One Synth Challenge #74: DEXED (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

deft_bonz wrote:Installed and played around for 1.5 hours, saving about 30 drum sounds presets, just to find out that the presets are not saved properly :cry: :cry: :cry:

I saved the presets as Logic presets (Logic 10.1.0, Mavericks 10.9.5). Dexed v0.8.1
Everytime I load such a Logic preset for Dexed the sound is different, as if I would trigger a random-parameter-value-function :(

Hope you guys fix that soon. I'm out for today. My mood just got killed, although the synth is quite fun and has a nice sound.

Please resolve that bug. If you need any further information I'm glad to help you out. Just PM me.
@deft_bonz: Maybe the below OS X au version dexed-0.8.OSC could fix your issues (see previous discussions in this forum about a drum sound-related bug).
asb2m10 wrote:I'm sorry but it is all my fault. While trying to support more than one DX7 engine, the "OSC sync" option got lost... I should stop playing pads with Dexed to find more bugs.

Fixes are here :
osx-vst/au : http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dex ... SC-osx.zip
win32/64 : http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dex ... SC-win.zip

PS: thanks MTLE for the troubleshooting.

Are you using the save button or the store button? I use Logic also and save did not work for me. I ended up saving my patches by writing over other patches in a soundbank using the store button, then navigating to my bank (use the external bank button), selecting the patch slot I wanted to save my patch, then make sure it's still named properly, then store the patch. After all that if the patch had started as something in a different bank, you have to load your bank and open the patch. Not exactly intuitive but it was the only way I could figure out how to save patches.

ontrackp wrote:Are you using the save button or the store button? I use Logic also and save did not work for me. I ended up saving my patches by writing over other patches in a soundbank using the store button, then navigating to my bank (use the external bank button), selecting the patch slot I wanted to save my patch, then make sure it's still named properly, then store the patch. After all that if the patch had started as something in a different bank, you have to load your bank and open the patch. Not exactly intuitive but it was the only way I could figure out how to save patches.
I used the "save as..." function from the menu on the top of the DEXED synth window to save a preset (the saved file is a *.aupreset file). This seems to work fine on my Macbook (OS X 10.10.3, Logic Pro X 10.1.1, dexed-0.8.OSC).

Hmmm.... that's definitely easier, wish I had tried that before saving lots of presets in my convoluted way!

I used Logic's own preset handler that is in the dropdown on the top of the plugin window. Used 'Save As' and created a new presets as mcaitch. The presets don't just load incorrectly, they load every time differently, like a random value generator :(

Will try the dexed-0.8.OSC version...
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Hanging notes.
Using Sonar X1, 32-bit, Windows XP, Dexed 0.8.OSC

Bass track produces notes (C5/D5) as soon as track is started. I have tried several presets from different banks and they all work the same. When I first load a new preset track plays fine. Once I stop it and start again, the hanging notes begin at once, even before bass comes in, and continue after stopping until I reset MIDI. This also happens when I bring up some other program, like WordPad to write this, and go back to Sonar. The bass track is on a separate MIDI channel. All "L"'s are set to 0.

UPDATE: This does not happen in Ableton Live 9 using the same presets/tracks. Something to do with Sonar/Dexed interaction I guess.

UPDATE: I can stop it temporarily by toggling the MONO switch.

JWHanberry wrote:Hanging notes.

Bass track produces notes (C5/D5) as soon as track is started. I have tried several presets from different banks and they all work the same. When I first load a new preset track plays fine. Once I stop it and start again, the hanging notes begin at once, even before bass comes in, and continue after stopping until I reset MIDI. This also happens when I bring up some other program, like WordPad to write this, and go back to Sonar. The bass track is on a separate MIDI channel. All "L"'s are set to 0.

UPDATE: This does not happen in Ableton Live 9 using the same presets/tracks. Something to do with Sonar/Dexed interaction I guess.

UPDATE: I can stop it temporarily by toggling the MONO switch.
Have never used Sonar, maybe you can change something in configuration? Some DAWs have multiple options to better support different plugins. If nothing helps, try freeze/render the bass track. If you get usable result, work with the rendered track on the others. If you leave the rendered track untouched you can render the final with it, or render final from midi should work as well then.
I should have a Sonar anywhere here, don't know which version, came with my Roland keyboard. Maybe I have some time at weekend to try out on Win XP with dexed.

MTLE wrote:
JWHanberry wrote:Hanging notes.

Bass track produces notes (C5/D5) as soon as track is started.

Have never used Sonar, maybe you can change something in configuration? Some DAWs have multiple options to better support different plugins. If nothing helps, try freeze/render the bass track. If you get usable result, work with the rendered track on the others. If you leave the rendered track untouched you can render the final with it, or render final from midi should work as well then.
I should have a Sonar anywhere here, don't know which version, came with my Roland keyboard. Maybe I have some time at weekend to try out on Win XP with dexed.
Great idea, thanks. At least I can work on other parts without the drone going on.

I went through all the config stuff twice trying different settings. Nothing available had any effect. It could be a bug, and not the only one, in X1.

Guys, i know that FM is not born for this, but could someone point me to a patch of "natural" sounding toms?
I've found patches named "Simmons<something>" which are beautiful but too much electronic.
If it helps to understand what i'd need, i'm trying to make one of that "african-like", "tam-tam" rhytm drummers sometimes do, getting hard-hitten, long-sounding (low) toms.
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Parduz wrote:Guys, i know that FM is not born for this, but could someone point me to a patch of "natural" sounding toms?
I've found patches named "Simmons<something>" which are beautiful but too much electronic.
If it helps to understand what i'd need, i'm trying to make one of that "african-like", "tam-tam" rhytm drummers sometimes do, getting hard-hitten, long-sounding (low) toms.
I don't think that would be too hard... I don't have time now, but can look into it. Meanwhile you could take a look at my kick patch. If you want a more wooden sound, make sure modulating oscillator is tuned to 2x the carrier. Then play with envelope...

Hey guys.

Could anyone tell me how to get a sawtooth style sound out of Dexed? It would be greatly appreciated.

Orboscope wrote:Hey guys.

Could anyone tell me how to get a sawtooth style sound out of Dexed? It would be greatly appreciated.
Check out my patches. I also explained earlier in this thread how I got a pretty good saw on my track. 8 stacked instances of the patch, detuned a bit differently... :)

z.prime wrote:
Orboscope wrote:Hey guys.

Check out my patches. I also explained earlier in this thread how I got a pretty good saw on my track. 8 stacked instances of the patch, detuned a bit differently... :)
Right, right...The multiple instances approach. altough I have to say it sounds a bit scary due to the unstable nature of Dexed, altough sofar I got away without bigger problems.
Anyway, thanks :)

Right, right...The multiple instances approach. altough I have to say it sounds a bit scary due to the unstable nature of Dexed, altough sofar I got away without bigger problems.
Anyway, thanks :)
I thought the same at first, but ended finding that the synth is really quite nice.

The envelopes thew me for several hours, but in the end I was able to make some sounds that fit my idea. Of course, my idea may not be to everyone's liking, bu the synth worked very well for it.

Good luck!

Edited: fixed a stupid spelling error. There are probably still more, but I have not noticed them.
Last edited by GrokSynth on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein

https://soundcloud.com/groksynth

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say I'm planning to submit something for this. It will be my first OSC and I'm looking forward to it (but a bit late). I've been messing around with computer music since the 1980s when I wrote music on the spectrum on Wham! The music box (anyone remember that?) and Ubik's music on C64..

In 90s I wrote some stuff on a strange tracker called Dream Machine , fruity loops, and some other stuff I can't remember now..

Since about 00 I have been only using Linux, and my apps of choice are Renoise and Mixbus. I may not be able to participate in many of these due to difficulties in running win vsts on linux, but this time there is a native solution, so very nice!

My main aim is to force myself to finish some tracks (and learn new techniques from everyone else). FM synthesis seems very daunting but I have managed to tweak some presets so far!!

James

Return to “Instruments”