One Synth Challenge #80: MUX by MuTools (Voting Over, preliminary results in)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab App MuLab Plugin

Oh, about the prize, I'm still thinking a bit. But is the synthmaster still available? Also, I noticed there are 5 copies of Mulab and Mutools, does that mean all the top 5 get a copy? I'll decide shortly -- once I get some free time to think :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:Oh, about the prize, I'm still thinking a bit. But is the synthmaster still available? Also, I noticed there are 5 copies of Mulab and Mutools, does that mean all the top 5 get a copy? I'll decide shortly -- once I get some free time to think :D
Synthmaster is still available! Or you can choose the MuTools bundle :)

However... there are some new developments - Mello has run out, so Taron will need to choose something new.

Instead of Mello, JRR Shop is offering this:
SONiVOX Pulse
SONiVOX Wobble
SONiVOX Twist

SONiVOX Twist
I'll try that! :)

Well I'm a bit late to get here, but the usual congrats to winners and all participants, great stuff this month (not that there's ever a month full of bad stuff). MUX was super fun, I'm gonna have to put that on my list of stuff to get when extra money comes my way.

See you all next month, and don't worry, this time I won't be trying to make your eardrums bleed :ud:

Tjgoa wrote:Oh, about the prize, I'm still thinking a bit. But is the synthmaster still available? Also, I noticed there are 5 copies of Mulab and Mutools, does that mean all the top 5 get a copy? I'll decide shortly -- once I get some free time to think :D
Just a heads up that Synthmaster might take a while to get, I've been waiting 2 months now.

Oh yes, that did take forever. And, really, at the end I'm not really all that impressed with it. But that's just me. :shrug:

Taron wrote:Oh yes, that did take forever. And, really, at the end I'm not really all that impressed with it. But that's just me. :shrug:
Okay yeah, I'm feeling the MUX abstinence much more than wanting the SM after this OSC.

Taron wrote:Oh yes, that did take forever. And, really, at the end I'm not really all that impressed with it. But that's just me. :shrug:

Know what? Synthmaster is really great if you take the time to dig into it.

Here's a track that I did for their current song contest complete with Vocaloid vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... test-entry

Cute track! But...it really doesn't change my view of it whatsoever. It's the plastic in its very core that just bores me. But there were other troubles with it, something I can't remember right now, but it was a technicality of some kind. Doesn't matter, I just find nothing "special" about it on the upside. I've had plenty more fun with many of the free synths, you know. But, again, that's just me. ;)

Taron wrote:Cute track! But...it really doesn't change my view of it whatsoever. It's the plastic in its very core that just bores me. But there were other troubles with it, something I can't remember right now, but it was a technicality of some kind. Doesn't matter, I just find nothing "special" about it on the upside. I've had plenty more fun with many of the free synths, you know. But, again, that's just me. ;)
You're probably referring to the loss of factory samples that require you to delete the temp file to get them back. Very annoying. Hopefully, it will be fixed in 3.0.

Now, if you want to talk about "plastic" sounds, Tone2 has SM beat by a mile and a half. Not that I don't love the Tone2 sound. But THAT is plastic.

Oh, hahaha, nah, I didn't even know about that bug?! :D :P
I think, it might've had something to do with polyphony or clicks or the likes...I just forgot what it was, but it "underwhelmed" me a little, you know.
I don't think I've played with tone2, have I? The name is known to me for sure.
But, take something like Charlatan, for example, which is really crude and simple, but you can get some exciting stuff out of it without it being cocky about it, you know...hmmm...maybe I just like the "underdog". Anyway, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and am wrapping up my first vst myself, haha. That'll be bitter, I'm afraid, but well...I'm having a blast! 8-)

Taron wrote:Oh, hahaha, nah, I didn't even know about that bug?! :D :P
I think, it might've had something to do with polyphony or clicks or the likes...I just forgot what it was, but it "underwhelmed" me a little, you know.
I don't think I've played with tone2, have I? The name is known to me for sure.
But, take something like Charlatan, for example, which is really crude and simple, but you can get some exciting stuff out of it without it being cocky about it, you know...hmmm...maybe I just like the "underdog". Anyway, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and am wrapping up my first vst myself, haha. That'll be bitter, I'm afraid, but well...I'm having a blast! 8-)
I can't imagine you having anything but a blast. You're a breath of fresh air around this sometimes stuffy place.

Yeah, I have to second that SM is a very capable synth. It sounds amazing but always seems to take a bit of extra work to get it there. I know what you mean about the "plastic" sound, but trust me when I say there's a lot more in there. The multitudes of places you can add distortion end up adding a lot of life to the sounds.

Did you check out the synth master osc tracks? https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/os ... ynthmaster

Yeah, that is what got me excited about it in the first place, but than Jasinski and you are both some crazy-ass-magicians with mix and labor, haha, coaxing something stunning out of anything, I think. Underneath it I can still hear that peculiar lack of sorts, a certain sterility which one can't polish over. It's stale somehow, almost lifeless I would say. Yes, with the thrown kitchen-sink included, marvelous events can happen, but that's about as fascinating as a medieval village with a cathedral, all built out of legos, hahaha...you know what I mean? It's amazing looking, but it's...wel... legos!

At the end it doesn't matter, certainly. I'm in a funny mood today anyway, I think. I'm starting to make a track with OXE and it's interesting. It's actually amazing how crude that one is when you go up into the higher frequencies, huuuhh...so coarse, but all in all, it's fun. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the subjects...

Z, you rock! And when will Jasinski join again?! :hyper:

z.prime wrote:... I know what you mean about the "plastic" sound...
I totally don't know what you guys mean. I clearly don't have the ears for this level of detail; I listened to 3 or 4 plugins' demo videos/tracks recently and literally could not hear the difference or effect, even when the narrator was saying, like, "Intense stuff". I recently read an interview that suggested it's all about training one's ear, and it takes years, so help me out: what does "plastic" mean? For example, I've learned from KVR that "analog warmth" means ~110Hz bump and ramp off high frequencies, meaning it's timbral and related to EQ. But maybe "plastic" is more temporal, like "snappy" which seems to be about envelope timing? If that's the case, the only compensation would presumably be automation (which is such a PITA in Reaper compared to Studio One, but that's another story...)

Return to “Instruments”