Sugar Bytes - Obscurium

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obscurium

Still unable to just play a plugin naturally - tried everything - this needs to be made much simpler. I was hoping to be create evolving sounds with this but it won't let me play anything properly myself and insists on sequencing the notes or chopping them off in some way.

Actually now it won't play any sound at all. Don't tell me the demo has expired already?

Worth checking the beginning of this video since the official videos give almost no good examples of how it can sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNFLC_W1t7A

aMUSEd wrote:Actually now it won't play any sound at all. Don't tell me the demo has expired already?
I found out it just doesn't seem to like attempts at recording it (using Peizo). How can I demonstrate the problem I am having with it if I can't record how it sounds? It's going to time out anyway so at least let people demo it properly without such stupid restrictions as not being able to record output. Just activating the midi only button and reducing the amp env to minimum doesn't allow me to play natural notes - if I do that they just get cut off and don't have vary in pitch - there must be something more if this is possible at all. I could explain this more clearly if you could hear the output though.

aMUSEd wrote:Actually now it won't play any sound at all. Don't tell me the demo has expired already?
the demo times out after a 30 minute session. and also after 30 days.
aMUSEd wrote:
I found out it just doesn't seem to like attempts at recording it (using Peizo). How can I demonstrate the problem I am having with it if I can't record how it sounds? It's going to time out anyway so at least let people demo it properly without such stupid restrictions as not being able to record output.
I have no idea why you're attempting to use something like Peizo, nor why Peizo isn't working for you.
But arming an audio track within the same DAW Obscurium is running and recording/resampling the output of Obscurium is working perfectly fine here.

For the purposes of demonstrating your problem, at least, this seems like a very simple way for you to record and demonstrate the issues you're experiencing.

Because I was just fooling around with the standalone and didn't install the plugin - guess I should do that then - I was more interested in it as a novel host than as a plugin.

Sugar Bytes wrote:go to the PITCH tab and activate the "Midi Only" button.
Its the one with the Midi icon, between scale and chord menu.

plus, put the vertical fader on the AMP ENV tab to the bottom.
So notes will be triggered by midi and not by the trigger sequencer.

then no notes will be generated, only live midi will be played.

best
Rico
OK trying this with a recording to show what is happening:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/564 ... rt%201.mp3

First part just shows how it sounds with the init - you can hear the note being repeated rather than played naturally

second part shows how it sounds with 'midi only' selected - still repeating

third part shows how it sounds with the amp env reduced to 0 as well - no longer being repeated but it is clearly not playing naturally either, most notes are being cutoff.

I adjusted the midi envelope to deal a bit with that third part you listed aMUSED. It's a compromise of sorts but I can't tell if it's a complete solution because...

...for some reason when I hit a chord on the midi keyboard I get varying results. Like sometimes it plays the chord correctly. Other times it will pick and choose which notes to play out of the chord. Other times it won't play anything or even stranger still it will play them when I release the chord instead of when the chord is pressed.

As a side note, the keyboard at the bottom will have notes selected after I have released the notes on the keyboard. In addition it will have several notes marked as the root note.

All of that with midi only selected.

I am version 1.02 standalone, OSX 10.9.5 (cpu i7). I would try it in the vst version but for some reason it won't retain the list of plugins scanned (Live ver 8). It goes thru the list and in the same textbox it will display a message stating that it is "Syncing..." and when it returns control to the gui there are no plugins in the list. Standalone doesn't seem to have this issue. I restarted my machine and got the same results.

I am downloading again to see if its just a bad install.

Re-installation fixed the plugin scanning issue in the vst version. And the vst version does not show the inconsistencies when passing chords into the Obscurium. Standalone had the same issues.

If this was thing does what I think it does, namely automate up to 11 of any synth plugin's parameters, that's a winner in my book. I'm going for the demo.

aMUSEd wrote:Still unable to just play a plugin naturally - tried everything - this needs to be made much simpler. I was hoping to be create evolving sounds with this but it won't let me play anything properly myself and insists on sequencing the notes or chopping them off in some way.
It's not that kind of instrument, though it might be wrangled to be. I haven't spent enough time with it, but it didn't seem like it was designed with that in mind. Check out Mpowersynth (though it's by no means simple, but it can be) for evolving sounds. Or Oxium. Absynth... Zebra, there are so many great software synths for creating long smooth evolving kinds of sounds. Obscurium seems to be best suited for the bleep bloopy.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I checked this out and it does what I was hoping, mainly sequence any parameter in any of your softsynths in fun and interesting ways. I'll have to look and see if you can make the values blend smoothly between values. If not, hopefully they can update this and allow smooth transitions. But this looks like a lot of fun and creative for coming up with sequences.

Must say this is a great composition tool for qwerty keyboarders like myself.

Is the VST plug in feature causing crashes for anyone else? I'm only using the demo, trying to run Reaktor 5 synths in it, and it crashes pretty quick. Seems to mainly do so when I switch presets in Reaktor. Hesitant to buy because of this.

jbw wrote:Must say this is a great composition tool for qwerty keyboarders like myself.

Is the VST plug in feature causing crashes for anyone else? I'm only using the demo, trying to run Reaktor 5 synths in it, and it crashes pretty quick. Seems to mainly do so when I switch presets in Reaktor. Hesitant to buy because of this.
I'm actually surprised they could handle all VSTs, so many of them, so many different behaviors especially with the GUI. Best is to email Sugar Bytes with your findings. Meanwhile you could have fun with other VSTs or the built-in synth.

Pretty cool plugin IMHO, make sure you have the latest update. By the way, for those still on the fence, we're hosting a giveaway right now.

Enter to win 3 copies of Obscurium here

http://audionewsroom.net/2015/08/win-3- ... bytes.html
ANR: reviews, interviews, news
http://audionewsroom.net

Return to “Instruments”