74%
Sylenth1
26%

Total votes: 243

RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3 Sylenth1

Hi guys,

I want to know who's the winner for you between these two monster synths, Dune2 and Sylenth1.

Although Sylenth1 has filters that haven't been surpassed yet not even by dune2 in my opinion, d2 comes very close.

But the thing that makes me prefer dune2 is its versatility, the massive mod matrix and the MSEG's make it the winner for me, the modulation of Sylenth1 is very simplistic and poor.

Let me know what you think, both synths are awesome without doubt, but which one is better for you? Explain the reasons also please!

Regards,

Sergi

Dune 2's filters are way superior to those of Sylenth. And it's oscillator waveforms, modulation options, and unison section also. The sound of a filter, or the gernal sound, is arguable of course. If you like Sylenth more, then that's fair enough. I demo'd Sylenth, and compared its sound to Dune 1/BE, and didn't really find it much superior to it, so i got on using Dune BE. Dune 2 on the other hand has much improved filters.

As much as I have a soft spot on my heart for Sylenth1, I must admit I don't tend to use it much these days. I'm not even entirely sure why... probably because I do most of that type of sound using a KingKORG and Analog Four since I went from a 100% ITB set up to a hybrid studio. I'm much more apt to use a synth like Dune 2 which goes very beyond what most hardware does.

That said, I've never felt the urge to buy Dune or Dune 2, though now that I know you can import your own wavetables (undocumented) I'm a little more interested because of it's ability to play a wavetable back in arbitrary positions. Still, something is compelling me to get Electra instead. I'm a sucker for resynthesis. Also, check out Diversion. Super great synth that doesn't get nearly the threadtime it should here.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Sylenth is great considering its age... But, for me anyway, Dune II is my choice.

The developer here, has just got everything virtually right. The sound, flexibility, options and all wrapped up in an easy packet to use. It would give Spire a run for its money. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Comparing a superior Dune 2 to the likes of Sylenth is like comparing a Jupiter 8 to a Casio CZ101. :?

Sylenth1 for the win....... :hihi:

Just buy both.
:borg:

Dune if you like designing your own sound.

Sylenth if you just want a silly number of preset available.
musisikamar.com

xamido wrote:Dune if you like designing your own sound.

Sylenth is a fun synth for sound design stuff, i think thats a unfair generalization.

One perk of Sylenth & 32lives is that it uses barely any CPU so you could easily use many many instances all in real time on most modern Intel i7 systems.

I'm not sure about Dune2.
:borg:

A fair comparison should be Dune2 vs Sylenth2. Sylenth1 is still 32 bit on mac... It's a "brand new vs good old" stupid comparison IMO.

If I could only have one it would be Dune 2 - but Sylenth1 is no slouch.

Both are easy to program, surprisingly versatile, have effects sections that complement the synth as a whole and are CPU friendly (Dune 2 can hit it a little harder, but it is still far lighter than many Virtual Analogs out there at the moment).

V0RT3X wrote:
xamido wrote:Dune if you like designing your own sound.

Sylenth is a fun synth for sound design stuff, i think thats a unfair generalization.

One perk of Sylenth & 32lives is that it uses barely any CPU so you could easily use many many instances all in real time on most modern Intel i7 systems.

I'm not sure about Dune2.
Fun, but limited. Dune have more feature than sylenth and it uses cpu only a bit more than sylenth (if u avoid the multiple voice and use the unison instead). Wavetable, FM, PWM, and that reverb is soo good.
musisikamar.com

It's new to me that you can't coax a gazillion different sounds out of 4 oscs and 4 filters with enough envs spread over two layers. As a matter of fact, the sheer number of soundsets available are only a testament to that.
Please understand, I like all kinds of new things as much as the next guy/girl, and I'd likely choose Dune2 over Sylenth as well.

What I don't get with these kinds of questions (from OP), is that they assume that there's some universal, globally accepted, truth as to which synth to pick. As if one synth must be objectively better than another. I read a lot of stuff on a synth before I buy one, but I'd say about 90% of my decision is made by just using them. And that's mainly about: which synth do I -want- to use? There's a million synths out there that everybody't raving about, but I just don't get along with. That's fine, that's probably me. But for that, to me, it makes absolutely no sense to ask another person which synth to buy. It's a musical instrument which should inspire and fuel your creativity - treat it like that.
/Rant - sorry :oops:

Out of those two, I prefer Spire :D

..and Electra 2 and Zebra and Massive and Synthmaster and..
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Return to “Instruments”