One Synth Challenge #71: Hive by u-he (Jasinski wins! 2+ hours of epic music)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

z.prime wrote:
Howard wrote:I only just listened to z.prime's entry, which got the #5 spot - cooler than it seems at first! :-)
Thanks; really appreciate the comment. :o And, as Brian said, would love to hear how you could push a synth in one of these contests! :)
I will third that.

Congrats to Jasinski and the rest of the top 5! So many great tracks.

I just wanted to thank everyone for being so supportive and helpful. As another one of the old guys, most all of my tracks are never heard by anyone other then myself. This has been a very positive and fun experience and I can't wait for the next Mac friendly challenge.

I started with Super Sequencer 128 on the Apple 2, a Yamaha MT44D 4 track, Jupiter 6, D-50 and TX81Z. Oh how things have changed!

Yavn wrote:Congrats to Jasinski and the rest of the top 5! So many great tracks.

I just wanted to thank everyone for being so supportive and helpful. As another one of the old guys, most all of my tracks are never heard by anyone other then myself. This has been a very positive and fun experience and I can't wait for the next Mac friendly challenge.

I started with Super Sequencer 128 on the Apple 2, a Yamaha MT44D 4 track, Jupiter 6, D-50 and TX81Z. Oh how things have changed!
Changed? We're in another universe my friend. I don't even recognize it compared to 1979

wagtunes wrote: Changed? We're in another universe my friend. I don't even recognize it compared to 1979
Hehe :hihi:

Imagine how I feel starting out working with musicians etc in the 1964. But then, I did get to go and see gigs by The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, Moody Blues and so on!

Yup, things have changed mightily!!!! In those days we built our own amps, mainly valves of course and some early transistor based ones, could not afford a VOX or similar, far too poor! :D

dB

doctorbob wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Changed? We're in another universe my friend. I don't even recognize it compared to 1979
Hehe :hihi:

Imagine how I feel starting out working with musicians etc in the 1964. But then, I did get to go and see gigs by The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, Moody Blues and so on!

Yup, things have changed mightily!!!! In those days we built our own amps, mainly valves of course and some early transistor based ones, could not afford a VOX or similar, far too poor! :D

dB
Back in the 60s I was just listening to music and never even dreamed of making it. Did get a guitar in the mid 60s but never really did much with it. Too painful on the fingers for a 10 year old. Chucked it for some new GI Joe equipment. Tinkered around with my mom's piano every once in a while but never took that very seriously either. It wasn't until I had my heart stomped on by a girl that I buried myself in composing. But I should have seen that was doomed to fail as my influences throughout my childhood were opera, classical symphonies, Broadway, the Beatles, bubble gum and Led Zep. You can only imagine what my songs sounded like. Thirty-six years later I still haven't gotten anywhere but I've sure had a hell of a lot of fun on the journey.

The OSC is my chance to at least get some kind of recognition for something I've done in my life musically. It may not sound like much, but after 36 years, trust me, anything is golden.

a little late to the party, but i just wanted to drop by and congratulate Jasinski and everyone else who made it to the top 5! really really top notch tracks, showing how far you can go with just a single synthesizer ;)

someone said some pages ago (sorry, forgot who was it) that one of the things that help making a track shine in osc is pushing the synth to its limits, doing unconventional things with it, and i definitely agree with that - i kinda tried to do that in my track with all the c64-inspired drum sounds going on, at first i thought it would be impossible to get something even close with hive but with a bit of layering and lateral thinking it eventually worked. oh and yeah, you never really know how people are going to receive your track, and with so many widly different tracks around the end result can get a little unpredictable (i didn't really expect to make it to the top 5, though)

either way thanks to everybody who gave some feedback, that's always appreciated! and congrats to the winners again, you guys deserved it :D

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! Just give me a shout out if I can ever be of service or some help to anyone here.

EDGEK8D wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote: Ain't this always the truth? I am in love with a track, and spend weeks massaging it......and no one cares. I throw together a little tune in a day or two, half-ass the mix, and everyone loves it.
I learned this lesson big time when I was in my first band in the late 80's. We made a few pretty good songs, I spent weeks and sometimes months making them sound great (Despite using an ancient version of Cakewalk on an Atari ST).

We appeared on a local radio program where they played our music and took calls. Nobody called.

Later, we noticed that some truly terrible bands got more attention than us there. So we recorded some really fast songs that we made up as we went along, doing 2-3 songs a night and not caring about the result. We made them awful on purpose, created an imaginary band called "Pocket Trout", and sent the demo tape to the radio station.

A couple of weeks later they called us and we appeared on the radio as "Pocket Trout". We got several phone calls, people wanted to know when the album came out, and they kept requesting the songs in future programs. We even met one of the other "terrible" bands and found out they had a serious band that nobody had heard of too...

So I learned that public reaction isn't at all related to the quality of a track. So I should just make the music I want to make and if people choose a track to like from time to time, I try to be honored instead of arguing with them because they picked the wrong song. :)

jasinski wrote:Thanks again everyone for the kind words! Just give me a shout out if I can ever be of service or some help to anyone here.
You know, I have to give you kudos when they're deserved.

A thread here talking about Sonigen Modular got me to playing around with mine and then going to Soundcloud to listen to some stuff. That got me to looking up Bazille because I've been seriously thinking of getting it (really into modulars) and that's when i ran into OSC 47 and your Bazille track.

Totally blew me away. I looked to see where you finished for that contest and couldn't believe you only came in 9th. Now I didn't listen to 1 through 8 but if they truly were better than yours (I'm skeptical) then that must have been one heck of a contest that month.

I honestly didn't get your entry into this month's contest. But now I can see that you simply march to a very different drummer. I'm now off to listen to a lot more of your stuff.

Even though I didn't contribute to your victory this month, I'm glad you won it. You are amazingly talented as an arranger. You make me sound like a total hack, as you'll discover when you listen to my OSC for this month.

I just felt this needed to be said.

You sir, are a pro.

jasinski wrote:Thanks again everyone for the kind words! Just give me a shout out if I can ever be of service or some help to anyone here.
The kind words are well deserved! And ... I may take you up one of these days for some help! :tu:
dB

doctorbob wrote:
The kind words are well deserved! And ... I may take you up one of these days for some help! :tu:
dB
Yeah, you and me both because I feel like total amateur after listening his Bazille track from OSC 47.

Ah thanks Wagtunes!
I know I've won a few OSCs but I'm here really because I love making music and I love the idea of making everything with one synth. I enjoy the people in this community too. It's cool we all got different styles. Totally feel free to hit me up if you want some tips or feedback. I'm not an expert but I've spent a lot of time trying to learn and I've kind of figured a few things out. We're all in it together right?

jasinski wrote:Ah thanks Wagtunes!
I know I've won a few OSCs but I'm here really because I love making music and I love the idea of making everything with one synth. I enjoy the people in this community too. It's cool we all got different styles. Totally feel free to hit me up if you want some tips or feedback. I'm not an expert but I've spent a lot of time trying to learn and I've kind of figured a few things out. We're all in it together right?
Yes, we are. And that's what I love about musicians. When push comes to shove, we love helping and rooting for each other.

As for hitting you up, thanks but I know everybody has limited time and enough on their plate already. If I'm really stuck on something or have a particular question about a sound you came up with or something simple, sure. But most of the time I just kind of slug through things on my own.

It builds character. :wink:

Yep, just to throw out a few tidbits... My personal favorite Jasinski track is still: Motes and Beams, which he won the OSC with Olga; and this was a tricky synth for certain types of percussion... It was the first track that, true to form, I thought to myself "surely this can't be done with just one synth!" I also noticed, scrolling through nostalgia lane, back when multiple entries were allowed, Jasinski submitted 3 tracks for Dune BE. One of which was a rock track that wasn't really my cup of tea, but from a composition and technical standpoint was probably one of the most brilliant OSC tracks I've heard. I think 2 of them finished in the top 5 that month. Not sure if that's happened before or since.

Anyway, do check out at least the top 5 winning OSC entries in past OSCs, too. There are a LOT of really good tracks by a lot of really talented people.

A couple other pretty amazing facts:

Yeager has submitted a track for every single OSC since #1 (right?)!!! That is insane to me!! Insane! And they are always very good. My personal favorite: Die! (you would understand why, if you listened to it).

Irion Da Ronin also was a very frequent participant and winning competitor, who has sadly been a bit absent of late due to other things, I'm sure. The first OSC track that absolutely blew me away was his: Asian Passion.

Cheers!

Z, strangely, that rock track you mention from the Dune contest has the highest listen counts of all my music on soundcloud. I guess I should make more indie rock eh?

You (z.prime), Yeager, and Irion, are all amazing OSC muscians. Don't forget Photonic too. Just saying.

Return to “Instruments”