New OB-X inspired VSTi (OB-Xtreme) -- how does it compare to the previous ones?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All-or-nothing sensitivity, well, if I remember correctly I will be able to set the velocity curve of my new keyboard (which still has not arrived, so take your 3 to 7 days delivery period :D ) to logarithmic or something like that, else it would not be so useful, like on SuperWave's P8 :P Good for trained piano players, but not the ordinary guy with brutish hands like mine :hihi:

I bought it anyway, but only "donated" 15 euros for the time being. Should there be an update with the right type of pulse, I will donate some more.

Btw, I have no idea what the square on the C64 sounded like. So I went to YT and searched for it and found a funny video where Admiral Quality (Poly-Ana) wrote a comment, isn't the world a village :hihi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDhpFaf4EY

Aly James wrote:
valerian_777 wrote:Okay, afaik Aly dont use custom modules so chance is big (if it's a SE issue) it's irrelevant for my understanding.
I am not sure if you wanted to say the opposite... but all my VST use custom modules, aka custom functions I have compiled in C++
So most of the SE "sound" people usually relate to is irrelevant.
Yes, sorry my fault. Of course I wanted to say that you dont use 3rd party modules but program your own.
Thank you for the C64 lead btw.. :)
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

just wanted to say I completely lost track of the discussion (got left behind for many pages, never imagined it would grow for so many pages)... but nevertheless, just wanted to refute someone's (lazyer?) argument that SE was comparable to basic , but I cant bother going back all the pages... anyway, that's the most wrong thing i saw someone saying here. SE is NOT a command interpreter like basic, it's blocks of C++ that can be rearranged and connected and then compiled into a vst. many of these blocks have even been manually optimized to machine code level. i know this because i was one of the 6or7 first members in the original yahoo synthedit group and remember Jeff and Chris Kerry talking about it. What can make SE synths a little heavier than normally coded ones is the fact that when you compile the final creation the native SE modules are always included, even if they,re not used (they just remain there inactive and dormant, but they're so highly optimized that those few KB of ram space that they take are hardly noticeable in today's computers) . Also, stability issues, AFAIK is a thing of SE's remote past, I've not encountered any problem with SEvsts since at least version SE1.1... of course, the synth designer can always f*ck up things... but the good ones, like Aly, don't do that :-)
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Oh no, it doesn't have the SE patch manager :( I thought that would pop up when clicking on the Program Menu button.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Oh no, it doesn't have the SE patch manager :( I thought that would pop up when clicking on the Program Menu button.
It has, be quiet.
:D

Simply, it's not activated on the word "Menu", but on the very black rectangle which is one centimeter at right of the word "Menu".

In fact, yes, it would have been more intuitive if it was triggered by the word "Menu" itself, or if all this label "Program menu" was put directly on this very black button (hence a bit larger).

I have found this button a bit by chance, because it is not very well visible for people having an eyesight problem with the contrasts.

Another solution would be to choose a grey a bit different for this button to make it more visible for people having that issue with contrasts.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: I have found this button a bit by chance, because it is not very well visible.
Jesus, man, do you look for that stuff?!

:lol:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

BlackWinny wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Oh no, it doesn't have the SE patch manager :( I thought that would pop up when clicking on the Program Menu button.
It has, be quiet.

Simply, it's not activated on the word "Menu", but on the very black rectangle which is one centimeter at right of the word "Menu".

In fact, yes, it would have been more intuitive if it was triggered by the word "Menu" itself, or if all this label "Program menu" was put directly on this very black button (hence a bit larger).

I have found this button a bit by chance, because it is not very well visible for people having an eyesight problem with the contrasts.

Another solution would be to choose a grey a bit different for this button to make it more visible for people having that issue with contrasts.
That is not really what I meant. I did see the black button. But what pops up is not a patch manager, but a patch list.
I was talking about the very useful standard SE patch manager that many SE synths have:

https://app.box.com/s/uhfte8oxdk9thj7cac6v

It is useful in my DAW because it does not allow me to save patches in FXP format, nor where I want.

Ah ok. But it is present... by making a right click instead of a left click.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Ah, there it is :) Cool, all I have to do now is get used to right-clicking all of a sudden :roll:

So far I could only test it a little bit using the stupid piano roll, but that is so annoying...

It seems to sounds good, especially for basses.

Sometimes after changing pan settings I forget to switch back to ADSR mode again and screw it all up :hihi:

It's strange that the About button is not the last one. Actually, I would put a different kind of About button (without led) into the section at the bottom. This would make space for one more functional feature/button in the button row.

Uh oh, don't get too used to any "hidden" features that are SE-specific... Aly would have to construct something equivalent on the native side, which I personally would hate to see... Maybe just the general requirement: please make the native patch browser incredibly useful. :)
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Does anyone else notice timing problems when playing chords? Instead of all voices starting simultaneously they sound strummed, particularly when larger chords are played one after eachother. I hope this will be fixed as OB-Extreme is a mighty fine little pluging with a sound which reminds me of hardware. I expect to use it a lot in my music.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Yes, I noticed it as well, but I thought it was because I was using the computer keyboard.
Is it coincidence or does it happen after pressing buttons like Multi or Clean?

I tried many settings, including the ones you mention. It didn't make a difference to my ears.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Regarding those pan knobs, basically panning voices means reducing their volume, right? While playing around with one of those presets I noticed that the max on my DAW's meter is always the same, but when you center the voice, you have the same level twice, and when you put a voice to the very right or left, you get the same max, but only on either side. Maybe it is supposed to be that way, no idea :) Intuitively I would say the volume should increase as the position moves away from the center so that each voice is perceived as equally loud no matter where it is.

It also seems that the pan knobs only make a difference when you set pretty extreme values, at 9 o'clock (which is like 2/3s of the scale from the center) the meter still shows almost the same values for the left and right channel.j

Timfonie wrote:Does anyone else notice timing problems when playing chords? Instead of all voices starting simultaneously they sound strummed, particularly when larger chords are played one after eachother. I hope this will be fixed as OB-Extreme is a mighty fine little pluging with a sound which reminds me of hardware. I expect to use it a lot in my music.
Let's take an example where you do a bunch of 6 notes chords,
It might be because it is really 8 notes polyphony, there is no hidden voice system that might take on, which is usually the case in modern VSTi.
The ADSR and VCA have a very snappy response hence even if the release seems short, the release section my still be active even if you don't notice it, I think that is the problem here...there is not enough voices available to play the next 6 notes... One workaround would be to really minimize the release time or eventually add a less snappy VCA response as an option.
If you read the provided .png in the package, it talk about the voice allocation modes, try to use different settings for different voice allocation methods.
if someone really need quick big chords chain, you could also use many instances of the plugin...

Return to “Instruments”