in the spotlight and discussed here to death and real gems like these are under appreciated - and i want to support the little guy
2) It sounds bloody gorgeous

Honestly the only thing holding me back now is the NFR policy. I have sworn never to buy anything (especially in my state of health) that is not resellable, as i could go deaf tomorrow and be unable to make music for example.

I don't want to be negative, but just letting you know in fact that yours is the first product i have considered in many years to buy that goes against my "resale"policy. In fact that is a compliment. It sounds THAT good that i am trying to control my impulses, and it would be the only new synth i ever buy again till i am dead pretty much (seriously) unless I am uber rich one day and have my hearing completely restored and a new back by some miracle LOL. Your synth is the only one that has me questioning my own decisions cause i want it that bad.! Anyway, please don't be offended or get mad if i decide against it, cause when i said i'd buy it i hadn't gone to your FAQ yet to see the NFR thing and had no idea, i always just presume the best so to speak.

So i have some thinking to do but the quality of the sounds and presets is undeniable. Anyone else on the fence, who doesn't care about resell status, i implore you to run and get this!

TheoM wrote: I see only 12 polyphony? Sure you will consider making it 16 at least? That's one reason i could never use v station for pads, cause at 8 kept on cutting out with long release.

Perhaps 12 was when cpu's were weaker and poly ana first appeared? In logic at 12 voices holding keys down it is not even using half a thread, 16 would be fine and honestly my machine is one of the weakest around these parts these days.
Thanks for the kind words.

As for polyphony, a limit is a feature actually. You can't play proper poly-synth technique without a voice limitation and "voice-stealing". It allows you to play long release sounds but have previous chords cut out when you play a new chords (if you do it right) keeping the different chords from clashing. We did this all the time on our 5, 6 and 8 voice synths, back in the day. And as it has more voices than any of the classic synths it's meant to evoke, I think it's just fine with 12. (You only have 10 fingers, after all.) And again, it's meant to be a poly-synth from circa 1977, not a modern, digital, ROMpler where you might want to play an every-key piano glissando with the damper down.

That said, I've put some thought into adding an unlimited mode to Poly-Ana 2.x. But it breaks the poly-synth paradigm so I'm not sure it's possible. Each of those voices have their own state. They're not instantiated into existence when needed then discarded to oblivion when they're done playing their note, as a lot of virtual instruments do. Again, this is a feature as the previous state of a voice affects its new state when a new note is started (or *stolen*). Without voice-stealing, you lose a big part of the controllability of a classic poly-synth and we'd be doing a poor job of emulating a vintage synth. Sometimes less is more.

TheoM wrote:OMG the lfo trick preset - WOW! anyway...

You know, i have to be blunt here, this is simply one of the finest synths i have ever heard. Ever.
Thank you! If I do say so myself, I agree. That's exactly why I built it.

I still want to get it regardless of polyphony limitation - and even though it means i will be surviving on frozen food for a bit longer -
You and me both, brother! (In fact, I'm out of frozen food and am down to my last two cans of tuna and just spent my last $2.57 on a coffee.)

Honestly the only thing holding me back now is the NFR policy. I have sworn never to buy anything (especially in my state of health) that is not resellable, as i could go deaf tomorrow and be unable to make music for example.
The issue with that (well, one of them) is that then it would be possible for someone to buy a bunch of licenses when we have a sale, then re-sell them at a profit in competition to us later on!

The other issue is that there's no way to ensure the original owner doesn't maintain the ability to run it themselves.

Finally, customers are work. Some days I don't get a thing done for all the customer support I do, which always takes immediate priority over everything else. Ask anyone who's dealt with us. They get replies immediately, assuming I'm awake. And always within 24 hours. Try that with Native-Yamaberguria or whoever! So adding yet more customers adds to that load. (We also have no way to verify that the transferee is who they say they are. As they didn't make a PayPal transaction with us.)

(You could certainly try to trick us. Particularly now that we've gone to the honor system and portable key-files. But if we catch you we'll cut off that license in future updates.)

And as it says on our FAQ page, we take this policy into account in our pricing. You're telling me this is the best sounding softsynth ever, well compare its price to the competition. (Which are frequently in the $240 range for virtual analogs with this kind of depth of features.)

If you'd like, you can think of it as the license transfer fee being $89.95. :)

i know which is why it's such a strong consideration. I think you have nailed the cpu/sound ratio spot on. I think it sounds better than diva personally. I know they are different things, but i just prefer the sound to this one.

I can't say i haven't broken my own rules as i've bought a few RE's which are ALL nfr for life, but see that is true too i tend to be using reason alot more these days, so it makes it a semi tough choice again.

I wonder if you'd ever consider an RE... it would have to be a much more 2 d design with some knobs missing, but i can honestly tell you that nothing in reason sounds remotely like it and i think it *could* be done in a 2 rack space like predator.

Would you be at all interested in me doing a poll at the props forum to see if there's any interest?

TheoM wrote: I wonder if you'd ever consider an RE... it would have to be a much more 2 d design with some knobs missing, but i can honestly tell you that nothing in reason sounds remotely like it and i think it *could* be done in a 2 rack space like predator.

Would you be at all interested in me doing a poll at the props forum to see if there's any interest?
No! It's their own fault for not supporting VST. We cant afford to chase everyone and their dog's new, redundant plug-in formats. Same thing with ProTools, they're giant a-holes. (A long time ago we applied to be anointed with permission to create plug-ins for their bitchy host. They never even had the decency to reply with a "no".) Proprietary formats are a PROBLEM, not a SOLUTION! They disable the user, instead of enable you. There is one party to blame for that, and it sure ain't me!

(Sorry, touchy issue! :) )

On the other hand, we have one customer (the incredible Vim Cortez) who's recent EP (which is awesome, get it!) is DRENCHED in Poly-Ana, yet was produced in ProTools. (Poly-Ana sounded so good on it that I actually assumed it was mostly real analogs when I first heard it. I asked him which, if any, of the synths were Poly and he totally stunned me when he said, "Almost all of them!")

He ran Poly-Ana in Reaper, synced to ProTools through Re-Wire. So there you go, that's how Propellor-people can use Poly-Ana!

http://vimcortez.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoXNYoJluP4

AdmiralQuality wrote:
TheoM wrote: I wonder if you'd ever consider an RE... it would have to be a much more 2 d design with some knobs missing, but i can honestly tell you that nothing in reason sounds remotely like it and i think it *could* be done in a 2 rack space like predator.

No! It's their own fault for not supporting VST. We cant afford to chase everyone and their dog's new, redundant plug-in formats. Same thing with ProTools, they're giant a-holes. (A long time ago we applied to be anointed with permission to create plug-ins for their bitchy host. They never even had the decency to reply with a "no".) Proprietary formats are a PROBLEM, not a SOLUTION! They disable the user, instead of enable you. There is one party to blame for that, and it sure ain't me!

(Sorry, touchy issue! :) )

props don't reject anyone, it is impossible for there ever to be a pirate version out there, ever, and they handle all sales and downloads and support. It's a much better system than you think. It's actually your loss in this case, as i would predict minimum 2,000 sales for sure. (let's say you sell it for $149, they take $49 per sale roughly, you still get 200,000, and over time it could even generate you a million dollars. There is power in advertising. This is all done for you with them).

TheoM wrote: ...This is all done for you with them).
Yeah. No.

Regardless, i have 100% decided to buy the AU, and will do so next payday (7 days exactly). My word is my word. I will use it via ext mid out in reason and image line minihost.

In the meantime, as you are stubborn, so am I, and have created a topic there anyway just to know if i am tripping, or you really are making a mistake not doing RE. Cheers!

(please don't be nasty or short, I have done nothing wrong to you, and that topic only praises your product).

TheoM wrote:Regardless, i have 100% decided to buy the AU, and will do so next payday (7 days exactly). My word is my word. I will use it via ext mid out in reason and image line minihost.

In the meantime, as you are stubborn, so am I, and have created a topic there anyway just to know if i am tripping, or you really are making a mistake not doing RE. Cheers!

