Logic ES2 vs Sylenth1?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
recursive one wrote:I found that for some kinds of psytrance-specific sounds I prefer Sylenth over Spire. It sounds fatter and warmer, and the filter with it's charateristic squelchy resonance is very good for acidic sequences (remember arp303 saw? I tried to recreate this in Spire but it is not quite there)
It might have to do with the filter resonance in Spire. That's the one thing i dislike about it, when you turn up the resonance, it could sound more pleasing, and also get wilder. The filters are pretty great, except for this one thing. Sylenth1 not only gets more "self-resonating" when you turn up the resonance, it also sounds more pleasing.
Pretty much this ( I understand that you mean Sylenth filer sounding more pleasing and at the same time more "wild" with cranked up resonance) and also the filter drive. Spire badly needs a proper controllable filter drive/saturation
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Stupid question, i know, but doesn't the "shape" section provide that? Or is there a difference between filter drive, and driving/saturating the whole signal?

chk071 wrote:Stupid question, i know, but doesn't the "shape" section provide that? Or is there a difference between filter drive, and driving/saturating the whole signal?
To my undertsanding, filter drive saturates the oscillator signal when it enters the filter, and "shape" saturates or distorts the singal already affected by the filter. E.g. in Virus you may apply the same kind of saturation pre- or post filter and it sounds differently.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I see. I might have to try that on a synth which allows pre- and post-filter saturation, and hear what's different.

I wonder if the Spire devs are aware of this feature request.

chk071 wrote:
Ulysses65 wrote:My English is really bad ... I am grateful to members of this forum for understanding and help in correcting my mistakes :-)
Alright. :) Also excuse my a bit harsh reply, i didn't mean no offense, i simply thought you had asked how to make any of those sounds, while you really meant how people like those sounds. My bad.
Everything is fine. No offense. I will try to more accurately express their thoughts. :-)

All in all, it's good to have such an gem (ES2) among other stock stuff, it can slow the GAS flow significantly. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Hundreds of presets for Logic's ES2 from New Age Hippies. :clap:

https://www.audiobombs.com/items/738/logic-es2-presets
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Buy ES2 and get a hell of a lot of other cool stuff, for free :tu:

Lol.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I don’t have ES2 but I still find myself choosing the Sylenth sound I get over my other synths (Legend, Spire, Repro, Avenger) more often than not.

Zexila wrote:Hundreds of presets for Logic's ES2 from New Age Hippies. :clap:

https://www.audiobombs.com/items/738/logic-es2-presets

Nice!!! Thanks for the link.

Necro thread but Alchemy is included in Logic now and can compete with just about any third party synth.

kuniklo wrote:Necro thread but Alchemy is included in Logic now and can compete with just about any third party synth.
Not in every area of course but it´s also better in some cases than any third party synth (f.e. no synth has this nice mod FX and morphing like Alchemy can do).
It´s for sure in it´s own class. Like Sculpture as well.
Plus tons of other very good stuff like Delay Designer, Space Designer, the new ChromaVerb and a million other things.
Logic Pro X is just the best bang for buck (beside freeware) i ever could imagine.
Oh and i like ES2 much more than the RetroSynth. ES2 is one of the fattest sounding synths in unison mode. It really has bite. With some better FX it can compete to all similar third party synths as well.
Logic is now so good that i don´t see a reason to buy anything else anymore beside sample libraries or some really super great and/or unique synths.

Return to “Instruments”