UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

arachnaut wrote:
1) Deleting large sample groups usually crashed Falcon. I have encountered this so many times making the preset I referenced a few posts back. No doubt these sort of issues will get fixed, but they may only show up if one uses quite a few samples and/or layers. I submitted an easily reproducible example to UVI support.
That's weird. Will check what support send us.
Our in-house sound designer actually use Falcon to do our all of soundbank so if it crashes that often they would have killed us by now.
arachnaut wrote: 2) When you modify a keygroup you have to use the mouse to select it. When you try going through 198 keygroups with mouseclicks, you will no doubt bump a few accidentally and change the velocity range. It would be nice to be able to select the next keygroup with a tab key. Arrow keys nudge the keygroup.
Have you actually tried the tab Key ? because this is what it does.
arachnaut wrote: 3) It would be nice to be able to sort samples by velocity and/or key.
Click the column header corresponding to velocities in the List View and Voila !
arachnaut wrote: 4) If you want to select a range of keygroups, you can only do so with control clicks. You can not use a mouse drag. You can do so if you move a keygroup to expose a 'hole' in the mapping area and use that hole to start the mouse click and then drag an area to lasso a group. (I'm talking about mapping areas that are totally filled - all notes, all velocities, so no holes).
Shift + click then drag
arachnaut wrote: 5) The resolve overlapping tools work somewhat oddly. I don't know how they work, but they don't work as I expected. If I had a few overlapping velocity areas, like from an accidental nudge, I expected the resolution to automatically adjust and nudge them in place, but it did not do that at all, it totally wrecked the key sample.
This is what should happen. If you have a use case that fails, please send it to our support.
arachnaut wrote: 6) If you do need to make a change after setting up the keymap you need to go through each one and make the change - it is very easy to miss one. As you click on the keymap, you will probably nudge a few of these groups by accident and have to go back and place them properly. Since most changes that I made affected every sample in the instrument, I would sorely like to be able to make changes like that globally. But I suppose I already made this complaint clear by now.
Not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve, but if you select a group of keygroup, you can set the values to all of those (key and vel) by modifying the value in the mapping header.(double click to enter a value)
arachnaut wrote: 7) Using the Tree View to modify the topmost macro of a set of keygroups results in a random number of the macros in the group getting adjusted properly and the rest get ignored. I posted pictures of this a few posts back.
If you got some steps to reproduce, I will gladly have a look.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

newuser2014 wrote:A Random S&H LFO with a frequency of 0.00 Hz has a wonderful unexpected result. (as applied to pitch, cutoff etc.)

:) Please - If this is a bug, do NOT fix it ! :)

For owners of Falcon, -just try it. Tweak the RISE parameter too.
Indeed, this is a bug :)
It actually changes the values at each samples like if it was very very fast.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

@Simon

Beautiful mallet/wah demo... really looking forward to the Falcon Air release. ETA?

Some info regarding Macros:

@arachnaut and others

You have two ways to connect Macros, the default one is similar to MIDI learn, where the macro actually change the destination parameter in a absolute way.
You can as well connect a macro a modulation source which will be applied in a relative way like other modulation source.(to do so, just use the regular way of assignment of modulation source)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

Hi guys, new to the party :party:
On my windows 8 64 bit machine whenever I drag and drop an oscillator directly to the keyboard, and having the mapping area closed, Falcon instantly crashes, both in standalone mode or in a daw or in another vst host.
As in figure:

Obviously there is no need to drag'n'drop on the keyboard as one is supposed to drop it in the mapping area only, never the less is annoying that if done by chance the program crashes instead of simply not doing it, and if you were not saving the work....
I have the suspect that is a driver issue of my graphic card though..
Anyway, anyone else had this problem?
Cheers and thanks :)

Works fine her and this is suppose to work.

Can you try uninstalling and reinstall back the software ?

Thanks !
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

otristan wrote:Works fine her and this is suppose to work.

Can you try uninstalling and reinstall back the software ?

