Dune 2
63%
Spire
37%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:That's the same question that was asked at least 3 times here at KVR in the previous months... :bang:

I'd prefer DUNE 2 because it has more modulation possibilities - that said, there might be people who prefer the sound of Spire over DUNE 2...
Same question but in the previous months maybe some people have different views now that they have had the time to work with dune.
Over time I have liked Dune2 more and my interest in Spire has waned... not that I dislike Spire, but in exploring it more, I have not ended up with presets that really thrill me.

pdxindy wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:That's the same question that was asked at least 3 times here at KVR in the previous months... :bang:

I'd prefer DUNE 2 because it has more modulation possibilities - that said, there might be people who prefer the sound of Spire over DUNE 2...
Same question but in the previous months maybe some people have different views now that they have had the time to work with dune.
Over time I have liked Dune2 more and my interest in Spire has waned... not that I dislike Spire, but in exploring it more, I have not ended up with presets that really thrill me.
I kind of felt the same way. When spire first showed up i demoed it and thought it sounded great, because it does sound decent for some sounds but Dune2 just kind of appeals to me more sonically and visually. Well that and the CPU usage differences also seriously impact my decision. I imagine when Reveal sound offers multi-core support similar to what D16 and U-he offer then I will try it again, but for now I really enjoy synthesizer plugins that don't require a super amount of CPU to run.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:

I kind of felt the same way. When spire first showed up i demoed it and thought it sounded great, because it does sound decent for some sounds but Dune2 just kind of appeals to me more sonically and visually. Well that and the CPU usage differences also seriously impact my decision. I imagine when Reveal sound offers multi-core support similar to what D16 and U-he offer then I will try it again, but for now I really enjoy synthesizer plugins that don't require a super amount of CPU to run.
I don't mind high cpu use if I am getting something for it that makes it worthwhile for me... I don't mind the high cpu of Bazille for example, cause what I get for it is superb and unusual... and Bazille is not a general workhorse synth.

Dune, like Zebra, is a good balance of cpu for all around performance as a workhorse synth. Spire eats the cpu. A similar 4 osc unison preset I made in Dune and in Spire sounded comparable but the Dune preset used 10% for a 4 note chord and the Spire preset was at 38%. That is just too much for me for a general all around synth. And a multi-core option does not change how much cpu is being used, it just spreads it across the cores... it is still being used up.

Well so far the polls showing it's a pretty close tie.

I would still pick Zebra 2 to compliment Dune 2 over Spire any day.
:borg:

Judging from demos: Dune 2 because of the sound, I don't care about CPU usage. Electra 2 is nice too.

Sylenth. Yes, still Sylenth when it comes to sound/cpu ratio.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Btw. in a track where I'm working on I use... Dune2 and Spire. Why Dune2? It's the only synth where I'm happy with the results of a evolving and wandering thick pad.
The first ducked pad alone is only Dune2 (9x Unison stack and 2x Unison where the second Unison synth is using a WT with a modulated filter/pan). After some parts a layered ducked Predator pad and a Diva pluck comes in.
With Spire it needs multiple instances or the filter in parallel mode... but it sounds more "raw" compared to Dune 2 and it needs a lot more time.

Dune2+Predator+Diva

Ok, and all together... Dune2, Predator (the second layered pad) both are ducked... A bit Diva and Spire for plucks and stuff. It's only a idea which is at a early stage, slightly mixed etc.. only to show why both synth having their place but... if it comes to only one synth, I would still pick Spire :P

...and together

I love them both, Spire and Dune 2 are easily my two fave plugins on the market right now. Only problem is my Virus TI is feeling neglected and gives me evil looks whenever I use it just as a MIDI controller.

