One Synth Challenge #71: Hive by u-he (Jasinski wins! 2+ hours of epic music)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice job everyone!

I hope to participate again soon, but I'm not *quite* desperate enough to buy a PC. Hope a mac-compatible synth pops up soon.

@jasinski I'm 45 and I listen to dubstep. :)

Hi,
The link "Listen to songs" in post #1 of this thread is wrong (pointing to ravarok).

EDIT: Thanks for repairing.
Last edited by Chris-S on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Congratulations to all you fine people who entered, especially to the winner Jasinski!
Here's the correct link:
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-71-hive

Some great tracks there. I'm personally most impressed by 2nd place 'Lovejoy' (Photonic): Retro Vangelis style, demonstrates how very "analogue" Hive can sound.

EDIT: And #5 "Lawless" by z.prime !
Last edited by Howard on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howard wrote:...Some great tracks there. I'm personally most impressed by 2nd place 'Lovejoy' (Photonic): Retro Vangelis style, demonstrates how very "analogue" Hive can sound.
I feel very honored to get such comment from you!
Thank you very much :hug:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

ImNotDedYet wrote: Ironically, I've found that a lot of stuff I've posted - be them songs I produced or DJ mixes often result in the opposite reaction as I'd expect. Stuff I'm really not that fond of oftentimes is very well received and other things I think I've just nailed and done beautifully and really love the musical content isn't so hotly received. It is what it is...win some, lose some, as long as I try to get better each time.
Ain't this always the truth? I am in love with a track, and spend weeks massaging it......and no one cares. I throw together a little tune in a day or two, half-ass the mix, and everyone loves it.

I guess we lack a certain perspective after hearing a song 500 times before the final print. Maybe we aren't the best judge of our own stuff sometimes.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

EDGEK8D wrote:... in love with a track, and spend weeks massaging it......and no one cares...
And THAT is the truth. It doesn't matter the means to get there, people are going to like the track or not.

There's something up on the wall where I work that basically lists out the things end users don't care about when developing software, things like: how elegant the code is, how you spent weeks on it... they just care about the finished product.

And music is exactly the same way. It can be discouraging. I definitely get lost in the weeds getting something "perfect" only to realize later it was just really not necessary, or maybe I should have just left it alone in the first place.

We all need someone near us to say :" Well, I don't get it.", or "oooh, that's neat!"
Listen to that person.

The OSC really applies to anything in life as far as music is concerned.

An A&R person was once addressing a group at a music seminar back in the 90s. I'll never forget what he said.

"We are paid to be wrong. But every once in a while, we better be right."

In other words, they are paid to take chances on a lot of music that doesn't sell or pass on music that they don't think will sell and for all they know would have. They are wrong more often than they are right. But every once in a while, they better take a chance on a band that brings in the bucks.

That's pretty much what the OSC is. You may be wrong a lot more than you're right because there is simply no way to really predict what people are going to like and not like. You can try to go by past winners and stuff like that but ultimately, it's going to come down to YOUR track and how OTHERS perceive it.

Regardless of what you had in mind or THINK it sounds like.

Howard wrote:Congratulations to all you fine people who entered, especially to the winner Jasinski!
Here's the correct link:
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-71-hive

Some great tracks there. I'm personally most impressed by 2nd place 'Lovejoy' (Photonic): Retro Vangelis style, demonstrates how very "analogue" Hive can sound.
Thank you Howard!

ThePresent wrote:We all need someone near us to say :" Well, I don't get it.", or "oooh, that's neat!"
Listen to that person.
Totally agree. Although in my case it's normally: "Hey, that sounds like s**t!" or "What the f**k were you thinking?" Then that person smacks me on the head, zen Buddha-style.

Nightpolymath wrote:
ThePresent wrote:We all need someone near us to say :" Well, I don't get it.", or "oooh, that's neat!"
Listen to that person.
Totally agree. Although in my case it's normally: "Hey, that sounds like s**t!" or "What the f**k were you thinking?" Then that person smacks me on the head, zen Buddha-style.
I have this person actually - it's me, and I'm able to say these kinds of things after a couple weeks away from a song...holy hell, that sucks! is a common one, but WTF were you thinking is also popular.

I only just listened to z.prime's entry, which got the #5 spot - cooler than it seems at first! :-)
Last edited by Howard on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

The top five got an average of 4.8 points from me. Top ten still got 4.4. Seems I'm a mainstream OSC#71 listener. -- sawsq age 52. ;)

Howard wrote:I only just listened to z.prime's entry, which got the #5 spot - cooler than it seems at first! :-)
Would love to see you in a future OSC Howard :D

Howard wrote:I only just listened to z.prime's entry, which got the #5 spot - cooler than it seems at first! :-)
Thanks; really appreciate the comment. :o And, as Brian said, would love to hear how you could push a synth in one of these contests! :)

Return to “Instruments”