Bazille 1.0

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

recursive one wrote:
Numanoid wrote:So what you don't like about it?
It seems to be geared towards the sounds I don't consider ear-pleasing, simple as that. Any musically useful sound I have pulled out this thing can be done with lesser effort with other synths, especially Zebra.

After all , I'm a boring EDM guy with programming skills limited to basic sounds, may be that's the problem.
I think the emperor has no clothes... (I agree with you, in other words).
Last edited by basslinemaster on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bazille rewards creativity. If you want a bread and butter synth then its obviously not going to be for you. If you want a good FM easy to use synthesizer then maybe check out Tone2 Nemesis.

I personally really enjoy Bazillle it's layout. Also the modular design is a great way to work with FM & PD synthesis.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Bazille rewards creativity. If you want a bread and butter synth then its obviously not going to be for you.
Indeed. It's not an instant gratification synth... Well it is for me but I can understand that it may not be for others.
Bazille has a lot of sweet-spots but there is nothing preventing you from making unpleasant sounds. I find that there are very few synths which offer such flexibility to manipulate basic waveforms (without use of wavetables or other methods that provide limited paramaterization). I have yet to uncover all the ways that sounds can be twisted in Bazille.

I look at Bazille a tool box for exploring synthesis techniques rather than a collection of ready to use sounds.

I'm just waiting to hear sounds from it that I'd actually want to use, and also most (if not all, I haven't had time to listen to them all) of the preset demos in this thread sound very 'unmusical' to me (not the melodies, the presets themselves). Unpleasant to the ear.

'One man's meat is another man's poison.'

Great sounds and very musical to my ears... but then again I like Ligeti and Stockhausen :wink:

My personal favorite way to use Bazille (and the purpose of my soundset) is to add some dirt or rawness to whatever I'm working on. It's like special sauce. It also helps that it's a lot of fun to use.

Last night I was working on a track in Serum and it needed something fresh and special so I loaded up a few Bazille's and was able to take my track further.

justin3am wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:Bazille rewards creativity. If you want a bread and butter synth then its obviously not going to be for you.
Indeed. It's not an instant gratification synth... Well it is for me but I can understand that it may not be for others.
Bazille has a lot of sweet-spots but there is nothing preventing you from making unpleasant sounds. I find that there are very few synths which offer such flexibility to manipulate basic waveforms (without use of wavetables or other methods that provide limited paramaterization). I have yet to uncover all the ways that sounds can be twisted in Bazille.
This is exactly correct. If you aren't spending a LOT of time working with the oscillators in Bazille, then it probably isn't going to please you. After all, without the FM and PD detail in the oscillators, there isn't much interesting beyond the slightly non-standard choice of effects modules. There are effects that one can obtain with the oscillators that would require a much larger modular palette in a typical VA synth with standard oscillators.

I find that it is indeed instant gratification once you start to understand the "cliches" that made FM and PD synthesis popular for certain sounds. I find it a lot less work, for example, to get a bass sound with snap that also has some brightness and character to it with Bazille than I do with Ace. By relying less on the filter for that dynamic snap, I find that it's easier to achieve a brighter sound. However, having the filter allows you to also tame the sound and add some filter character to it after the fact. I also find that pads are much more dynamic and interesting and that it's much easier to add motion to a sound because of all of the ways that you can vary the harmonic content of the oscillators.

It definitely shares some perception characteristics of Yamaha's DX family in that it's very easy to get bad/harsh sounds out of it by knob twiddling. It's also modular so I get the sense that people start imagining that all sorts of crazy routings will lead to out of this world sounds, mostly, they lead to noise. You really have to get down with the oscillators in detail to get "nice" sounds out of it, push the modulations too far and it will turn to crap.

It's certainly possible that for many "nice" sounds, you can get similar results with Zebra, I wouldn't know, I don't have Zebra, but, I didn't think that it was on the same level as Ace/Bazille/Diva in terms of modeling. It certainly wasn't the last time that I gave it a demo spin. My understanding is that the ZebraHZ has Diva's filters, but no multicore support? In any case, Bazille works my machine(s) so I have my doubts that I would be as satisfied with Zebra.

YMMV.

I am so enjoying these experiments. Is there any chance you'd publish them as an album to, say, Bandcamp, where I could buy them?

Cheers!
- Wes
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

TonyVegas wrote:"Bazille. We Burn More Trees Than A California Wildfire."
+1
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I just downloaded the latest demo with the presets (the one I had installed earlier didn't have any so my opinion on it was based on my own tweaking attempts and online sound demos). Actually there are some very cool sounds amoung them - I just did realize Bazille may sound that nice. Somehow I had the impression that it is positioned as a "dirt machine"

But the synthesis concept is still alien to me. There may be a quick introduction for dummies somewhere by chance?

Now I have the impression that it might be a "better sounding Zebra" for me, a synth giving new edge to familiar sounds.
Last edited by recursive one on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

ghettosynth wrote:This is exactly correct. If you aren't spending a LOT of time working with the oscillators in Bazille, then it probably isn't going to please you. After all, without the FM and PD detail in the oscillators, there isn't much interesting beyond the slightly non-standard choice of effects modules.
I agree with you about the Oscillators... but disagree that there isn't much else interesting. I have a few presets where all the sound design is via the filters and some complex feedback routing and modulation. Nobody would guess that it is only one Osc set to a sine wave.

The filters are a whole world of creative sound design by themselves.

pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:This is exactly correct. If you aren't spending a LOT of time working with the oscillators in Bazille, then it probably isn't going to please you. After all, without the FM and PD detail in the oscillators, there isn't much interesting beyond the slightly non-standard choice of effects modules.
I agree with you about the Oscillators... but disagree that there isn't much else interesting. I have a few presets where all the sound design is via the filters and some complex feedback routing and modulation. Nobody would guess that it is only one Osc set to a sine wave.

The filters are a whole world of creative sound design by themselves.
Well, yes, and there's four of them, there's also a pretty cool sequencer, but I don't think those are what really makes Bazille stand out. I think that we just have a different barometer for "interesting." If someone is saying "I can get the same thing out of a VA, say ACE", then, telling them that there are two more filters in Bazille isn't really worth THAT much.

wesleyt wrote:
I am so enjoying these experiments. Is there any chance you'd publish them as an album to, say, Bandcamp, where I could buy them?

Cheers!
- Wes
Thanks.
Currently there are no such plans.
I do intend to invest more time composing the coming year which I'm sure will carry a lot of Bazille in it.

Return to “Instruments”