Memorymoon ME80 going 64 bit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gunnare wrote:I am not sure what that means.
If I press on the lowest note on my 88 keyboard controller, which is A0 and start raising the pitch, either with the wheel or with the ribbon on the gui, I would like that pitch to go from A0 all the way to the top, C8.

And to be able to control the speed/length of the rise, manually.

Also, if you are re-doing the patches, just a suggestion, could you properly capitalize their names. Some of them are still in small letters.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Hi Gunnar,
gunnare wrote: The Yamaha patches must be recreated by hand, one by one.
Did you create the CS80 presets by ear or did you look up the slider settings from the original user manual?

In first version, I set the sliders similar to the Yamaha CS80 manual on page 32 and 33.
Then I sent the 1st patch to Max Fazio, and he fine tuned them by ear.

In ME80 version 2 we lost all presets and settings, so I had to do it again. I used the same values that Max had set in version 1. I could read the values with decimals from version 1 on the LCD screen, so it was not difficult. Just time consuming. I then adjusted the settings further by ear using some recordings I had with single notes at different velocities. We did the same as with ME80 version1.0 , built one patch with all the Yamah presets, and used that one as starting point for all patches in the factory bank.

The ME80 has modelled slider ranges, so we should not be far off. I am comparing it now.
For strings1 I have a little bit less resonance. I see that I should have tiny bit of release. I have setting 0 , wile the manual has 1. Ah, but we have 1 as master release setting for the first patch in ME80, so that explains everything. Except from resonance setting they are identical.

Then strings2. Faster PWM speed in ME80, but PWM modulation is not on, so it will not affect sound. And thats all. CS80 has VCA release 1, but we have 0 in the synthline and 1 as master, so it is the same release time.

Then the 2 difficult ones:
Funky1: ME80 has a little bit Pulse-width setting. Less attack level. And thats it. Otherwise it is similar.
Funky2: ME80 has a little bit less VCA decay, but it is very close. Otherwise it has the same slider settings as CS80.

Now back to the ribbon/bender. The CS80 has only :
Down: All the way to 0hz
Up: One octave.

ME80 has a ribbon range button, so that you can make the bend smaller.
ME80 is like CS80 at full range. In min range it is:
Down: All the way to 0hz
UP: 2 semitones.

I think it is the minimum setting we must change. Maybe to an octave? Or 2 semitones?

All the best
gunnare

I would love to be able to rise/lower the pitch not just one octave/12 semitones, but all 8 octaves.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

@gunnar
Thx for the detailed answer. Very interesting. :tu:

HunterKiller wrote:I would love to be able to rise/lower the pitch not just one octave/12 semitones, but all 8 octaves.
I think I have to say no to that request.

The yamaha has down to 0 hz , and up 1 octave. Thats it, you cannot adjust it.
We can have a knob that sets a smaller range in ME80, but I am not willing to let Chris totally rewrite the ribbon code.

To have adjustable 3, 4 and 5 octaves up/down will be much easier in a synth that have volt/octave oscillators. The CS80 has volt/hz linear system, so it is more complicated to change the ranges.

For a glide all the way up, I would have started with a high note in the upper range, bend it fast down to 0hz and then slowly up again.

Another workaround is to use slow portamento

All the best
gunnare

HunterKiller wrote:
gunnare wrote:I am not sure what that means.
If I press on the lowest note on my 88 keyboard controller, which is A0 and start raising the pitch, either with the wheel or with the ribbon on the gui, I would like that pitch to go from A0 all the way to the top, C8.

And to be able to control the speed/length of the rise, manually.

Also, if you are re-doing the patches, just a suggestion, could you properly capitalize their names. Some of them are still in small letters.
To control the speed/length of rise use:
Drift page: Bend speed. It will slow down the bend and make it more even.
But probably portamento is what you need to control a linear sweep.

Capital letters:
I use capital letters for instrument types to make it easier to find the categories. Like:
----KEYS----
---BASS---
---LEAD---

If I had capital letters for all patches it would be harder to find the different instrument groups.
The CS80 had no LCD. (Unlike the memorymoog).