V0RT3X wrote:
Question 1 So which one would you pick if you could only choose 1?
I chose Spire because, judging by the replies in this thread, it was getting it's butt kicked.
V0RT3X wrote: Question 2 Why would you pick it?
I'm a sucker for the underdog.
V0RT3X wrote: Question 3 What are you favourite features of your chosen synth?
I only chose it because it was losing in the poll. I do like the color of the interface though.
V0RT3X wrote: Question 4 If you could ask for an improvement on your chosen synth, what would it be and why?
A darker, gunmetal, brushed aluminum look would be cool.
V0RT3X wrote: Question 5 What don't you like about the other synth in comparison to your choice?
For both synths, I'd like a full screen option where I can see all the controls & I prefer faders for envelopes unless you're going to give me a graphical representation of the envelope.

Listening to demos of both of these. I personally feel like they are both nice, but Spire has more character partly due to it sounding more punchy and harmonically brighter. Dune has nice pads and sounds nice all around. However, I think the same can be said about both synths. From what I can tell Spire offers a range of control (ctrl A,B, WT mix) over the oscillators that other synths don't provide. Most likely you can achieve similar sounds in other soft synths with Mod Matrixes, but I like to use synths that seem to be on the same wavelength as I am and I think Spire feels like it knows what I want to do, which is making tweaking unusual oscillator controls easily accessible. Because of this, I don't find anything in Dune 2 to be special. It's a nice synth, but I'd like to see more representation of the synthesis methods, FM and wavetable. Being that I like the interface and sound of Spire, I would choose it over the competition.

I can see a lot of advocates for Dune 2, but surprisingly not as many for Spire speaking up. That's weird to me if looked at subjectively, but I think that must because there has already been a following Dune 1 around whereas Spire is newer. I personally don't necessarily think one is better over the other, but I choose Spire over Dune because it seems to have more character to me. They both are probably just as flexible in terms of synthesis and can see people choosing either based on interface alone. I will demo both to make sure I don't start to feel differently, but watching others use both online and listening to them, makes me feel Spire is for me.

1. Spire

2. To my ears, it sound much better, it has character, like Sylenth1. It reminds me to my old supernova. Dune is a good synth with cool features, but its basic sound, without using 900 oscs, is the same than the most of synths, it lacks character.

3. I am quite basic. Oscillators and filters.

4. Improved CPU usage.

5. I would answer the same I answered in 2.

Just purchased it before doing massive demo comparisons in this week.

I think comparing Dune 2 and Spire is like comparing a swiss army knife and your regular hunting knife. Dune 2 is so much more deeper than Spire and capable of much more.

Having said that, when it comes to raw sound using no more than basic features, I think Spire maybe sounds better.

raymondwave wrote:I think comparing Dune 2 and Spire is like comparing a swiss army knife and your regular hunting knife. Dune 2 is so much more deeper than Spire and capable of much more...
True. Spire can´t compete against Dune2 because of Dune2 class A 0df Filters. Beside all more functionality that Dune2 offers both machines should at least have the same Filter technology to be compared with, so this Dune2 vs Spire voting is just senseless.
Induljon a banzáj!

Maybe regular hunting knife is a bit of an understatement about Spire tho, it's more than that. But the differential unison system + mod matrix on Dune 2 offers so much more possibilities for sound design than Spire.

I don't even know if it really matters what kind of technology lies behind the filter code etc if it sounds good, it's just that Dune 2 is in my experience in a whole different cathegory when it comes to sound design.

I've tried to use Dune 2 for the basic trance unison sounds (which I guess this poll is mainly targeted at), but I've always used something else. Most often I use D16 LuSH for those, I think the supersaw in that plugin rises above all others. With Spire you can dial in a beefy VA bass or trance arp in seconds and I like that a bit better in Spire than Dune. With Dune I mostly do sounds that other synths just can't do like different pads, arps etc.

DUNE 2. It is really nice for dialling in insanely lush pads, sweeps, and textures very quickly. The fact that each patch can be 8 different parts and modulation can be done to each individual part really has alot of potential for sound design. I find its easy to make nice sounding stuff in DUNE 2 from really basic patches to more complicated stuff.

I tried Spire and while it sounded nice, it used ALOT of CPU and I already have a subtractive with limited sound design capability that I like (Corona).
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Return to “Instruments”