Thanks !
Thanks for answering so quickly!
Yes just done right after reading your comment, it keeps crashing.
To double check it I've installed it on another Windows 7 64 bit laptop and crashes there too when doing the same action.

I can see where arachnaut is coming from...

Drag 30 samples over to create 30 keygroup ,
Now batch change them to grain oscillator.

Now I want to add an lfo modulating density on all of the oscillators , how can I do this so I don't have to do each one in turn?
( ok for 30 but what if it's 100??)

Then later if I decide if like to change the modulation amount a bit, I have to go thru them all again.

It would be nice for falcon to show common oscillators, so u can edit all at once.

( I tried list and tree views but not seemed to allow me to do this)

Yeah that's a bit of a bitch.

Diego_C wrote:Hi guys, new to the party :party:
On my windows 8 64 bit machine whenever I drag and drop an oscillator directly to the keyboard, and having the mapping area closed, Falcon instantly crashes, both in standalone mode or in a daw or in another vst host.
As in figure:

Obviously there is no need to drag'n'drop on the keyboard as one is supposed to drop it in the mapping area only, never the less is annoying that if done by chance the program crashes instead of simply not doing it, and if you were not saving the work....
I found the issue, should be fixed in 1.0.2

mdsp wrote:
Diego_C wrote:Hi guys, new to the party :party:
As in figure:

I found the issue, should be fixed in 1.0.2
:tu: Now if only each Parliament on the globe would be as fast as you guys in fixing things, this would be a better planet.
Awesome! Thanks :party:

Here is a tutorial I just recorded on assigning modulations and Macros, building a wavetable patch from scratch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQNZrPDjtzw

Sampleconstruct wrote:I didn't use many sample for my Falcon factory sounds, but I am currently doing some very sample intense patches with hundreds of keygroups and did so back with MachFive and it all works/worked smoothly, none of the horror you are describing has bothered me (apart of the lack of batch editing oscillators), so to me it seems you're fighting with a Falcon rather than embracing and feeding it :)
OK!

I will embrace the unfamiliar and stop kicking and screaming!

But I am serious that Falcon is a great synth.
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

otristan wrote:
arachnaut wrote: 2) When you modify a keygroup you have to use the mouse to select it. When you try going through 198 keygroups with mouseclicks, you will no doubt bump a few accidentally and change the velocity range. It would be nice to be able to select the next keygroup with a tab key. Arrow keys nudge the keygroup.
Have you actually tried the tab Key ? because this is what it does.
This is embarassing. You are correct. I could have sworn I tested this before posting.

otristan wrote:
arachnaut wrote: 3) It would be nice to be able to sort samples by velocity and/or key.
Click the column header corresponding to velocities in the List View and Voila !
This does not work for me. Neither column sorts.

otristan wrote: Not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve, but if you select a group of keygroup, you can set the values to all of those (key and vel) by modifying the value in the mapping header.(double click to enter a value)
??
I mean changing the parameters of a group of sample oscillators all-at-once.
otristan wrote:
arachnaut wrote: 7) Using the Tree View to modify the topmost macro of a set of keygroups results in a random number of the macros in the group getting adjusted properly and the rest get ignored. I posted pictures of this a few posts back.
If you got some steps to reproduce, I will gladly have a look.
When I get a chance I will submit an error report.

thetechnobear wrote:I can see where arachnaut is coming from...

Drag 30 samples over to create 30 keygroup ,
Now batch change them to grain oscillator.

Now I want to add an lfo modulating density on all of the oscillators , how can I do this so I don't have to do each one in turn?
( ok for 30 but what if it's 100??)

Then later if I decide if like to change the modulation amount a bit, I have to go thru them all again.

It would be nice for falcon to show common oscillators, so u can edit all at once.

( I tried list and tree views but not seemed to allow me to do this)
Exactly, but I was modifying about 200 samples this way.

I found the edit XML approach to be a lot less painful.

Return to “Instruments”