(please don't be nasty or short, I have done nothing wrong to you, and that topic only praises your product).
Thanks Theo. (You REALLY overestimate the revenues from this kind of business. At least in my experience. The degree of poverty that I manage to continue do this from would astound you.)

(And as I'm not a member, I can't even read their forum. Figures.)

Well you can create an account and read anything. so far response has been positive. someone else also said it would sell like hotcakes. I know for a fact a friend of mine made a lot of money from an RE and is overwhelmed at it's success.

Nexus has sold in the low 20,000 copies now. Yes, you read that right.

Unlike VST, RE can not be hacked, is super stable, and is simply a brilliant format despite still needing some fine tuning for performance. every single thing can be undone, every single person that would be using a poly ana RE would be paying for it end of story, there's NO resale and there never will be which obviously suits your way of thinking, ok they take 30% but they host the downloads, all transactions and the way the whole shop system works is bloody brilliant to be frank. All re's are guaranteed to work even 20 years from now in whatever OS, completely cross platform (i.e you make one version and that's it).. believe me we have some unique Re's that are amazing, and the way they can all be inter modulated is a hoot.

Someone already said they would be the suggested 149 (which was my suggestion).. The topic is early days yet... it already has 18 responses in a couple hours... Reason is a hugely successful program, and there are a lot of users. Alot.

Despite having some great Re synths (antidote, revival, parsec, predator etc) we simply don't have anything like poly ana. It's that simple. The sound will sell it. Nothing more nothing less. People aren't stupid. I have one sided deafness (as in i literally am 100% in mono) and i can hear it clearly. I loaded up a halion sonic pad which i thought was great, then substituted for poly ana and i was blown away at the difference in the actual sound *quality*, on how it just hits you in the gut. others will have the same reaction.

cheers

TheoM wrote:Well you can create an account and read anything. so far response has been positive. someone else also said it would sell like hotcakes. I know for a fact a friend of mine made a lot of money from an RE and is overwhelmed at it's success.
I was told the same thing about x64 support on OSX.

Nexus has sold in the low 20,000 copies now. Yes, you read that right.

Unlike VST, RE can not be hacked,
Don't tempt me. ;)

is super stable,
So is VST 2.4

and is simply a brilliant format despite still needing some fine tuning for performance. every single thing can be undone, every single person that would be using a poly ana RE would be paying for it end of story, there's NO resale and there never will be which obviously suits your way of thinking, ok they take 30% but they host the downloads, all transactions and the way the whole shop system works is bloody brilliant to be frank.
I find all of that severely offensive. Sorry.

All re's are guaranteed to work even 20 years from now in whatever OS, completely cross platform (i.e you make one version and that's it).. believe me we have some unique Re's that are amazing, and the way they can all be inter modulated is a hoot.
Now I'm literally LOLing! Check back with me in 20 years!

Someone already said they would be the suggested 149 (which was my suggestion).. The topic is early days yet... it already has 18 responses in a couple hours... Reason is a hugely successful program, and there are a lot of users. Alot.

Despite having some great Re synths (antidote, revival, parsec, predator etc) we simply don't have anything like poly ana. It's that simple. The sound will sell it. Nothing more nothing less. People aren't stupid. I have one sided deafness (as in i literally am 100% in mono) and i can hear it clearly. I loaded up a halion sonic pad which i thought was great, then substituted for poly ana and i was blown away at the difference in the actual sound *quality*, on how it just hits you in the gut. others will have the same reaction.

cheers
Sorry. They simply don't exist to me, same as their forum doesn't exist. I have serious issues with the proprietary thing. If they want to pay me in advance to make a synth for their proprietary platform, then sure, we can talk. But I'm fine with them disappearing up their own assholes, as they seem to want to.

Please don't support Reason. They are all about money. Version 8 is coming out and it doesn't even have anything new other than a browser , a very bad drag and drop , and couple of other companies RE's bundled. Its an extremely annoying format. I can't use my VST's in Reason . I need to buy them again in RE format. F that. .. and they get 30% for F all.

Return to “Instruments”