One Synth Challenge #72: Eclipsis by VSTZONE (Richard Semper Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Eclipsis

Yes, sorry if anything I suggested caused you to crank up the volume too much. I suggest check it without the limiter and see how loud it is. It should not be clipping or maybe clipping very little, then add the limiter without a large input boost.

@jdruery:
- Sound of your song: Yes I think it is brighter, more clear a bit better defined now. In my ears it sounds better than before. But the changes seem to be so subtle that I`m not completely sure if my ears are "honesty" I hope you understand what I mean. Additional feedback from others would be helpful in this case.
- Your Folk Songs: I like them a lot. I also had a phase in my life when I made Irish and American Folk music :D As soon as I will have recovered from this "OSC stress" ( :lol: ) I can enjoy listen the music you all here produce, that`s quite intresting. By the way: You could also try Eclipsis for producing Folk Songs. Tatanka does already. That`s the reason why he loves Eclipsis so much, because of all this great imitations of real instruments you can use for Folk Music.
- Your mastering tipps: Thanks a lot. I understand this all now better after I did it by myself. I could hear and even see what happened with the track.
esteband wrote:
Mojo42 wrote:@Esteband: I really don`t know what you are talking about. I listen your song now the third time and I can`t hear anything of pops, clicks, terrible sound and so on (???) Am I deaf? I think it sounds really well.
I haven't uploaded my new mix yet. I was hoping to find a solution to the pops and clicks first. However, even the mix that is currently up on soundcloud has issues. If I listen to just the first few bars with headphones (and turned up pretty loud), I can hear them.
That`s probably the reason why I didn`t hear anything, I listened it in a completely normal loudness.
bjporter wrote: Some impressive drums there, and congrats on the track :) :tu: :tu:
:phew: :lol:

Thanks a lot for feedback. Concerning the drums: I used MHORSE P3 for to push up the kick a little bit and for to give it a bit more punch and for the snare I used a preset of TAL Reverb......I guess it was called Drums Ambience or so. I made it bit more wet and that was all.
bjporter wrote: Unimatrix Zero is an epic name actually.
I don`t know exactly what has driven me to this madness, everyone will expect super arranged high level Ambient Songs by reading this artist name and then they will find something like "Signs And Wonders" :lol: I guess I have to grow into this name first :wink: I will work on it.
wagtunes wrote: I like it. Nice and soothing. Nice arrangement. Don't even know what I'd criticize other than maybe you played it a little "safe". But that's fine. Better safe and do something that's pleasant than dive in with all guns blazing and churn out an ungodly mess.
Yep. Simply everything is safe at this song. I could not dare to make any little experiment at all in my situation :lol:

Maybe later when I feel more secure in this matter and have more practise I can show you my wild and crazy sides too :hihi: But that will take a while I guess.
wagtunes wrote: Definitely a :tu: from me
Thanks a lot :) I feel a great relief.
TrojakEW wrote:Mojo42: It is nice track but there is something that wont let me enjoy it. There is some hard clipping here causign distortion in your track. check loudnes and limiter of yours. For example when starting at 10s. Try to fix that it it will be GREAT.
Ah thanks for telling me :) I didn`t recognize this until now. I will try to fix that.
bjporter wrote:
TrojakEW wrote:Mojo42: It is nice track but there is something that wont let me enjoy it. There is some hard clipping here causign distortion in your track. check loudnes and limiter of yours. For example when starting at 10s. Try to fix that it it will be GREAT.
I noticed that too. FYI I rarely put anything on my Master channel in the OSC.
What is FYI??? Concerning this "Master Channel" issue I don`t understand a word, because can I put it to somewhere else than on the Master Channel :?: I mean, I`m not aware of that I have got any choice here, because I just know the Master Channel as an output. Aaaaaaaaah I`m afraid this becomes too much complicated for me :lol: I will turn the volume down and I hope that will solve the problem :scared:

It`s a long and windy road............and I`m walking..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gFuX8HHJQ
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

z.prime wrote:Yes, sorry if anything I suggested caused you to crank up the volume too much.
No problem. That`s all a learning process.
z.prime wrote: I suggest check it without the limiter and see how loud it is. It should not be clipping or maybe clipping very little, then add the limiter without a large input boost.
It was clipping a very little and I just hoped that it will be no problem. I went until the limit for to make sure that everybody can hear anything at all when playing my song. Now I`m wiser :wink: One have to go through this try and error process. I will try to fix that and then I will fall into my bed because tonight I will sleep. Om.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
Daodejing verse 37

Mojo42 wrote:Thanks to you all :) I guess I understand now. I made already what is described here. The output parameter at my DAW is around 0 dB. I also made sure that it not moves into the yellow or even red area. The maximum peak (if I understand this english term right) is -7.12 dB.