All the best
gunnare

It might not be authentic to the hardware CS80, but it might not be a bad idea for ribbon controller behavior to be fully user configurable on a preferences menu.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Electro:
Yes , we could have a sub menu, but I dont like sub menues. I have tried to keep as much functions as possible on a single GUI. We have a drift page, a 2 pages for envelope 1 and 2 (graphic , you can change the curves by left-clicking the envelope) and finally a page for EQ and distiortion.

Look at the GUI! It is crowded. So this must be simple. So the discussion is what should the "Ribbon range" knob do? Should it set the range to 2 semitones up and down at min setting? I think the max setting is fine: It is like the Yamaha CS80. I would prefer 2 semitones up and 1 octave down at min setting. There is no ribbon range knob on a real CS80. It is always all the way down to 0 hz.
D.J. wrote: - A more gradual distortion effect, if possible.
- The possibility of a more “standard” down pitchbend mode (1 tone, 1 octave)
- Why 3 buttons Wah/Exp (push-pull buttons would be better, and for instance third button for a future unison mode) ?

- Is Keyboard Bend really useful? (I don't understand the wheel button).
I have been thinking about the slider range changes:

Allow smaller reverb size: This is a suggestion from Chris Kerry to allow smoother reverb. I think we can do it. It will not change the presets much. The size range is so narrow in current version that I hardly hear any difference when I move the slider.

Distortion gain: Skip. Might just as well use synthline level slider to achive lower volume into the distortion. I dont want to do this, because I have made so many distortion patches this summer, and it will be very difficult to find the correct gain settings.

Increase effect from (Sub osc) VCA slider: I think we can increase the range to achieve greater effect. Hardly any presets use this slider, and the changes will not destroy older presets. It was a user request.

3 wah/exp buttons? This is to select the function of Expression pedal. It is set to cc11 (exp pedal in the midi-standard). There is a knob to monitor the action next to the buttons (You will not find knob this on a real CS80). You can right click on the "action" knob to set other CC numbers. So it does not have to be an exp pedal. You can for instance control it with mod wheel (CC1).

KB BEND to the right of the GUI keyboard:
Horisontal mouse movments on the GUI will bend the note up and down. The button is to switch off/on this function. The bend range is determined by the "Ribbon range" knob next to the ribbon.
AFTER: Vertical mouse movements sent to the synth as aftertouch. Off/on
WHEEL: Vertical mouse movements sent to the synth as mod wheel data. Off/on.

All the best
gunnare

Chris is doing the installers for the new version. I am not sure how people like the installers?

How is it to set a default install path, or do you like to beeing asked and browse to your VST-plugins folder?
How is it in win 32/64 bit?
Mac? Default path?
Are there default paths that works in some formats, or is it better to let the user browse to the install path?

In win32bit I like to browse to my VST-plugins folder when I install plugins.

All the best
gunnare

Definitely browse to VST plugins folder for installer. Separate for 32/64-bit.

gunnare wrote:How is it to set a default install path, or do you like to beeing asked and browse to your VST-plugins folder?
+10

To be able to manually define the installation path is a must!

+100 I prefer choosing my own path....

Was having fun yesterday with ME80 and accidentally discoverd that my Yamaha motif es7 actually does have aftertouch!! :clap:

Thanks for the input. Sometimes we wonder and wonder, and find that it is better to just ask the users.

All the best
gunnare

Well, the plan was to install 3 full banks at C://ME80. Then the users can select banks easily from the new "Bank" button on top of the ME80 GUI. Then it will be 4 complete banks available directly from the plugin: 512 sounds. (We did not include the extra2 bank since it only has some 40 patches).

Some people are reluctant to let the installer put files on their hard-drive. So maybe I can just make the banks available as a speparate download, or have a seperate installer for the extra banks. If the folder is C://ME80 , then the banks will be available from the "Bank" button. You can also put your own personal banks there.

All the best
gunnare

Return to “Instruments”