Codex vs Serum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth Serum

musiclover55547 wrote:
mcbpete wrote:Wonder if this big price drop was in response to the Serum update - seems quite a coincidence ...
I hardly think Xfer is even keeping track of Codex. It is just not competing WT synthesizers; Serum blows Waves' half baked monster out of the water, though I don't believe I'm stating a sentiment that's probably not been thought by just about everyone who knows what the two are.
In all honesty, I have and know both, but I don't feel like you do. Serum is fantastic. Flexible. Great sound. Great UI. Codex, otoh, feels more like a hardware instrument. Even sounds a bit more like one, in the sense that it has a fixed sonic character.

Sometimes I want to go to a theme park, and that's Serum, for sure. But, every once and a while, I just want a fun ride on a skateboard. That's Codex. It was cheap and it does sound great.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yep ! and now Codex is $24.89 on AudioDeluxe. Recognize Serum as top-class choice, but Codex at this cost seems strong value! IMHO

sostenuto wrote:Yep ! and now Codex is $24.89 on AudioDeluxe. Recognize Serum as top-class choice, but Codex at this cost seems strong value! IMHO
That's as much as you'd pay for a nice preset pack, and it comes with a nice preset pack.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Love them both. Codex at this pricepoint (sale) is a no brainer

Of all of the vsts I own (which are too numerous to mention), I have never generated more amazing sounds quickly than with Codex. Comparing it to Serum may or may not be fair but Codex is wonderful.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

Chemik wrote:Of all of the vsts I own (which are too numerous to mention), I have never generated more amazing sounds quickly than with Codex. Comparing it to Serum may or may not be fair but Codex is wonderful.
Your comment pushed me to the point of no return

As of this moment it is still $21.90
code DK39S
http://everyplugin.com/codex-wavetable-synth.html

Personally, I like Codex for its innate characterful sound, whereas Serum is very digital
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I want to buy from Audio Deluxe, but, i just don't get an email with the "further instructions" when i try to create a new account on their site. Freakin' hate registration issues like that... guess they don't want my money.

Edit: And then a minute later, the email arrives... :x

I'd love to pick it up, but had a fun experience where installing Linear Phase Multiband wrecked the installation of my only other Waves plug-in (out of WUP) despite specifically telling the installer to leave it alone when it asked. Haven't bothered reclaiming the license which I'm apparently allowed to do once (or was it once a year?) and just cut ties instead. If I had any faith I'd still be able to reliably use it in the future without paying Waves a retainer, I'd be all over it.

^ Why not telling the problem to Waves support too?

It shouldn't touch the other installed items. You just login to your Waves account on their site, then in your account, enter the new serial code (register new product) then launch the Waves Central app. It will sync and then list the new item in the center pane. You select the item (tick the box beside it), then click "install and activate" - the big green button on the bottom right. It does its thing, then you are good to go.

What can I say, it did touch it! Old versions concordant with my version number at the time of licensing weren't available on the website.

Sonicpowa: I was under the impression that you didn't get tech support if your WUP had expired. Am I wrong there?

I'm wondering if there's maybe a conflict between having one major version of one plug-in and another major version of another - does this bugger up the WavesShell perhaps?

Maybe I will pick this up anyway to be honest. It's a great deal and I don't hold any malice or anything toward them. Deciding it seemed more hassle than it was worth was a purely personal decision rather than something I was forced into, given how little money I had invested in the Waves ecosystem. I could install Codex only and guard the installer for the correct version number with my life.

cron wrote:Sonicpowa: I was under the impression that you didn't get tech support if your WUP had expired. Am I wrong there?
But you have WUP for LinPhaseMB or was it a demo version?

Yeah, I had the WUP for LinPhaseMB but it was Kramer Tape that was knackered (after installing LinPhaseMB and telling the installer to leave Kramer alone). If I was running a giant studio I can totally see why the business model is good for those guys - guaranteed future compatibility and top notch tech support is no doubt worth the money for the pros - but as a hobbyist I just cut my losses and moved on.

Seriously tempted by this deal regardless though.

So how to understand this WUP thing? I register Codex today, and get one year of updates, and after that, i won't receive any more updates for Codex, if there are any?

Return to “Instruments”