Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
Gribs
KVRian

868 posts since 9 Feb, 2007, from San Ramon, California

Postby Gribs; Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:34 pm Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

If you have Reaktor, Hugo Portillo's user library ensembles modeling the Solina and Elka are beautiful. The Solina with his Small Stone phaser model is a yummy favorite of mine; it has *that* sound.

I tried Loomer String and the presets sound pretty good, but after I discovered the two Reaktor ensembles (plus having Zils V+ that I bought in last year's charity auction) I decided I am set for now.
------------------------------------------
Gribs
brok landers
KVRAF

6076 posts since 25 Sep, 2003, from right here, as you can see ...

Postby brok landers; Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:32 pm Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

jsp1979 wrote:
brok landers wrote:if you´re into real stringmachines, VSM is horrible - IMO. the samples are really low quality, ontop of that some strings labelled as whatever stringmachine don´t even remotely sound like the hardware (f.e. the rs202). the phaser is a slap in your face, as it´s actually not a phaser at all...
there was an akai sampling cd called "xxlarge string machines", which i still own. forgetting for a moment that samples can _never_ serve the sound of real stringmachines due to technical reasons, this collection was as close as one could get with samples. maybe someone sells it used, you might want to google that.

Thanks for the comments, brok landers. I'll try to find the samples you mentioned.

Earlier in the thread Loomer String was mentioned which I had completely forgotten about. I'll give that demo a whirl and it might actually be a better fit for me (and at a lower price).

the loomer string is incredible. the phaser isn´t there yet, but when it comes to emulating a stringmachine, loomer string is fabulous.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man
rasmusklump
KVRian

801 posts since 13 May, 2004, from Germany

Postby rasmusklump; Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 pm Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

Since I had Reaktor, I never used the VSM again and sometimes sold it.
The Reaktor string ensembles are great.
Examigan
KVRAF

4501 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:52 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

tropicalontour
KVRian

501 posts since 11 May, 2009

Postby tropicalontour; Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

VSM was the first GForce plugin I bought and almost the first VST I ever bought. I have not been disappointed. I also got the expansion for it. This is a very versatile, bread and butter pad machine. I use it in all sorts of surprising places. Highly recommended.
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"
ObsoleteAcc99
Banned

Postby ObsoleteAcc99; Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

jsp1979 wrote:
Gribs wrote:I wish Imposcar 2 would go on sale. Oh well.

GForce had it 50% off a month or so ago. They've been going one by one through their products offering 50% off.

I *love* Imposcar2. One of my favorites!

damn what a bummer i missed that. WOW 50% is alot. Oh well *cry*

(i must at some point get imposcar as an old song relies on it that i forgot about)
jsp1979
KVRAF

2835 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Postby jsp1979; Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

TheoM wrote:
jsp1979 wrote:
Gribs wrote:I wish Imposcar 2 would go on sale. Oh well.

GForce had it 50% off a month or so ago. They've been going one by one through their products offering 50% off.

I *love* Imposcar2. One of my favorites!

damn what a bummer i missed that. WOW 50% is alot. Oh well *cry*

(i must at some point get imposcar as an old song relies on it that i forgot about)

As mentioned for at least the third time in this thread, I looked up the sale and the discount was actually 30%.

:D

They have done 50% sales this year for Oddity, Minimonsta, and VSM.
bluedad
something special

8449 posts since 15 Mar, 2002, from Birmingham, Alabama

Postby bluedad; Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:18 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

jsp1979 wrote:
They have done 50% sales this year for Oddity, Minimonsta, and VSM.

and MTron Pro
simmo75
KVRian

832 posts since 25 Mar, 2016, from Seattle

Postby simmo75; Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:54 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

It's back on sale for 50% off.

Is it still relevant in 2018?
audientronic
KVRian

1054 posts since 30 Mar, 2012

Postby audientronic; Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

Considering this as well...
brok landers
KVRAF

6076 posts since 25 Sep, 2003, from right here, as you can see ...

Postby brok landers; Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 pm Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

this my personal opinion as a real strinmachine lover. don't fall for it. it really sounds nothing like a stringmachine... no harm meant, but really...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man
deastman
KVRAF

6715 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

No one has exactly come out and said it directly, but VSM will never sound like a real string synth because of the oscillator design. A real string synth uses divide-down oscillators, which are technically not possible to emulate with a traditional sample-based approach. That does directly impact the sound whenever you play multiple notes at the same time, and you can clearly hear the difference. That being said, VSM is the best you can hope for if you want an extensive collection of classic instruments which *approximate* the sound of the originals. But if you want the real string synth experience, you’d do better with the Reaktor ensembles.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
BlackWinny
KVRAF

3481 posts since 17 Jun, 2013, from very close to Paris, France

Postby BlackWinny; Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

deastman wrote:No one has exactly come out and said it directly, but VSM will never sound like a real string synth because of the oscillator design. A real string synth uses divide-down oscillators, which are technically not possible to emulate with a traditional sample-based approach. That does directly impact the sound whenever you play multiple notes at the same time, and you can clearly hear the difference. That being said, VSM is the best you can hope for if you want an extensive collection of classic instruments which *approximate* the sound of the originals. But if you want the real string synth experience, you’d do better with the Reaktor ensembles.

Yes. You're right as Brok Landers.

It is absolutely impossible to reproduce the real sounds of the string-machines by the use of samples. Using samples it is impossible to have the phases of the waveform cycles synced together. So the sound is totally different (and that poverty of the sound must be hidden by additional effects... which increase again the distance to the true hardware sounds), and there isn't any real string-synth lover who would imagine to "emulate" a string-synth with a sampler or rompler, whatever its cost. One could purchase NI Kontakt at its full expensive price, for example... and with the result of a huge deception when wanting to emulate string-synths with accurate results, any good ear will immediately be shocked by the pitiful "amateuresque" result in the sound. If one absolutely wants to use a NI product it is not Kontakt which will be useful for that purpose... it is Reaktor. Samplers and romplers can only imitate (and in fact poorly imitate) string-synths, not emulate them. Real emulations of string-synths MUST be done with real oscillators... and using a divide-down and paraphonic architecture in instruments like those that I had listed in red in this post a few years ago.
:)

When it is about string-synths it is a huge mistake to think that because the sounds come from samples they will give necessarily exactly the sounds of the real machines. It would have been true if the string synths were... monophonic! Ha Ha !

What makes a string-synth is precisely because it uses a divide-down paraphonic architecture! Else it is simply a polyphonic synth... or a rompler.
:D

Honestly, purchase a G-Force VSM (or any other plugin at this price, even the discounted price) which only imitates string-synths is a pity when there are excellent TRUE and wonderful string-synth plugins such as:
and even the two free great plugins from Björn Arlt:
and the works made by Hugo Portillo for Reaktor.
:party:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
dark water
KVRian

791 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Postby dark water; Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:46 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

GForce are a wonderful company. But VSM isn't their finest moment. It sounds good as a synth in its own right (and I have it). But it fails to meet the criticisms justly made about it regarding string machines, as per the above posts.
Armagibbon
KVRian

671 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Postby Armagibbon; Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:34 am Re: GForce VSM on sale--Your thoughts?

Just another sampler with shit filters n fx. I got mtron pro a while back and love that shit but this is synth strings not tapes. That shit never sounds right sampled.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments