One Synth Challenge #69: X-Jupitae Flexoid by CK_Modules (Congrats to Keith303!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chris-S wrote:Is Flexoid made with SynthEdit 1.0? This has had some issues when using multiple instances.
Hey Chris, not sure about the actual version but it is definitely SE. The actual performance of the plug-in, in therms of resource usage is phenomenally good. Using REAPER's detailed performance monitor I can see that one instance of Molot uses more than the 15 instances of Flexoid altogether.

Okay maybe a slight exaggeration but still very economical IMHO.

I thought that had been sorted now, in any case I think there is a work around for that which involves having multiple copies of the "synth" DLL and giving each copy a different name, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:I thought that had been sorted now, in any case I think there is a work around for that which involves having multiple copies of the "synth" DLL and giving each copy a different name, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
kk had not tried that one but I have used that tactic several times in the past. Hopefully it will work this time :pray:

Thx for the tip :tu:

H-man wrote:I am experiencing some really long load times using Flexoid in REAPER DAW. Has anyone seen similar? In short, the project has 15 or so instances and loads fine, however, accessing the GUI and loading/changing presets is now almost unworkable. Maybe up to a 30-40 second "hang" when changing or saving presets.

RAM usage is high but not over the top. System is REAPER (latest) 32-bit on Win 7 64-bit.
I did a quick test because I have the same configuration (Reaper 32 on Win-7-64).
With cut&paste I created 12 tracks, each with FX-chain Flexo->ReaEQ.

I don't notice the hangs you are reporting. Opening FX window and changing presets works quick.
But I have tons of RAM (16 GB). :D

Yeah right-o ...rub it in then :x

For clarity, AFAICT, the issue started to crop up after I had saved a bunch of presets to REAPERs internal preset management feature. Who knows, maybe one of the presets had a glitch and sent the whole thing haywire.

I'll create a bunch of new .dlls and see if that works tonight.

And ... here is DoctorBob's entry for OSC 69 ... quite a challenge this one ... hope you like the tune.

Had a lot of issues with stuck notes. Resolved easily by a reload, but a pain nonetheless. As usual I may revise this a bit during the next week or so. But here it is - didn't expect to be first in!

Daw: Reaper

24 instances of XJ Flexoid - patches mainly from scratch.

Track FX Use:

24 ReaEQ
17 Classic Compressor
9 LFX-1310 (autopan only)
6 Twin Delay
5 EpicVerb

Master FX:

BootEQMKII
Classic Compressor
Classic Master Limiter

DR: 6

Please enjoy,

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... oid-osc-69

doctorbob wrote:And ... here is DoctorBob's entry for OSC 69 ... quite a challenge this one ... hope you like the tune.
I like it! Definitely has a really interesting feel to it. It sounds a little harsh on my ears though - really loud high end! But the thoroughly filtered sound with the warm kick is a really cool basis. Some of the subtle sounds remind me of Kraftwerk, and some of that really chaotic section would almost fit in on an old Jesus and Mary Chain album, haha!! :D
doctorbob wrote:Had a lot of issues with stuck notes.
Same here. I use Reaper too, and Flexoid doesn't seem to always receive 'note off' messages - even during rendering, which is double wierd, haha! :shrug:

My entry will be in soonish. Just polishing now!

jlanthier wrote:sounds a little harsh on my ears though - really loud high end!
OK. Could be my 65 year old ears and exposure to Marshall stacks! I'll get a freq analyser on it and maybe do a little EQ-ing on the master chain.
My entry will be in soonish. Just polishing now!
I'll watch out for it ... mine's not been moderated yet onto the Flexoid submissions ...

Thanks for the kind comments. More of a mixture this time ...

dB

Chris-S wrote:
H-man wrote:I am experiencing some really long load times using Flexoid in REAPER DAW. Has anyone seen similar? In short, the project has 15 or so instances and loads fine, however, accessing the GUI and loading/changing presets is now almost unworkable. Maybe up to a 30-40 second "hang" when changing or saving presets.

RAM usage is high but not over the top. System is REAPER (latest) 32-bit on Win 7 64-bit.
I did a quick test because I have the same configuration (Reaper 32 on Win-7-64).
With cut&paste I created 12 tracks, each with FX-chain Flexo->ReaEQ.

I don't notice the hangs you are reporting. Opening FX window and changing presets works quick.
But I have tons of RAM (16 GB). :D
This is fantastic advice, in the past worked for me on many old synths done with synth edit :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

bjporter wrote:This is fantastic advice, in the past worked for me on many old synths done with synth edit :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Yep confirmed. This has resolved my issue. All is well that ends well :phones:

Flexoid, Wideboy and my other SE_VSTs are all built with SE1.18 which is the most stable reliable version of SE (IMO)

I think hanging notes can occur when the PatternArp is being used and changing presets.
If there are other occasions then please let me know

Regarding long loading times, SE can take a while to initially load the VST/GUI because of the many controls and the additional data for PatArp and Envelopes etc, SE isn't great at handling these things as on loading it updates every single preset.

Cheers!....Chris

C.Kerry wrote:Flexoid, Wideboy and my other SE_VSTs are all built with SE1.18 which is the most stable reliable version of SE (IMO)
Cheers!....Chris
Hey sorry, I didn't mean to say your synth was old :oops: I meant that hack has been helpful in the past.

I must say Flexoid is possibly the sexiest looking SE synth I've ever seen :tu:

I think the design is by Limeflavour. :tu:

caonoize wrote: OK. I found that the lower gray bar is a text field, but I still get no sound.
Things are happy again. Some time during the summer, I upgraded my jack software on the 64 bit side, but didn't upgrade the jack libraries under the 32 bit wine. The Jupitae software (and most other 32 bit Win VSTis) runs fine. Now if I could get Minimogue LUXUS (both TD and not) to not crash, I'd be happy.
Last edited by caonoize on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by caonoize on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”