Do you use a hardware controller to edit your VST instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Novation SLMKII but I could do with more dials. I'm going to add Novation Launch Control XL http://uk.novationmusic.com/midi-contro ... control-xl

I'm also tempted to get two Novation launch Controls instead.

Does anyone else find it irritating that companies keep crowding knobs together in big grids, killing any sense of intuitively knowing exactly which knob you're reaching for.

Or they put the knobs behind a whole lot of other stuff, so you're always reaching over things to make changes.

A sixteen encoder device, one knob wide and with spacing like the standalone Nocturn, but with better encoders, would really hit the spot for me.

I may just end up making one with the Livid diy stuff.

I use a ReMOTE25 SL for playing and tweaking

also a Launchpad ...

and a BCF2000.

As well as a Doepfer Pocket Control for DJing / tweaking in Live.

It would help a synth newb if you could mention what those "most frequently" used parameters were.

Just looking at various synth without a know per function, it looks like cutoff & resonance are aways present. I also see attack, decay, & sustain... but most synth have at least two envelopes... I don't know which I "should" set up...

I've got a novation zero sl.... I can program all kinds of stuff... I also use Maschine, just about everything is already mapped, but I don't understand the rhyme or reason, or enough to modify the controls for better utility.

I find filters knobs are used most after the sound is ready

Dasheesh wrote:This is the major set back and complaint about software isn't it? I currently use a nocturne 49, but was so frustrated with auto map and the resources it hogged I unistalled it and just use the controller as is. These days most soft instruments have a midi learn, which is a life saver as far as I'm concerned. I'm interested in seeing what the new NEKTAR controllers can do. I'm not holding my breath tho.
User of both SL MkII and Nektar Panorama. Nektar is superior for most things that are pre-mapped. The layout with the knobs, faders & buttons makes more sense to me, and the screen is much better and provides more useful info. The multiple menu structure is imo more logical than the multiple pages in automap. But it has it's quirks too, like for example it won't allow you to adjust values for all tracks in the mixconsole, so you have to disable certain kinds of tracks.

The SL MkII is more flexible. There are a lot of complaints about automap, but I have found it ok for the most part. It works better with some daws than others, eg logic and ableton live. It also works better with some plugins & instruments, so there is a bit of trial & error. In general, the panorama is more stable, and while there may be like 10-15 plugins I've found that crash with automap, I have so far found only 1 that instantly crashes a project with either automap or nektar i.e. AD BigSeq2. The extra layer of software undoubtedly makes it more unstable, and I hope they eventually get rid of it and the wrappers. Having said that, it's much more of an open canvas where anyone can make a mapping according to their own needs/preferences. I haven't explored the panorama's internal mode though, so can't comment on that.

If I had to choose just one, it would be the Panorama, but I'd certainly miss the sl.
Last edited by maschinelf on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yup i use this

Eventually going to upgrade to this

:borg:

All of these are cool, but I need a 1 stop joystick solution! :cry:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Nearly always have these - they are the most important by far:

cc#73 Attack Time
cc#72 Release Time
cc#71 Resonance (aka Timbre)
cc#74 Frequency Cutoff (aka Brightness )

I'll have those on rotary knobs and if there are extra knobs I'll put on whatever extra.

I also have started putting on the full ADSR envelopes on the faders:

So you can literally just shape them as you would the sliders on the plugin for visual feedback. This frees up the other rotary knobs for whatever again.

Nektar Panorama = AWESOME!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

trusampler wrote:Nektar Panorama = AWESOME!
Monodeck = BETTER!

What we need is an INSTRUMENT interface, not a DAW interface. We need a dedicated instrument controller with open architecture that can be freely assignable to a large variety of instruments and is quality in important areas like the key bed, while being light and easily replaceable. That would sell like hotcakes with players. ...and please, no green and red lights together on the interface, it's too christmas like and I intentionally avoid things that have green and red together for that reason.

Just got an Alesis QX61 - it is a lot easier than my old worn out Roland 50. It even has programmable drum pads.

trusampler wrote:Nektar Panorama = AWESOME!

Anyone try the Nektar Impact Line? I went to my local GC to try one out, but they didn't stock them, didn't even have the Panorama.

I like the look of the keys, but the ones on the MAudio Axiom look the same & feel crappy.

I have a five octaves keyboard oldschool KORG synth and my AKAI MPD controller. For sounddesign AKAI rocks. I appreciate eg having the 16 steps mode. If I enable this I have 16 velocity levels of the same note (from 007 - 127) distributed over all 16 pads which is awesome for testing the modulation amount on different strengths. Pretty awesome for drum programming too.

The endless rotaries are smooth as hell and I really dig how easy I can switch CC messages on the fly or copy whole assignments from one pattern to another. It also comes with a pairof MIDI ins/out

And the AKAI only cost me approx 50€ (used) so for me it was a no brainer and big addition of controls to my arsenal.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Return to “Instruments”