Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

masterhiggins
KVRAF

1674 posts since 30 Dec, 2004, from People's Republic of Minnesota

Postby masterhiggins; Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

Post some more examples, but mix a and b up. I wonder if some of the diehard analogue hardware enthusiasts will make an appearance in this thread after that. :hihi:
2ZrgE
KVRian

1127 posts since 30 Mar, 2011

Postby 2ZrgE; Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:16 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

IncarnateX wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:In a way completely useless because with a simple A/B test you could be right just be guessing.

Sure with only two choices a hit could be pure chance. However, a miss by an analog preacher man could still be embarrasing :hihi:

Trust me, they'll find their excuses. :D
GHOST19
KVRist

486 posts since 18 Jul, 2006

Postby GHOST19; Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:19 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

Difficult to say. I reckon it's a trap and Diva is A (more crisp and bright) in the first video and B in the second (A envelopes sound more analogue to me).
fischkopf
KVRist

256 posts since 18 Oct, 2008

Postby fischkopf; Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:29 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

Synth A sounds much warmer to my ears, I think it's the hardware synth.
Elektronisch
KVRAF

1532 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Postby Elektronisch; Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:49 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

A is Oberheim
B is Diva

A sounds a bit more sturdy and robust, wich is a characteristics that hardware (mostly analog) exhibits. B feels a bit washed out comparing to A (this is characteristic that most plugin synth exhibits).
Synthetic Wav
KVRist

406 posts since 27 Feb, 2014, from France

Postby Synthetic Wav; Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:55 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

i have diva but i m not familiar enought to know if the envelop can be clicky like in synth B ?
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21370 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:55 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

Ooooh look .... another pointless digital vs analog "which sounds better" thread.
zerocrossing
KVRAF

9071 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:26 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

chk071 wrote:The Beatles. 'nuff said. :hihi:
</thread>

:lol:

But I'm going to say the real synth is A, Diva is B.

One thing that confused me a bit is that I thought in some of the examples the envelopes in B made me think B was the hardware. Envelopes are usually a "tell" for me in these tests, but I thought the "body" of B was mushy and less distinct. But what the hell, I'll go with my initial answer.

BUT. I will also say that typical bread and butter sounds like this are in the overlap of what software and hardware both do well. Tests like this are a bit self selecting. It would be pretty easy to find the places where software failed and do the same test and we'd all know the answer. It's why I maintain that a hybrid approach is the way to go. Softsynths for what they do fine and for when you need a little extra oomph, whip out the analog.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
Ingonator
KVRAF

11583 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:26 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

It's not easy indeed while i own Diva myself and have done some "Oberheimish" sounds with it too (and others like e.g. Jupiter 8 etc.). Also got a real analog Pulse 2 here (my ownly remaining real nalog) and a few Oberheim emulations (e.g. the free OBXD and Arturia Oberheim SEM V).

Anyway my guess is that Synth A is a real OB8 and B is Diva whie i am not totally sure.

At the end Diva seems to be a fantastic emulation of analog synths and it's more or less modular approach with mixing modules of different synth is awesome IMO and makes it impossible to replace it by another softsynth.
I hope i could finally get a new PC soon to replace the current one so i could use DIVA at full quality without being limited to a few tracks.

PS:
DIVA doe not seem to include any modules that directly emulate an OB8 and the "Uhbie" filter seems to be closer to a SEM design. This means taht if you are able to match teh sounds of a OB8 it could be a cmbination of both luck and good sound design skills. :)
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Repro-5, VC 6, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Bitwig 2 / Studio One 3
wagtunes
KVRAF

9614 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:29 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

zerocrossing wrote:
chk071 wrote:The Beatles. 'nuff said. :hihi:
</thread>

:lol:

But I'm going to say the real synth is A, Diva is B.

One thing that confused me a bit is that I thought in some of the examples the envelopes in B made me think B was the hardware. Envelopes are usually a "tell" for me in these tests, but I thought the "body" of B was mushy and less distinct. But what the hell, I'll go with my initial answer.

BUT. I will also say that typical bread and butter sounds like this are in the overlap of what software and hardware both do well. Tests like this are a bit self selecting. It would be pretty easy to find the places where software failed and do the same test and we'd all know the answer. It's why I maintain that a hybrid approach is the way to go. Softsynths for what they do fine and for when you need a little extra oomph, whip out the analog.

Well then let me ask. What are the kinds of sounds that soft synths don't do well? Can you post some examples? And then, after that's done, maybe the OP can program those two sounds (assuming he has the hardware synth that made it) and then we can really tell.
SWAN808
KVRAF

1649 posts since 28 Dec, 2007

Postby SWAN808; Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

zerocrossing wrote:It would be pretty easy to find the places where software failed and do the same test and we'd all know the answer.

With Diva - what are these places it fails? Ive tested I think most extremes I can with an OB8 and Source....there are Unison examples here (which often fail in other softsynths) and full/very high resonance...
Analogue Hits for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

10118 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:38 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

So, when will we know the answer? 8)

Seems that so far most people think A is the hardware...
SWAN808
KVRAF

1649 posts since 28 Dec, 2007

Postby SWAN808; Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

if its ok Id like to keep it open at least for a few days to let people see it...but not past the point it becomes boring and everyone forgets...
Analogue Hits for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/
Synthetic Wav
KVRist

406 posts since 27 Feb, 2014, from France

Postby Synthetic Wav; Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:28 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

my problems with these tests is that you try to make both sound the same..a test where you try to show where they behave differelenty would more intresting and usefull to get better emulation, these test are fun but don't mean much . a freeware compressor could sound really close to a 3000 $$ one too if you really wanna match the sound insteed of demonstrating the difference.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

5012 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:48 am Re: Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

I was hearing a little bit more top end and reverb in A versus B. If I had to guess: A is DIVA, B is hardware. Not sure I care though. So biggest difference: A felt consistently brighter in the first video than B, which I preferred. They're certainly close enough.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments