iLok madness killing my workflow and ears! Why can't we authorize with just a computer?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My ears are bleeding. [ Skip to here @***@ to avoid my rant/story ]

I know this is a pet peeve of many, but now this sh!t is getting serious. I compose on headphones, that I paid a good penny for. I've had a few occasions in the past few months that I open a song in Logic that I haven't worked on for a while. So there are some songs I have that used iLok plugins and other songs that don't. When I open a song, I get the message saying 'no valid license detected. Please connect your eLicenser'. I then hit cancel and it will open the song. Some songs that have eLicenser don't even ask and open right away (such as Vengeance Metrum/Phalanx.). I press play and a BIG F#CKING BUZZSAW blows out at least one of my eardrums and I'm thinking about going to the hospital. This sh%t is no joke. You can totally F up your hearing and I think I might have.

Well, I'm left with this my own problems, why the hell am I being manipulated to buy these damn plugins with iLok. Ironically, my ears are manipulating me. But in reality, it's these plugin companies that use iLok. I plan to write each one individually about changing their policy. We should start a petition to have a lot of people write them together actually.

@***@

So, what is the reason as to why companies have to use an intrusive USB stick instead of just using the computer hard drive as the validation method? As much as I like some of these plugins that use iLok, I can say for a certainty that I choose not to use them that much anymore unless I really need to. These companies I don't think realize this. And I know I can't be the only one that chooses to use these plugins less. But the companies don't notice because they have our money already. The stupid thing is, us customers are paying the price in more ways than one. Why don't the companies 'try' to cater to us, not try to penalize us for other's (illegal downloading) actions.

This will take a while if it's ever going to change, so I'm also wondering if anyone knows of a really small USB iLok I can use, instead of my annoying iLok 2. This thing sticks out too far and I'm afraid I'm going to break it off and possibly mess up my computer. There has to be another way, well, another smaller USB stick I can use. It's so stupid these iLok USB sticks feel like you're wearing handcuffs in a prison cell. I 'possibly' wouldn't mind using a small USB stick like below, as I would just always keep it connected in one of my USB ports. Then some of these issues might be diminished.

But something has to give. iLok is becoming terrible. To make things worse, Audioease Speakerphone 2 used to not require an iLok and now they moved to requiring it. It's so terrible. On the flip side, some other companies 'understand it' and are not not requiring iLok. That's at least a somewhat positive sign, but more companies need to do this. Makes me want to support the companies that are choosing to not use iLok. But the companies that use iLok I don't think see a decrease in sales, because people end up buying their product, even if it does sit unused.

But the companies don't notice because they have our money already.
You can't blame companies which want to earn money, blame naive consuments :smack:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

iLok and eLicenser are different copy protection schemes and not related. So I guess you meant eLicenser is causing the trouble?
No signature here!

i feel for you, but not using a master brickwall limiter and a good DAW (one that mutes sudden huge volume spikes before they get out, like REAPER does) is asking for trouble. so is listening so loud that a loud buzz saw will actually cause your ears bleed. dial down those headphones, you're killing your ears.

that said, the buzz saws in all demo versions must go away forever and die a horrible death.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

yup... not buyin Largo till they make it serial auth.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

sounds like you should just avoid anything with a dongle, problem solved.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Sounds more like a plugin issue, than actually eLicenser or iLok. Make sure that you know which plugin it causes the noise, then file a bug at the developer.

I have two iLoks, one eLicenser and never ever had any issues with opening any session. I think I have to be glad, that I don't use the mentioned plugins ;)
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

You're blaming the iLok for something the plugin did?

Or have we just not had a 'dongles are teh evil' thread this week?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BTW: You can use a hub, instead of plug the iLok/eLicenser directly into the computer.

And second BTW: A lot of iLok (and I think eLicenser) offer you now to place the keys/licenses/whatever on your computer ;)

Third, last but not least BTW: I feel sorry for you, that you cannot solve this problem... ok, that was a little offensive :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Just in case... i either nave an issue with my iLok key...that strangely isn't recognize by two different computers by doesn't seems to be malfunctioning otherwise (the light is glowing as usual) i'm just wondering if there should be another way to solve the problem other than shipping the key to it factory as it would have been broken (as suggested) that likely isn't the case, to get a new one with the authorization transferred ?

I installed the east west installation center, it removed my ghostwriter license.
I paid for that!!!

Doesn't iLok not require a dongle anymore?

arkmabat wrote:Doesn't iLok not require a dongle anymore?
You can lock the license to a computer using iLok manager (if the plugin developer offers this - some don't AFAIK).

It's really not advantageous to do so if you plan to work on multiple computers, especially if in different places.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

It is all your own fault. By buying ilok protected software you agree with their way of doing business.
What happens to licences with pace software when the harddrive crashes? What happens if my ilok usb key gets stolen?

The Pace software (iLok Manager) is easily available through the iLok website.

The plug in the iLok protects may be a different story. That's going to be up to the dev whether or not you can re-download, or up to you whether or not you did a back up of the software.

You lose the iLok, bye bye.... buy a new one ;)

But, your licenses are still protected. You just have to go through hoops to deactivate the previous iLok and transfer the licenses to the new iLok.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Instruments”