What synth is this pad from?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was on a compilation of 1980's Planetarium music and i would like to know what synth and preset this pad is from. Starts at 00:17 of the video. If someone could please help thanks! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=820jJZTOxF4

I doubt that anyone would be able to tell by the sheer sound. You could take a look here, and see if you can identify some of the machines: http://www.thousandstar.com/138901.html

Jonn Serrie is top notch btw, love his stuff, one of my favorite artists.

Nice sound!
I couldn`t really guess where it comes from, but I will...thinking maybe the Korg M1 ?
Anyway, I hear a combi sound. maybe a church organ with a fender Rhodes mixed through a multi-tap delay and maybe a soft flanger?
EDIT - after listening for awhile I started thinking FM. I`m pretty sure FM7 could accomplish this. Will give it a go. If I get it, i`ll post the preset file.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

As the album is from 1992 it could be a Korg Wavestation. This could easily do those complex sounds and has nice built-in effects.

In this thread someone mentioned he used a Wavestation in the 90s:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165771

Not sure if the sounds in the track are Wavestation presets but if i find some time i could check with my Wavestation EX (just replaced the backlight...) or the plugin. Of could it could be also own/custom patches.

For that sound at 00:17 it is also possible that it is from a Roland D-50.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

The album was released in 1992 but it was a compilation of his 1980's work for Planetarium Shows. I tried emailing Jonn about his studio equipment but i didn't get a response. From what ive read he doesn't like to speak about what gear he uses...

'It's remarkable that Jonn Serrie never listed any of his equipment on his albums.'
Still I think it's a Korg M1 lol

Inded difficult to fid informations.

This is written at the description of the album on iTunes:
The release of Planetary Chronicles, Vol. 1 marks the first availability of the library and commissioned works of Jonn Serrie. The five compositions are from his planetarium soundtracks. The original compositions were created on analog synths and two-track analog tape. Serrie added digital enhancements during the final mixing and mastering while preserving the original flavor and intent. The imagery is vivid and clear; the sound is crisp and austere. Deep listeners will be able to close their eyes and see the planetarium show. This is a great CD from the space musician's space musician.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

On iPhone speaker but those pads were usually done with ppg or Waldorf.perhaps microwave.

Oh, you know that filter sounds like synclavier. Again on phone.

another guess would be fizmo

annode wrote:Nice sound!
I couldn`t really guess where it comes from, but I will...thinking maybe the Korg M1 ?
Anyway, I hear a combi sound. maybe a church organ with a fender Rhodes mixed through a multi-tap delay and maybe a soft flanger?
EDIT - after listening for awhile I started thinking FM. I`m pretty sure FM7 could accomplish this. Will give it a go. If I get it, i`ll post the preset file.
Changing the multi-tap to a rotary type tremolo effect or the stereo panning type tremolo found on Rhodes Stage Pianos.
1st choices still M1(T1) and DX7 (FM7).

@ Dasheesh
That`s a lot of guessing.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

I was about to say Rhodes chroma perhaps.

Yeah I got half a dozen guesses. Tough to do on a phone but those are my guesses. Just trying to be helpful.

Dasheesh wrote:Yeah I got half a dozen guesses. Tough to do on a phone but those are my guesses. Just trying to be helpful.
Based on the fact that the album was released in 1992 and the tracks seem to be done during the 80s most of your guesses do not seem to be possible, at least synths from Waldorf and the Fizmo...
My first guess was Wavestation which was released around 1990 but based on the fact that the recordings seemed to be done in the 80s this could be wrong.

Baaed on what i found so far it is even possible that most sounds were created using analog synths. Some people do seem to forget that with analog synths it is also possible to create "digital like" sounds like e.g. Bells etc.
Also using effects like e.g. early Lexicon reverbs could make a big difference.

Besides what i alraedy mentioned possible synths could be:
DX7, PPG Wave 2.x, Fairlight, Synclavier, Prophet VS, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, Matrix 12 and others

If we talk about the very late 80s it would indeed be possible that a M1 was involved as was alraedy mentioned.

Anyway i have no idea yet what was really used in that track. I am just guessing too... :)
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: For that sound at 00:17 it is also possible that it is from a Roland D-50.
Did somebody say... D-50? :love:
Still waiting on Roland to make a VST version.

Return to “Instruments”