Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

What synth is this pad from?

ls1xxx
KVRist
 
276 posts since 25 Sep, 2009

Postby ls1xxx; Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:14 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

Still wondering what synthesizer these sounds came from back then.
User avatar
thejonsolo
KVRAF
 
1616 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:05 pm Re: What synth is this pad from?

Synclavier is still the best guess. It sounds like one washed in reverb, delay, maybe some flanging.

Wavestation or PPG is a good guess but the tone sounds a bit off for those. Who knows if he used an outboard filter however.
mcnoone
Suspended

Postby mcnoone; Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

thejonsolo wrote:Synclavier is still the best guess.

:tu:
That's most likely the one.
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
4487 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:55 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

theres alot going on here, but it sounds mostly like a slow attack organish sound with some lfo filtering, and of course some reverb and delay. easily done with a rompler and amp env/lfo/filter tweaking.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
chk071
KVRAF
 
13275 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:04 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

No idea about the OP, but here's a couple of pictures of him and his gear: http://www.thousandstar.com/138901.html Also, such sounds very doable with Waldorf's synths, i would even say they're predestined for such sounds.

Fan of his stuff here BTW. :)

Edit: Um... should have checked the first page, as i already replied exactly that... :dog: :lol:
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
 
21027 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:16 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

Is that a Moog in the background of the first pic? Looks like one of Rolands JP range in the foreground.
User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
 
9562 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:18 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

chk071 wrote:No idea about the OP, but here's a couple of pictures of him and his gear: http://www.thousandstar.com/138901.html Also, such sounds very doable with Waldorf's synths, i would even say they're predestined for such sounds.

Fan of his stuff here BTW. :)

Edit: Um... should have checked the first page, as i already replied exactly that... :dog: :lol:


Didn't you have a dejavu moment? 8)
User avatar
Chris-S
KVRAF
 
2188 posts since 10 Nov, 2013, from Germany

Postby Chris-S; Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:49 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

ls1xxx wrote:Still wondering what synthesizer these sounds came from back then.

As was already listed, John Serrie loves DX7, JD800, korg wavestation.
chk071
KVRAF
 
13275 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:59 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:No idea about the OP, but here's a couple of pictures of him and his gear: http://www.thousandstar.com/138901.html Also, such sounds very doable with Waldorf's synths, i would even say they're predestined for such sounds.

Fan of his stuff here BTW. :)

Edit: Um... should have checked the first page, as i already replied exactly that... :dog: :lol:


Didn't you have a dejavu moment? 8)

Nope. But then, i thought it was a new thread, so... :)
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
ls1xxx
KVRist
 
276 posts since 25 Sep, 2009

Postby ls1xxx; Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:51 pm Re: What synth is this pad from?

Back again! Just came across this here ------> https://www.lochnessproductions.com/geo ... depth.html This right here has audio from the 1985 Hayden Planetarium live show in New York. You can see Jonn and the other guys setting the gear up before the show. However i do not see any signs of a Synclavier but i do see an Emulator 2, DX7, MemoryMoog, Rhodes, EML synth(i think)?? amongst others. That lead pad in this track has the same exact one in Starmoods that i posted a while back. Maybe someone could point out which synth the pad is coming from?

This is one of the fine tracks from the show that has that pad sound! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOV6yhOzvs
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
4487 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 am Re: What synth is this pad from?

ls1xxx wrote:Back again! Just came across this here ------> https://www.lochnessproductions.com/geo ... depth.html This right here has audio from the 1985 Hayden Planetarium live show in New York. You can see Jonn and the other guys setting the gear up before the show. However i do not see any signs of a Synclavier but i do see an Emulator 2, DX7, MemoryMoog, Rhodes, EML synth(i think)?? amongst others. That lead pad in this track has the same exact one in Starmoods that i posted a while back. Maybe someone could point out which synth the pad is coming from?

This is one of the fine tracks from the show that has that pad sound! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOV6yhOzvs

yup this is what you get when you marry the DX7 metallic electric piano
sound with lots of reverb and echo
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
ls1xxx
KVRist
 
276 posts since 25 Sep, 2009

Postby ls1xxx; Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm Re: What synth is this pad from?

layzer wrote:yup this is what you get when you marry the DX7 metallic electric piano
sound with lots of reverb and echo


I keep trying to get this sound in FM7. It's not working for me...
nordickvr
KVRian
 
521 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Postby nordickvr; Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm Re: What synth is this pad from?

The sound you'r looking for is possibly tuned in fifth.
ls1xxx
KVRist
 
276 posts since 25 Sep, 2009

Postby ls1xxx; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 pm Re: What synth is this pad from?

nordickvr wrote:The sound you'r looking for is possibly tuned in fifth.


Do you think it is a preset from the Yamaha DX7?
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1822 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm Re: What synth is this pad from?

still a synclavier and I totally forgot about this thread, and as soon as I played it again today I recognized it as synclavier. That's after driving home on a 7 hour road trip. It's a synclavier. The reason I initially thought there was "something about that filter" is because synclavier doesn't have one.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cb8rwh, CCBot (commoncrawl), Iva, zakufan