I also understood that mastering is not making a song as loud as possible. It is just: All what I have read until now is actually this: A song must be as loud as possible for to be good and so I supposed this aspect would be very important. But it seems that it is not. That`s very calming and in this sense I will focused myself tonight on my final mixdown and hope that it will be okay then.

Sorry for bothering you all so heavily :oops: It`s just I`m unsure in almost each aspect because this is all new and hard to get for me. It is only my love to music which motivates me to deal with all this technical stuff one need a graduate degree for to understand or at least ages for to learn.

Okay. I will take a deep breath and end this song now :lol: Om

Hello

I must admit learning about mastering can be a subject that starts to frazzle the brain at times.
What I have found is less is more and usually only use a limiter on the master track with a ceiling between -1.5 and -3 dB,look ahead at 3ms and auto release time (am using abletons limiter).

cheers

Update: Well, I have no idea. I made it this way: Reduced the input level, exported again to audio, loaded the song again, pushed up the input level to the absolutely maximum and checked out if it is yellow or green. As long as it was yellow I constantly reduced the input level and now there is no overdrive possible even if someone else is push the volume at his/her audio system to it´s absolutely maximum. At least I guess. I had no other idea, because if I would understand this here:
spidergod wrote: Hello

I must admit learning about mastering can be a subject that starts to frazzle the brain at times.
What I have found is less is more and usually only use a limiter on the master track with a ceiling between -1.5 and -3 dB,look ahead at 3ms and auto release time (am using abletons limiter).

cheers
I wouldn`t have the problems that I have got :wink:

Spidergod, I exactly understand your post until the words "master track" :wink:

I used presets!!!! I used presets because I have no clue about auto release and what a "ceiling" of -1.5 and -3 dB is I know even less. I wish to learn this now, in the next weeks, months....apart from that I already don`t understand it in german and in english is it almost impossible. I have to learn this in german first and also need to learn the relevant vocabularies in english and then there will be progress in this issue, but for this moment I`m afraid that I`m at the limit so far.

I uploaded now the less loud version of my track and let the other version untouched, because z.prime already commented. Thanks for that by this opportunity :)

It is definitely not as loud as before (probably too silent now), but I`m afraid this "distortion" which is to hear could be my own presets *ugh* :roll:

Because it is not allowed that someone else is mastering this track for me (damned :evil: ) I`m afraid we have to live with the result so far, but I swear that I will deal with that matter next intensely.

Would be glad if someone can tell me if the clipping is gone at least. I hear a slightly distortion but as said, I`m afraid it is my own presets. I can`t judge this. I will go to bed now. The next 12 hours you won`t see me here 8)

Thanks again for all your help and Good night at least for all Europeans :wink:
Cheers Yvonne
Daodejing verse 37

PS: The final version has a maximum peak of -10.13 dB, the previous version had a maximum peak of -2.xy (can`t remind exactly) dB. For the case that someone can interprete this information.
Daodejing verse 37

Hello all!

First time KVR member here. I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to music production but I adore it and want to dive in deeper. This challenge seems like an awesome way to get things going! I'll try to put something together before the deadline :)

Cheers!
Creative Developer and Game Designer.
http://oddgoo.io

jdruery,

Vangelis is probably most famous for his spacey soundtracks, like this one, the theme to Cosmos (a late 70's science miniseries):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Lwj_ybVno

I also recommend you check out his rock stuff, which is what I think is particularly awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2cixZeAnM

This video is from his second rock band, called Socrates. His best work however, is on an album called "666 The Apocalypse of St. John", by a band called Aphrodite's Child. One of my favorite albums of all time. It's like a progressive Sgt. Pepper's with a weird biblical theme. The keyboard work is epic.

bjporter and zprime,

for the life of me, I can't figure out how to quote from your replies to my complaint about FL Studio's export glitches.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

As much as I'd like to find a solution to the problem, i simply don't have any more time to devote to my track. My latest export seems to have fixed the sample mismatch sound, but random pops still show up on some of the kick attacks. In the interest of time (and maintaining good relations with my wife), I'm just going to upload what I have. Oh well.

bjporter, if you'd like to investigate further, I could probably send you my project over the weekend when I have a little me time.

-Steve

Hey Folks,

I guess I need to announce that I remixed my track. Basically, I reworked the kick, made some slight adjustments on the mix, and just a little more FX automation. Most people won't notice much of a difference.

The track still uses 11 instances of Eclipsis. The plugins I took out and those I added are reflected in the list below:

Soundgoodizer (removed)
W1 Limiter (removed)
Cockos ReaEQ
Voxengo SPAN
Fruity Parametric EQ2
Acon Digital Multiply
Bionic Delay
Kjaerhus Classic Reverb
Fruity Delay 2
Fruity Filter
Fruity Fast Dist
Fruity Blood Overdrive
Rough Rider
GGain (added)
Kjaerhus Classic Limiter (added)

Enjoy!

-Steve

https://soundcloud.com/steveduell/dawn-of-man

Hey guys,

Probably my first post here. I made this track on FL Studio 11 with Eclipsis and lots of free samples from Black Octopus sound banks(available as free download on their website).

Apart from the regular DAW effects like Fruity Limiter, EQ2,Stereo Shaper, Reverb and Delay - I used TAL's effects(all of them) a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/sylvannas/sylvan ... nas-warmer

Sylvannas wrote:... lots of free samples from Black Octopus sound banks ... I used TAL's effects (all of them) ...
Hi there, cheers for the submission. However, you should check the rules: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules
* Samples are not allowed - only sounds from the synth
* Certain types of FX are not allowed (maybe list the specific TAL FX and we can tell you if it's allowable or not)

After sleeping last night, my brain starts to work again :lol:

I have watched a couple of videos on You Tube for to understand what a limiter is, what it does and how one should use it. I have to watch more videos for to understand it completely but until now I see at least that it is absolutely nonsense to use presets here if one has not the smallest idea of what he is doing there!!! It is necessary to make this adjustements by oneself. Otherwise it is a bit like lottery. I`m not sure if I can get this until this evening, but for the case that someone planned to comment my song: Please don`t do it. I would like to have the chance to delete my song once again. Maybe I can manage this today when watching enough videos :lol:

Cross your fingers for me :)
Daodejing verse 37

esteband wrote:I submitted my track a little too soon. I was never happy with it, but as a new dad with a rather challenging baby at home, I decided I had given this contest enough of my time. Afterwards, however, I regretted submitting it in such an unfinished state and began to touch my track some more whenever I had a break from baby duty. I re-made the kick drum and did lots of various mixing tweaks and got it to a point that's far from perfect, but much more satisfactory.

So now I'm ready to bounce the final re-mix. Everything sounds fine when i listen real-time in FL-Studio BUT... once, I export it, it sounds TERRIBLE. There are all kinds of clicks and pops that happen, usually around the attack of the kick drum. In addition, there's some aliasing that sounds a lot like a sample-rate mismatch. I've double and triple checked all of my settings and can't find any reason for this sound to show up in the rendered mix.
My situation is not unlike yours. I'm currently home with our youngest (1 year today! :party: ) so have to squeeze some production time in when he sleeps, between cleaning, washing clothes, do the dishes, pick the other kid up from daycare... Luckily he normally sleeps 3-5 hours per day now. Good luck with the baby!

As for your noise problems, I too have had random noises from the kick and sometimes other sounds. My theory is that the synth has some problem with fast attack sounds. In my final mixdown I didn't notice any issues though, so certainly seems random (or perhaps my entry is so noisy it's not noticable ;) ).
oddgoo wrote:Hello all!

First time KVR member here. I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to music production but I adore it and want to dive in deeper. This challenge seems like an awesome way to get things going! I'll try to put something together before the deadline :)

Cheers!
Nice with another new member in the contest! I hope you make it before deadline! Good luck!

Mojo42 wrote:After sleeping last night, my brain starts to work again :lol:

I have watched a couple of videos on You Tube for to understand what a limiter is, what it does and how one should use it. I have to watch more videos for to understand it completely but until now I see at least that it is absolutely nonsense to use presets here if one has not the smallest idea of what he is doing there!!! It is necessary to make this adjustements by oneself. Otherwise it is a bit like lottery. I`m not sure if I can get this until this evening, but for the case that someone planned to comment my song: Please don`t do it. I would like to have the chance to delete my song once again. Maybe I can manage this today when watching enough videos :lol:

Good luck! In any case, good job! I'm impressed you went from basically (as I understand it) never having produced anything to getting a finished track done in such short time! And don't think about the final sound level too much. There's always the volume knob if the listener wants more of it :)

mehum wrote:
oddgoo wrote:Hello all!

Cheers!
Nice with another new member in the contest! I hope you make it before deadline! Good luck!
Yep. Also a heartly welcome from my side and good luck. Hurry up!! :lol:

mehum wrote:
Mojo42 wrote:After sleeping last night, my brain starts to work again :lol:

Good luck! In any case, good job! I'm impressed you went from basically (as I understand it) never having produced anything to getting a finished track done in such short time! And don't think about the final sound level too much. There's always the volume knob if the listener wants more of it :)
Thanks for feedback :) Concerning "went from basically".......

I will give you a report of my history in producing music (including electronic music) at all so that you all know at which stage I actually am:

- Started making music at the age of 15 (now I`m 44).
- Played Bass and Guitar (sometimes also a bit percussions) and partially "tried" to sing in different Band projects over the years. I listen and like almost each kind of music from very oldstyle like Rock music from the 60`s and 70`s until super modern electronic music. I even sometimes listen Dean Martin and also already played Bass in a completely weird Death Metal Band :lol:
- So of course I also produced many different styles of music during my life. I really enjoy it to be multisided and multi interested. There is almost no music I don`t like apart from free Jazz, that`s driving me mad.
- The last 10 years I didn`t make much music because I was just too busy with other things.
- Approximately 1,5 years ago I had such an intensive You Tube Phase where I was looking for new intresting music and discovered the genre Psychill and Psybient. I was immediately hooked. I knew Ambient of course and also liked it, but Psychill and Psybient is something like Ambient plus. It has a more psychedelic touch and there are also more beats per minute partially and all in all I was completely addicted and collected all I could find on You Tube.
- Autum last year I finaly made a decision: I wished to produce such music by myself.
- I started in August 2014 with Magix Music Maker (don`t laugh!!!) :lol:
- That was so cool :D I don`t needed to know anything and all I had to do was just putting happily my loops together and had a cool song.
- But just a short time later I felt completely bored by doing this. I`m a musician and so of course I wished to create my own music completely by myself.
- In September 2014 I bought Cubase Elements 7 because it was recommended to me.
- Then I got a big, big shock!!!! I didn`t understand anything at all there. I needed alone 3 days for to find out where the record button is and how I can play something and record at all. Not to mention that I also didn`t understand one single word from the user manual although it was written obviously in german.
- I watched countless video tutorials and now I can record a song as you see. I also can edit it partially, I know the very basic things (I guess) one need to know for recording.
- I downloaded tons of software synthesizer and was completely amazed and spent the whole day long with trying one preset after another. But I also felt bored after a while of doing this, because if I need a specific sound I have to check out 100`s of presets before I can find it and some I want even don`t exist and so the next step was to deal with synthesizer programming. I guess I started this in October? November? Last year.
- Again I was immediately hooked and created my first patches. Of course I`m also still a very beginner in this issue, but at least I understand how a synthesizer works and for what all this adjustements are and what they do and so on. At least the most common functions are clear now for me.
- I`m still working on my very first song. I have finished the final mixdown recently and the next step is to deal with this mastering stuff. If it will be completely finished then I can post it on Soundcloud too. But it is a very first work and so I don`t know what you will think about. It has a length of 10 minutes, 24 instances of different Synthesizer, only presets are used here and it is kind of experimental. I simply tried different things here for learning and making experiances.
- If I hadn`t met you all here, I probably never would have published anything, because for me this is pure hobby and fun. I have no commercial interests. But I see that it is really great to get feedback and advice and I enjoy this a lot :) I hope I can give back more to you all as soon as I will have make better progress.
- This all means: I`m musician and so of course I`m able to compose something including all what is needed for a whole song. I cannot play piano/keyboard, because I never have learnt. I can play Bass and Guitar but that`s a bit different from playing keyboard :wink:

So what you hear at "Signs And Wonders" is my Midi Key Editor :lol:

But I guess this doesn`t matter much in modern music. Of course I wish to play something live at my recordings some day, but I can`t learn all at once. This will need time. Concerning all this technical aspects of producing electronic music I`m a virgin as you see. An absolutely beginner.

Cheers
Yvonne
Daodejing verse 37

Return to “Instruments”