If synths have a filter, how can I play notes high on the keyboard

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe a strange question. But if a synth has a low pass filter, then how can I play notes high on the keyboard? Because the filter filters the high frequencies played at the higher octaves.
Dúnedain

Most synths allow key-following filter, which changes cutoff frequency depending on note playing.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

That, and it makes sense for certain types of sounds if just the high end is dampened. Synth filters usually attenuate frequencies by using fairly gentle slopes, so that high notes aren't completely muted (depending on where you set the cutoff, of course). Think of shrill bell-type sounds, for example.

Each note has a whole spectrum of frequencies, not just one frequency, the base frequency so to speak. So, bass notes also have higher-frequency content, some more some less, depending on the patch.

Magic high frequency pixie fairies. I have to hose their dessicated corpses out of my keyboard alla time.

Return to “Instruments”