What software are you really using currently?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chrome, notepad.exe, Guild Wars 2, Overwatch...

main synth: zebra 2
main sampler: shortcircuit
main fx: zebrify (fx version of zebra, which has replaced most of my filters and delays) / cakewalk sonitus eq (bundled with sonar 8, but my goto eq in fl)
reverb: shimmer, breverb, reverberate
mastering: aradaz limiter, placed after the fl one, and melda multiband dynamics (love this, but has been buggy for some time, though i still choose it over wave arts multidynamics, and maximus)

only thing im really missing, is a good sampler with drag and drop, and able to reorder samples.

whats interesting with this setup, everything is simple serial reg, no net needed.

Live 9 Suite
MaxforLive
Soundforge Pro
Obscurium
Looperator
Cyclop
Combo Model V
Mobilohm
PSP 608
MJUC
Eos
IIEQ Pro
DC8C2
Dubstation
BigSeq2
VVV

Studio One 2
Kontakt to make new shells for all my Sampletekk pianos (relax Worra for my own use only)
Midi files from people with real skills to listen to the pianos
Steam
Civ 5
Notepad
VLC Media Player
Firefox to shamelessly self promote, blog and browse message boards...

Notepad and Winamp :roll:

FL Studio RC1 (12.3)
Falcon
NF complete bundle
GTA5 pc
Clipboard

- Steinberg Cubase pro 8 and included instrument plugs (e.g. Halion Sonic Se2, padshop, retrologue 2)
- Korg M1 Legacy
- UVI digital synsations
- OBXD
- Dexed
Those are currently what i use mostly...

Renoise
Bazille

For me testing, listening, trying demos, synth programming, getting ideas together, leads to music tracks eventually. Inspiration coming from different places can be a good thing. I have decided that it is all one and the same thing. Sometimes a track takes 2 months sometimes less than a day. As long as I am having a good time it all ends up being worthwhile.

Despite having quite a few synths 10+ I always have a soft spot for Massive, time and time again. It does a lot very well.

Reaper
Sound Forge (v9)
Band in a Box 2016
Izotope Ozone, Alloy, Nectar
Melda MAutoVolume

That's the all-the-time stuff. Also Garritan orchestras, Synthmaster Player, SampleTank 3 free (w/legacy libraries), etc..
Tom Smith
http://tomsmith.bandcamp.com - http://www.filkertom.com - http://www.thefump.com
Win10/64 - I5 3570K - 16 GB RAM - BIAB 2016 - Reaper 5 - Sound Forge Pro 9

With these last couple of days being consumed in updating the OS's on four machines, I would have to admit also to the software I'm using is really what has been using me and my time. So my hardware has become the center stage as I said in my last post while I get those things done just to keep up with not being completely left behind.
I bit the bullet and upgraded my Vista pro-x64 system to Win7 Pro-x64 and upgraded my Win 8.1 system and two win7 tablets to Win 10.
My main box is still running Windows 7 pro-x64 so I also had it running smoothly while updating the other four. And I won't upgrade that system unless Korg/Roland pull their heads out and updates the drivers for my hardware they cut off at W8 to match with W10. Although I did also have to do a couple of updates for Sonar and Pianoteq, and doing those always brings them to the top of the list (even if just for the moment). And after the upgrade to W10 on the tablets (mine and my spouse's), I found it necessary to re-authorize all our Korg Legacy plugins. Not a big deal, and it did get us to jam a little using them. They really are ideal for tablets since they use relatively little CPU.

So my psyche seems to be formulating new aspects to minimization during this.
i.e. software that has more updates in the ratio to how often I actually use it.

Pianoteq is safe and is still a mainstay for me now.
Others are 'safe', simply because they are NFR. But may or may not be installed. e.g. Sonar synths seem to be too much of a PITA most of the time. Shame really, since I like them quite well when they work as they did on the first install.
This is what made me eventually get rid of some other plugins as well.
So if I end up spending more time in getting them to work than working with them, then it just doesn't seem worth it to keep them anymore. Even if they are good, I find myself asking, "who is working for who here?"

Recently;
HALion 6
Pianoteq 6
Alchemy 1 (Win)
Music Labs Real (et al) / Guitar Rig 5
&
Picked up SWAM Saxes and hoping to incorporate them quickly into the mix.

Stripped NI down to just Kontakt, Guitar Rig, Maschine and finally let go of the Korg KLC along with a couple of AAS plugins. Many more are coming up for sale as well.

Going more minimal?
Definitely getting back to more playing with an increased emphasis on technique and for the most part, steering clear of loop phrase samples unless I've done them myself.

Internet Explorer
No signature here!

I wrote it all down, just to avoid answering this question all over again:

https://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/about/studio-setup/

Recently I'm working with VIP, getting close to tag all of almost 1000 presets I have for Serum. This takes dozens of hours, unfortunatelly. However, If I didn't do that, I wouldn't know I have that much of amazing and diverse sounds in my library.
Once I finish, I will of course make use of them in next track(s).
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Recently this was the most used software here:
- Ableton Live 9 Suite
- Roland Cloud JV-1080
- Roland Cloud Jupiter 8
- Roland Cloud D-50
- Roland Cloud System-8
- U-He Repro-5
- U-He Diva
- VPS Avenger
- Tone2 Icarus
- Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
- Arturia DX7 V
- Arturia CMI V
- Arturia Piano V2
- Korg ARP Odyssey plugin
- Novation UltraNova VST editor
- MonstrumFeld Blofeld VST editor
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”