Another Waves Codex Failure Story

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow..just wow

For the first time in 10 years or so of using VSTIs, I literally cannot even get this software to install!

The closest I can get is doing the install, doing the waves license center thing and then when I fire up Cubase I get a prompt "select waves 9.3 plugins folder" and then no matter which folder I send it to (install dir, steinberg's VST plugin folder (32 or 64 bit), waveshell folder etc), it just re-opens the prompt.

This is the worst software installation process of any software I have ever bought, period. I have completely lost interest in even trying it now. I want my money back...!

You didn't demo first?
Silly boy.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

On Mac Mavericks, had no problem with installation at all.
Music you can believe in:
http://rebshaya.com

No problem here on Windows 7 64-bit with Cubase 7.5 trial version and full versions of Live 9 64-bit, Studio One 2.6 64-bit, Reaper 4.7 64-bit and also with the AAX in Pro Tools 11.2.1.

i registered the license for Codex at my Waves account (have not purchased it directly at Waves...), installed Waves License Center + the Codex single plugin from the Waves v9 installer, started Waves License Center (with entering my login information), moved the license from the Cloud to my USB flash drive and everything was running fine...

PS:
I once was so stupid to format the flash drive where i had the license of Element installed. Used the recover feature in the License Center and it worked again. There is a YouTube a video about how to do this.

This is also included at the end of a general video about the License Center:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBKYN6w769E
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

no problems here at all installing in Studio One 2, very happy with it.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

See if the one in Program Files (x86)/Waves/Plug-Ins V9 works.

I could add another "works for me" or "try the demo next time" story here, but that obviously doesn't help the OP.

What OS are we talking about? I'm on Windows, so if you're on a Mac I can't help as much. 32 bit or 64 bit?

As far as I know, if Waves prompts you for the plugin folder, you have to provide the folder holding the WaveShell plugin. Make sure to try both the VST3 version (e.g., in Windows typically located at "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" for x64, though *all* shells are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Waveshells as well on my system) and the VST2 version (path provided during installation IIRC), matching the architecture of your DAW (32bit/64bit). But then again, I never got this prompt, so maybe try to re-install the Waves plugins and flush any plugin cach in your DAW.

Try a different DAW.

Try to run the DAW with administrative privileges (wasn't necessary for me, but who knows).

And, last but not least, get in touch with Waves support, that's what they're there for, right?

paterpeter wrote:I could add another "works for me" or "try the demo next time" story here, but that obviously doesn't help the OP.
He wasn't asking for help.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

paterpeter wrote: As far as I know, if Waves prompts you for the plugin folder, you have to provide the folder holding the WaveShell plugin.
Usually it should not be necessary if you selected the correct folder during the installation.

Anyway i also tried to manually copy the WavesShell plugin to another location and this worked too.
You indeed only need the location of the WavesShell plugin, not that of the single plugins.

The single plugins will not appaear in your Vstplugins folder but they should appear in the host.
Those are usually installed in a different folder (at Windows in Program Files\Waves\Plug-ins V9) but you don't really have to care about those as this will be handled by the WavesShell DLL file.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Contact waves support. They are usually pretty fast in fairness.

Oh, and it worked for me no hassles.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

My impression is that he didn't authorized the plug-ins proiperly. And he never posted any reply to the several suggestions, and even didn't clarify what was wrong. He simply stated: "I literally cannot even get this software to install!". So, what can possibly go wrong with an installer that worked for pretty much everybody else?

And the dialog described, he just have to point to the plug-ins folder inside the Waves folder. Is he doing that? Doesn't seem so, but nobody knows.
Fernando (FMR)

Mushy Mushy wrote:You didn't demo first?
Silly boy.
Yes, demo'd. Demo worked. Full version didn't.

Kindred wrote:
Silly boy.
Interesting.

As mentioned above, contact Waves.
I hear their support is quite good.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Ingonator wrote:No problem here on Windows 7 64-bit with Cubase 7.5 trial version and full versions of Live 9 64-bit, Studio One 2.6 64-bit, Reaper 4.7 64-bit and also with the AAX in Pro Tools 11.2.1.

i registered the license for Codex at my Waves account (have not purchased it directly at Waves...), installed Waves License Center + the Codex single plugin from the Waves v9 installer, started Waves License Center (with entering my login information), moved the license from the Cloud to my USB flash drive and everything was running fine...

PS:
I once was so stupid to format the flash drive where i had the license of Element installed. Used the recover feature in the License Center and it worked again. There is a YouTube a video about how to do this.

This is also included at the end of a general video about the License Center:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBKYN6w769E
Hmmm...USB flash drive? Maybe that is the problem. At this stage I just selected the computer option (there were two options, USB & computer)

Why do you need a USB to run the software btw?

Kindred wrote:
Silly boy.
How did the demo worked and the full version don't? It's the same software, the same installer, etc. - nothing changes

The only thing that changes is the authorization, which changes from a temporary one (that lasts for seven days) to an infinite one.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”