New Xhip alpha

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you have a 64-bit machine using the 64-bit version is definitely the best idea. It runs significantly faster.

I'm not sure what the issue may be with the 32-bit version but I haven't been able to reproduce it with the 64-bit version.

Evidence currently points to an issue with initialization and subsequent buffer overrun.

In any case whatever the issue is it is likely it should also occur just by opening and closing the GUI without the resize.

The only thing that occurs on resize is that the bitmaps are compared to the desired size, if scaled (backgrounds) and if they do not match a resize is applied.

The graphical code has hard-core error checking though, every time a pixel is read or written it is checked that it is in bounds. It is quite unlikely the issue is anything related to the bitmap resize.

I do call host->setsize in the constructor, which is bad, although if the host doesn't deal with that correctly or causes some problem with internal data due to it, that's a host bug. (I've fixed this already.)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Just to confirm what you've said regarding the 64-bit version - running it in Reaper 4.78 64-bit and resizing the GUI doesn't cause any crashes here!
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Supersaw knob has no change to the sound or am I missing something else along the other knobs and settings ?

Saw oscillator becomes supersaw if the width knob is anything other than 50%.
Then the supersaw knob sets it between 2 and 16 saws per oscillator.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

The "supersaw" mode is a dirty hack. In the future I'd like to add an oscillator unison functionality which will apply to all waveforms. This is not a primary focus at the moment though, it's possibly for version 9 or "1.0". The functionality itself is simple in terms of the audio code, mostly this is a GUI layout and parameter issue much like additional waveforms and other functionality.

For now I'm still working on the issue with GUI resize just to get them fixed for now. I think that I've fixed the trouble leading to crashes in the 32-bit version, both are real issues with the resize although very unlikely to occur in the 64-bit version. We won't know if this is actually fixed until it can be tested after I upload a new alpha.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

http://i.imgur.com/d0fOG4x.png

Some progress made. For the controls to actually zoom they need to be in the library of resources in the plugin. Alternatively I can search for files in the skin folders and attempt to load those although that is a bit complex just as far as the bulk of code required.

With the sizes for the current scale settings, the knobs take up 2.5mb.

One thing I've added is that the whole resource system has been upgraded to enable the various sizes of widgets to be visible to the code selecting the right size widget. This also means the zoomed background is cached so there is only a delay the first time it is generated and the cached file can be replaced manually if desired.

Not everything lines up correctly yet, this is just a matter of going through with a fine-tooth comb and correcting the math so it works right with scaling. For example on the flag switch indicators (bottom of the control panel) the text uses a fixed offset rather than being centered vertically in the rectangle of the LED.

hei, my question is related to the pcm function, love it, been creating wavs files ... the thing is i´m using xhip 32 bit, energyxt using wineskin OSX and sometimes when changing the wavs file on pcm , energyxt crash (not always), have any idea if , first,this happens cus im using wineskin ? , second, or maybe a bug with energyxt?, third, or this is something that happens with xhip in any host using windows?

edit-just to be sure, theres no storing of wavs or wav files in host projects right?
thank you , really enjoy this synth!

edit2-just check this under bootcamp and it seems there are crashes too, maybe nothing to do with osx :) and maybe hope to work ok in future releases!??

I have no idea what could lead to a crash when loading PCM, most likely an issue with the files accessed. If this is a problem we'll need to debug it directly in the future.

Normally if any error occurs (the file was inaccessible, bad format, ...) an error message should be generated and printed in the display.

Another possibility is that the mutex doesn't function correctly in the emulation layer you're using.

I don't plan to support such emulation layers, if there is a problem like this that can't be reproduced in Windows directly I'm not much concerned about it.

So you should aim to reproduce the problem directly in Windows. If that can't be done, you'll have to wait for a native OSX port. A VST/AU of Xhip already exists although the GUI has not yet been ported.

When PCM is selected this is represented as an out-of-range parameter. It is possible that your host on OSX may not support parameters out of the 0 - 1 range.

You'll need to be a little more clear whether the problem is with loading PCM, or selecting PCM from the wave menu in the GUI.

