Virtual drums..please help!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI I'm looking to buy a virtual drumkit for my husband. I have no idea where to begin. Any advice on which is the best?

He likes jam band music, jazz, blues, rock etc.
Favorite bands include phish, greatful dead, Frank zappa, some electronic jam bands like the new deal, disco biscuits etc. But I think his music he makes is more influenced by jam bands.

He plays guitar for over 10 years. He has a drummer who is so flaky and never can play. He creates his own music. Anyways, anyone have any tips or which one is the best?? I need help please! ! Tia! :)

You need to give a bit more technical detail...
What does your husband use to create his own music? PC? Mac? Does he use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)?
What's your budget?

The majority of virtual drums are plugins, which require a daw to work.

My favourite is JamStix (about $100-$130).

Which is best is a bit subjective, everyone has their own. Also, a few of them are download-only, so require a fast internet connection.

Good luck!

PS I wish my other half would buy me something for my "studio"... :D

Hahaha! Thank you.

He will be using a PC and we do have fast Internet access. Budget under 400 or 300? Great if it's less but that's max for now. Looks like maybe it will be less?

I'm also looking for one that's not for electronic music beats.

i would definitely suggest ez drummer 2 from toontrack. it's got really great sounds, comes with lots of ready-made grooves you can play along to and is fairly easy to use (well, the name wouldn't make much sense if it was overly complicated ;) ). plus it comes in all major plugin formats as well as a stand-alone version, which is great because you can just fire it up any time and don't have to wait for a host software to start up. in terms of value for money (and usability too) i don't know any better solution - but maybe some other members will come up with other good suggestions too :)

I've been playing the guitar as well for years and already loved the original ez drummer, and the successor is even better :tu:

you can have a look at the software here: https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/

and since this is a present you might want to actually "give" to your husband i guess, it might be worth noting that there's also a boxed version (with disc) available.

btw - i'm always happy to see someone really caring about his or her partner and trying to find a gift that he or she would really be happy about! wishing you too all the best :)

The two best I've come across so far are Toontrack's SD2 (superior drummer 2) or FXpansion's BFD 3.

They are excellent for your needs. The basics are easy(ish) to grasp, but you can go way deeper if you wanted in the future (or your husband can I should say).

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=205

https://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-2/

There is a 'lite' version of Superior Drummer 2, called EZ drummer.

https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/

All these have loads of 'add ons' like kits and beats, etc. But all of them have pretty much everything you need from the off. :)

PS - SD2 is on sale at around 180.00e
Last edited by Robmobius on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I'd go for Toontrack EZDrummer2.

They have a whole range of drum styles covering many genres.

Send a sales enquiry to Toontrack themselves to get advice.

Then come back to us so we can tell you where to shop online for the best prices.

http://www.toontrack.com/

And Google youtube ezdrummer2.

JamStix is ... eh ... esoteric.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Someone beat me to it so, I can only emphasize that based on your description, you can't go wrong with ezdrummer 2.
https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/
You will also have the possibility to add for example a jazz kit with grooves within the budget.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Bioethical Genome Modification.

Thanks guys!! I was worried I wasn't even going to get a response.. you guys rock! I'll def look up these. Seems like ez drummer is a good bet. Thanks you all!!

The ez drummer, can you create yor own beats completely? Or is the snare, base,etc all in a beat and you can't mix them?

Google 'youtube ezdrummer2' :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I always thought air music technology strike 2 looked really interesting for this kind of thing.

Abrit023 wrote:The ez drummer, can you create yor own beats completely?
Yes.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Bioethical Genome Modification.

Abrit023 wrote:Thanks guys!! I was worried I wasn't even going to get a response.. you guys rock! I'll def look up these. Seems like ez drummer is a good bet. Thanks you all!!

The ez drummer, can you create yor own beats completely? Or is the snare, base,etc all in a beat and you can't mix them?
Yep! No problem. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Quick question..
He has the PreSonus Studio One software already. Can any of these drumkits import the beats into studio one? Maybe the ezdrummer?

Abrit023 wrote:Quick question..
He has the PreSonus Studio One software already. Can any of these drumkits import the beats into studio one? Maybe the ezdrummer?
His workflow won´t change that much. He can use ezdrummer within Studio One. But also standalone which sometimes is faster if some one needs to lay down some ideas quickly.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Thank you!! That's perfect

Return to “Instruments”