Codex vs Serum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth Serum

Ingonator wrote:... Audio editor like Waveterm (i got Waveterm Elements 7 here).
You probably meant Wavelab Elements 7, right? :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Ingonator wrote:... Audio editor like Waveterm (i got Waveterm Elements 7 here).
You probably meant Wavelab Elements 7, right? :wink:
Oops, of course... :oops:
As i was talking about Audio Term and Wavelab this is a funny typo. :)
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Really I like Massive, Codex and Serum. Massive is still a wonderful synth. I'm always amazed how beautiful it sounds. But compared to Serum it sounds vintage... Well we could call Massive a vintage synth (I wonder if vintage synth plugins will every be a collectors item). Serum could never replace Massive. For one, I know how to program Massive.

I bought Codex (and not Serum) for several reason:
- Easy to get good result (less time programming, more time to compose)
- It was cheap at $56!
- I already use Element
- And some nice features to make analog 'real' sound (formant, scanning different wavetables)

Fortunately the factory presets are great! Some useful patches.

I'm on the fence about Serum. Buy it/don't buy it. I love the wavetable editor! And it can export to wav, which I can use in Codex.

Codex does 2-d wavetable scanning. :party:

Mivo wrote:
Fleer wrote:Gotta love Codex, the antiserum, as it's more of a musician's instrument than a programmer's tool. :party:
The implication being that musicians can't handle complexity and freedom? :)
Knowing how to use a tracker is a far cry from having fun with a complicated synth, but they're both "complex". In the music world, there's a lot of "complexity" and I'd rather have good presets to start from. :D Doesn't make me dumb, just using my time different.

kiezum wrote:Really I like Massive, Codex and Serum. Massive is still a wonderful synth. I'm always amazed how beautiful it sounds. But compared to Serum it sounds vintage... Well we could call Massive a vintage synth (I wonder if vintage synth plugins will every be a collectors item). Serum could never replace Massive. For one, I know how to program Massive.

I bought Codex (and not Serum) for several reason:
- Easy to get good result (less time programming, more time to compose)
- It was cheap at $56!
- I already use Element
- And some nice features to make analog 'real' sound (formant, scanning different wavetables)

Fortunately the factory presets are great! Some useful patches.

I'm on the fence about Serum. Buy it/don't buy it. I love the wavetable editor! And it can export to wav, which I can use in Codex.
Where did you get it that cheap?

PatricB wrote:
kiezum wrote: - It was cheap at $56!
Waves did a "$50 off" voucher last week, limited to 25% on single plugins such as Codex, then others like AudioDeluxe and WavesUniverse followed suit. Lasted only 10 hours or so, as the voucher was linked to a Waves online show (http://www.waves.com/everything-audio). Got the quoted price at WavesUniverse.
You can still get Codex for $85 at both shops. It's definitely worth it.
Congrats on your first post, by the way. :clap:
Last edited by Fleer on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

I demoed both and bought serum. Not much going on in codex I can't already do.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

This thread began as a *Feature list VS Feature list* fiesta. Such lists usually have poor meanings.

If this was not the case, and if we transplant this thread into the VA field, everybody would use Modular Analog synths like the Xils 4, and nobody would use such things as an Sh-101, or better, a Tb-303 emulation. I have a real Sh-101, and one of my workmates a System 100. We use both.

The sound : In a synthesizer everything counts in the final 'sound'. Having gazillions of filters is nice, provided that these filters sound good. Having 3 filter types is equally good, also provided that these filters sound good, or even better, good AND unique. Same for all other audio blocks and their interactions that constitutes : a synth. At the end of the day, features will not be printed in your track. Sound will ....

my 0.002
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Fleer wrote:
PatricB wrote:
kiezum wrote: - It was cheap at $56!
Waves did a "$50 off" voucher last week, limited to 25% on single plugins such as Codex, then others like AudioDeluxe and WavesUniverse followed suit. Lasted only 10 hours or so, as the voucher was linked to a Waves online show (http://www.waves.com/everything-audio). Got the quoted price at WavesUniverse.
You can still get Codex for $85 at both shops. It's definitely worth it.
Congrats on your first post, by the way. :clap:
Thanks. How come I never know that stuff....

Haha, really, I can see it. Kind of lame since I registered in 2008, lol.
Guess I'm a reader then :wink:

Lotuzia wrote:This thread began as a *Feature list VS Feature list* fiesta. Such lists usually have poor meanings.

If this was not the case, and if we transplant this thread into the VA field, everybody would use Modular Analog synths like the Xils 4, and nobody would use such things as an Sh-101, or better, a Tb-303 emulation. I have a real Sh-101, and one of my workmates a System 100. We use both.

The sound : In a synthesizer everything counts in the final 'sound'. Having gazillions of filters is nice, provided that these filters sound good. Having 3 filter types is equally good, also provided that these filters sound good, or even better, good AND unique. Same for all other audio blocks and their interactions that constitutes : a synth. At the end of the day, features will not be printed in your track. Sound will ....

my 0.002
Yeah but the "sound" of codex is something that can be achieved with plenty of other things. At least I didn't hear anything unique that I couldn't do with any other synth with exotic or importable waveforms.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Btw. somebody knows if Codex is also programmed by Guy Rotem (the guy who also programmed Element for Waves)?

4damind wrote:Btw. somebody knows if Codex is also programmed by Guy Rotem (the guy who also programmed Element for Waves)?
Afaik he was part of a dev team.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

PatricB wrote:
Thanks. How come I never know that stuff....
There are two great threads to bookmark at KVR:
- http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=262151
- http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=262178
Have fun!

Serum's demo GUI is sluggish on my system

Logic 9 32 bit

dual xeon Mac pro 1,1
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Return to “Instruments”