Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

What's up at Plogue?

mcbpete
KVRian

622 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:18 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

Yeah it was just a zip full of goodies and you had to manually copy all the folders/files to the right place.
I'm wondering if author of Daisy has re-licensed their project to some other development and thus the copyright/license agreement has now gone a bit wonky ! Be interesting to see where Daisy ends up ...
Aloysius
KVRAF

20163 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:58 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

I can't resist any longer. My apologies in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84XcZM0IKvU

All together now.
One mans trash is another mans rubbish.
sqigls
KVRAF

2159 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:03 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

HA!
this is the very song that made me hate guitar until my late teens.
long story
my dear Nanna would be spittin in her mic over this knee wobbler.
Sing a friggin long now...
Aloysius
KVRAF

20163 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:04 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

:lol:
One mans trash is another mans rubbish.
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

20836 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:09 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

Dip200
KVRist

104 posts since 9 Jun, 2012

Postby Dip200; Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:05 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

Daisy is gone ? Without any explanation ?

What kind of unprofessional action is that ? That's ridiculous and a reason to never buy from your company again.

What about support ? What about copyright issues ?

And what the f**k does this idiot author think he will achieve with this ?
mcbpete
KVRian

622 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:50 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

Dip200 wrote:What kind of unprofessional action is that ? That's ridiculous and a reason to never buy from your company again.
You do know Alter/Ego is completely free right ?!
SeeingInMidi
KVRist

239 posts since 1 Aug, 2013

Postby SeeingInMidi; Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:50 pm Re: What's up at Plogue?

mcbpete wrote:
Dip200 wrote:What kind of unprofessional action is that ? That's ridiculous and a reason to never buy from your company again.

Hahaha :lol:
thomekk
KVRAF

2368 posts since 3 May, 2003, from Germany

Postby thomekk; Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:15 pm Re: What's up at Plogue?

Aloysius wrote:I can't resist any longer. My apologies in advance.

All together now.

:lol:

PS:
If anyone misses the old daisy, it's still available through the wayback-machine..
Dip200
KVRist

Postby Dip200; Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:16 pm Re: What's up at Plogue?

mcbpete wrote:

Absolutely. And I even knew that somone very "smart" would come up with this. Here is the thing: If you release software you have responsibility eespecially as commercial "professional" company. You can't just release something, make people get used to it and rely on it to some extent and remove it even if it is free. That's extremely lame. By the way, you can use Daisy in Chipsspeech which is commercial. Also, Daisy was in some sense a promotion tool both for the 21 year old cosplayer who "made" Daisy and Plogue.

What a difference: Universal Audio updating skins for a plugin over a decade old and plogue removing a a soundbank by a kid who can't even afford a real website.
Last edited by Dip200 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guenon
KVRian

955 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Postby Guenon; Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:00 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

My two cents, I always thought the voice license was somewhat weird, or vaguely restrictive, and figured it must be something that was explicitly wished by the 3rd party maker(s) of the voice data, not by Plogue themselves.

It would be nice to know better what happened, but then again, given the license I was hesitant to think of this as something I'd use in production even if the need arises. Like, the principle of the thing. Might be a common thing with virtual singer products? Specifically, I mean the way the license prohibits using it for lyrics that are "against public policy" or "otherwise objectionable" and so on. That's so vague and such a slippery slope, especially from an artistic/creative viewpoint.
.jon
KVRAF

5204 posts since 8 Jul, 2002, from Helsinki

Postby .jon; Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:13 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

Dip200 wrote:Daisy is gone ? Without any explanation ?

What kind of unprofessional action is that ? That's ridiculous and a reason to never buy from your company again.

What about support ? What about copyright issues ?

And what the f**k does this idiot author think he will achieve with this ?

Dude, it's just no longer available for download. The contract you made with the copyright holder is still valid, and it never included any transfer of copyright or support.
Thanks KVR 2002-2017. Remember the music.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

24960 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:26 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

Dip200 wrote:If you release software you have responsibility eespecially as commercial "professional" company. You can't just release something, make people get used to it and rely on it to some extent and remove it even if it is free. That's extremely lame.

If you release someone else's work, you have responsibility especially as commercial "professional" company. You can't just continue to indefinitely redistribute something you licensed when the permission to do so has been revoked. When you release something that is not under your own copyright, you may have to stop redistributing it, even if it is free. Not doing so is extremely illegal.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
Spitfire31
KVRAF

2613 posts since 18 May, 2003, from Sweden

Postby Spitfire31; Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:19 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

Maybe the guy who created Daisy had a good listen to Alys and decided, 'I can do better than lil' Daisy.'

The difference between the two ladies isn't insignificant, and that's a massive understatement. Of course, there's a price difference as well.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!
Dip200
KVRist

Postby Dip200; Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am Re: What's up at Plogue?

I agree Spitfire but Alys sings only french and japanese. So there is still room for Daisy. I'm quite happy with her voice. (I'm not looking for as realistic as possible). Imo it's good promotion for C. Miller but I'm not a "hardcore member" of the virtual singer scene and don't know what they accept and not. I think most people there want the voices to be as realistic as possible. I remember negative comments towards Chipsspeech by Vocaloid fans which I found ridiculous but anyways...

I hope Daisy will work with future versions of Chipspeech and Alter Ego. Because it's likely there will be good reasons to update the programs in the future (new features, support for OS, DAW, bugfixes and whatnot). And then I would like to be able to still use Daisy and recall and edit older sessions.

It would be nice if Plogue could say something about this and possible copyright concerns (i.e. can I continue to use it (I think yes)) and why Mr. Miller wanted to pack to be removed.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments