Daftest synth plugin press release blurb ever?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aciddose wrote:Woosh.
Thanks. But I'm fully stocked up on risers.

Did you read the blurb section I added to the Xhip page? My "explanation" was a joke. I called myself an idiot. I claimed that squid are way more awesome than jellyfish, which any "idiot" should know, "proven" (once and for all beyond any shred of doubt) by the fact that one idiot (myself) does "know" this. (The last item on the list was supposed to act as a smiley or a sarcasm tag.)

Also it has XQUID EMULATION TECHNOLOGY which is rad. If you didn't appreciate the joke then say so, if you did then perhaps whoosh on my part since I have no idea what you're getting at.

Further proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCm__345nSU
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:Did you read the blurb section I added to the Xhip page?
I hadn't got that far, just the initial explanation about why companies do it. Sorry for not replying in the spirit in which it was meant.

I do take your critique to heart though, I'm not going to brush it off.

The problem I face is that when I'm more brief I have a lot of trouble with people misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. Social ineptitude perhaps, certainly a significant shortcoming I suffer from. When I go on to explain everything it can end up being offensive of course which although generally unintentional I certainly don't expend much effort attempting to avoid. I've tried to improve here but this is I suppose simply a talent I don't have a knack for.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

It's times like these that I am grateful that I have a very simple mind.

All this terminology gives me a headache. 0df? I couldn't tell the difference if you hit me over the head with it. In fact, I can't tell the difference in sound between most analog hardware and software synth emulations. To my typical "dude on the street just wanting to listen to some music" ears, it's all the same to me unless we're talking about really cheaply made synths that sound so thin and weak next to very expensive synths that are "fat" as can be. But most of your "average" synths, to my ears anyway, show no noticeable difference as far as sound quality. So when I start seeing things from Tone 2 like "our sawtooth...their sawtooth" I just want to take an aspirin.

They say ignorance is bliss.

Maybe in my case, they're right.

If a synth sounds good to my ears, I buy it. If it doesn't, I don't.

It makes life really easy.

Well of course, so that's why developers take advantage of the effects of subjective judgement bias. They try to manipulate your bias to make you perceive the product as subjectively better by feeding you a whole load of bullshit in their marketing and it works because most people don't have the desire to question that bullshit.

http://goldberg.berkeley.edu/courses/S0 ... ssion1.doc
The results of these studies show that consumers have difficulty in discriminating between sodas and do not show consistent preferences in blind taste tests. Moreover, consumers report a higher confidence in their judgment than is warranted by their actual ability to discriminate or report a consistent preference.
Have you read these sort of studies? They're very old at this point. What you can do is have three of the same cola (some unknown brand) and three branded containers. One container "coke", one "pepsi", one blank.

In these tests it is demonstrated that:
  • The result of blind tests (even on actual coke, pepsi, etc) is variable (large random chance, unreliable, between similar things completely random)
  • In the "rigged" tests with the same cola, a brand preference dominates
  • In combination tests where content/branding is randomized, again the ability to discriminate between products is near nil while brand loyalty is dominant.

aciddose wrote:Well of course, so that's why developers take advantage of the effects of subjective judgement bias. They try to manipulate your bias to make you perceive the product as subjectively better by feeding you a whole load of bullshit in their marketing and it works because most people don't have the desire to question that bullshit.

http://goldberg.berkeley.edu/courses/S0 ... ssion1.doc
The results of these studies show that consumers have difficulty in discriminating between sodas and do not show consistent preferences in blind taste tests. Moreover, consumers report a higher confidence in their judgment than is warranted by their actual ability to discriminate or report a consistent preference.
Because I was such a huge soda drinker as a teen, I could tell the difference between coke and pepsi. Coke had a very metallic taste, especially after the formula change to New Coke and then back to Coke Classic, that I didn't like at all. Pepsi had a more mellow and sweeter taste.

Today, having not drank soda in a good 10 years at least, I probably would have a hard time differentiating one from another because any kind of sugar today is just sickening to me.

But make no mistake about it. If you handed me a coke, I knew it, especially in the 90s. God awful soda.

Now, the 60s coke, when I had my tonsils out...that was amazing soda. It never tasted the same after they removed whatever it was they removed from it.

But synths? Forget it. Very few really have a distinct sound that I can pick out from a crowd.

Have you read these sort of studies? They're very old at this point. What you can do is have three of the same cola (some unknown brand) and three branded containers. One container "coke", one "pepsi", one blank.

In these tests it is demonstrated that:
  • The result of blind tests (even on actual coke, pepsi, etc) is variable (large random chance, unreliable, between similar things completely random)
  • In the "rigged" tests with the same cola, a brand preference dominates
  • In combination tests where content/branding is randomized, again the ability to discriminate between products is near nil while brand loyalty is dominant.

Are we talking about the new Carbon Electra synth here, why is it such a subjective synth?
Carbon Electra is a powerful and intuitive synth built by producers, for producers. It’s a four-oscillator subjective synth with a modern feature set. It has been developed as an advanced learning tool whilst also being a powerful and easy to program synth. Being based on vintage analogue routing and featuring flexible modulation options including an editable stepper and note performer.

Saw this, but initially thought it was a cheap shot. It's obviously a language barrier thing, but, on the other hand, if you're gonna market something... do it right, dammit! Have someone proofread, preferably not a 3-year-old monkey.

Love the "vintage analogue routing", though! Damn, my other synths don't have that. I've got a vintage analogue routing gap now.

re: carbon electra,

I don't think it's all that bad. The only bit I'd honestly say is "weird" is the "physics based" part. No idea how they came up with that one.

Everything else is entirely valid really... I mean "easy to use" is subjective, but compared to what? If you're comparing a basic synth like this to a huge modular one I think the statement is spot-on, entirely accurate.

Everything else has a bit of subjectivity, of course they're going to say "it sounds good", what would they say otherwise? "It sounds." :) That would be almost as bad as "It has effects", "both usable AND useful!" :hihi:
wagtunes wrote: Today, having not drank soda in a good 10 years at least, I probably would have a hard time differentiating one from another because any kind of sugar today is just sickening to me.

But make no mistake about it. If you handed me a coke, I knew it, especially in the 90s. God awful soda.

Now, the 60s coke, when I had my tonsils out...that was amazing soda. It never tasted the same after they removed whatever it was they removed from it.

But synths? Forget it. Very few really have a distinct sound that I can pick out from a crowd.
I agree all around.

One thing you might be interested in though is, have you ever been to the tropics? Say Belize or Philippines? They use the original recipes and real sugar there (I guess it depends upon brand and location), it tastes so damn good I couldn't believe it. It really demonstrated to me how bad we have it here in the "distant north". Although comparing to various colas with real kola nuts and sugar vs coke with its artificial flavor and caffeine from decaffeinated coffee beans, corn syrup for sweetness I'd say you can certainly tell the difference if you care enough to pay attention.

You might want to try some of the "craft soda" available these days. See if you can find one with real kola nuts. You should notice rather than just the weird "like coke" flavor it really has a unique nutty flavor something like a cross between walnut with less bitter and a richer flavored pistachio.

Synthesizers these days, absolutely. It isn't usually about the unique properties/sound that really interest me, it's the unique &@$%ing annoying issues that bother me and make me want to avoid most plugins. Too much CPU, aliasing, weirdly laid out, poor selection of features, weird implementation rather than standard and so on.

aciddose wrote:re: carbon electra,

I don't think it's all that bad. The only bit I'd honestly say is "weird" is the "physics based" part. No idea how they came up with that one.

Everything else is entirely valid really... I mean "easy to use" is subjective, but compared to what? If you're comparing a basic synth like this to a huge modular one I think the statement is spot-on, entirely accurate.

Everything else has a bit of subjectivity, of course they're going to say "it sounds good", what would they say otherwise? "It sounds." :) That would be almost as bad as "It has effects", "both usable AND useful!" :hihi:
wagtunes wrote: Today, having not drank soda in a good 10 years at least, I probably would have a hard time differentiating one from another because any kind of sugar today is just sickening to me.

I agree all around.

One thing you might be interested in though is, have you ever been to the tropics? Say Belize or Philippines? They use the original recipes and real sugar there (I guess it depends upon brand and location), it tastes so damn good I couldn't believe it. It really demonstrated to me how bad we have it here in the "distant north". Although comparing to various colas with real kola nuts and sugar vs coke with its artificial flavor and caffeine from decaffeinated coffee beans, corn syrup for sweetness I'd say you can certainly tell the difference if you care enough to pay attention.

You might want to try some of the "craft soda" available these days. See if you can find one with real kola nuts. You should notice rather than just the weird "like coke" flavor it really has a unique nutty flavor something like a cross between walnut with less bitter and a richer flavored pistachio.

Synthesizers these days, absolutely. It isn't usually about the unique properties/sound that really interest me, it's the unique &@$%ing annoying issues that bother me and make me want to avoid most plugins. Too much CPU, aliasing, weirdly laid out, poor selection of features, weird implementation rather than standard and so on.
Well, I'm probably not quite as hard to please in regard to soft synths as you are, though I am getting a little more picky as so many just seem to sound the same.

My personal favorites (most of these are unique in some way)

Zebra 2
Dune 2
Synthmaster 2
Omnisphere 2
Serum
Bazille
Syn'X 2
The Mangle
MUX Modular
Sonigen Modular
KarmaFX Modular

It may seem like a lot but out of over 100 soft synths that I own, it's not.

I can't do it on request, but sometimes I've been able to name the VST effect someone was using on an element of their track, surprising the both of us. Not intended as a brag, and obviously things like pitch-shifters and distortions with extreme settings are easier to identify than, say, a subtle chorus - but I think VST synths and effects have more individuality than the homogenous blob of the web would have it seem (doesn't it just make everything feel like it's merging into one thing? Is that just me?). Sometimes that individuality is for all the wrong reasons, but it can be there :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:sometimes I've been able to name the VST effect someone was using on an element of their track, surprising the both of us. Not intended as a brag
Indeed :o That's like Rainman abilities innit

:neutral:
:borg:

edit: aw no more trailor park comment?
Last edited by aciddose on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”