"You'll need to be a little more clear whether the problem is with loading PCM, or selecting PCM from the wave menu in the GUI."

hi there, maybe tomorrow or later i will try to reproduce this on my old windows laptop to see better if its an emulation problem or not or a energyxt problem, and the problem i´m having is when loading PCM (but .wavs files ( list of waves)) ,(selecting from wave menu and loading single wav works ok ), seems to happen aleatory and never when i load a .wavs file for the first time, just then when im switching to other .wavs file it crashs, but doesn´t happen ever and works ok for most of the times, till it randomly crach when switching to other wavs file again. And the same .wavs file (list) sometimes works sometimes makes it crash thats why i say seems aleatory or random..

Oh I see, I'll take a look at that code and let you know.

The code relies upon 0A0D newlines and the tokenization routine may fail if supplied with the path strings from OSX, for example.

I'm unable to say for certain without testing it myself.

I've upgraded the code slightly.

https://soundcloud.com/xhip/delivery

There was a bug related to automatic copy constructors applying to template objects that drove me nuts for a while, I thought it was a compiler bug although the logic of the thing is so complicated I'm not sure if it was a bug or not. In any case I've fixed it now by using explicit copy constructors in a few additional places.

Anyway I put my newer tokenizer in place of the old code and it seems to work with unix/dos/mac line endings now. Those are 0D, 0A and 0D0A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline

The skin data now includes a heck of a lot of extra bitmaps and so the files are much, much larger.

Still some issues with resize although it shouldn't crash anymore.

You can get those (r620) on the alpha page now.

Thanks for the bug reports!

If the wavs files don't load correctly on OSX now I'm not certain what the cause may be, I'm hoping it was simply the line endings and tokenization routine.

https://soundcloud.com/xhip/this-is-a-jhip

Beware of PCM + xmod.

Hi,
I'm afraid no good news regarding this crashes loading pcm lists, i tried this last alpha and crashes still happen here and there with files that sometimes work.
I also check this in a windows vista an a xp systems, in both im having crashes too when switching from a
.wavs file list to another.
I created new .wav lists in window systems , some with 20 other with 80 samples..but saw no relation to the number of samples used and crashes, also tried with just .wav lists that successful loaded all files, no luck, at 3 or 4 or 5 ..time switching it crashes.
I also tried in mulab demo besides energyxt, the results were similar.
Thanks

The code does the following:

1) clear all samples
2) tokenize file
3) load tokens

If the audio engine is not paused by the mutex during this process it will lead to a crash.

If this bug continues after this (r621) fixed version I'll need you to compress the files you're using and upload and link them for me to test.

I also need exact instructions to reproduce the crash.

For example:
1) Load example.wavs
2) Load example2.wavs - crash or repeat to 1

I know that you are playing the samples while loading them. This leads to a crash because the sample is erased while it is still being used.

I've updated the alpha page. Get r621 which now locks the audio thread before modifying the list of waves.

hei man, sorry for the delay, been away. Hmmmm before you get even more into coding search for bugs or something maybe better i try here organizing well all this folders where i have the .wav lists, see if theres no 24 bit file there , see if all files are loaded well in all listes, try to see if working with just small 10 or 20 samples in any list (is there a limit? i put a limit to 80 samples maybe that´s too much), or maybe just work with small size samples, just to try to find a pattern.

I just don´t want to make you lose time for something that maybe just happen here in my systems, the windows pcs i have are old and don´t know if i can trust them and my main machine is OSX(using wineskin).

I could upload some files but this seems pretty random, for example i picked a folder , saw if all files were good , created lists, and everything was working fine, i switch lists maybe 20 times , no crash, tried it again, no crash, again , no crash.. tried again, second time crashed, the same files, sometimes work , sometimes not. So i think its pointless i upload files, if it is working well there on your systems it will work ok too with files i could upload. (and the "crash process" is like you said "For example: 1) Load example.wavs 2) Load example2.wavs - crash or repeat to 1")

Is someone there that works with pcm lists too? can you tell if its working ok for you, switching lists? cus ..again i really don´t want to make the developer lose time with something that maybe is because i´m on osx and my windows systems are old/unstable.

thanks.

Return to “Instruments”