UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

The Xpander filter is obviously inspired by Oberheim Xpander. But there's no actual circuit modeling happening here.

sircuit wrote:Does anyone know if Falcon’s filters model something from hardware world? Thinking Moog (which judging from the manual I’d thing is the Analog Filter), Korg, Roland?
Why is that important? They're filters. You place them in the sound flow and use them to do what they are supposed to do. If you don't like one, you use another. This is not "another" Moog or Korg or Roland emulation. This is a sampling workstation.
Fernando (FMR)

EvilDragon wrote:The Xpander filter is obviously inspired by Oberheim Xpander. But there's no actual circuit modeling happening here.
I was more interested in "linearities" so to speak (slope, q, cutoff frequency - some filters even when totally open are still attenuating over 10K), rather than electronic components instabilities.
fmr wrote:
sircuit wrote:Does anyone know if Falcon’s filters model something from hardware world? Thinking Moog (which judging from the manual I’d thing is the Analog Filter), Korg, Roland?
Why is that important? They're filters. You place them in the sound flow and use them to do what they are supposed to do. If you don't like one, you use another. This is not "another" Moog or Korg or Roland emulation. This is a sampling workstation.
I have my reasons, for me Falcon is a synth with advanced sample playback capability, not the other way around.

sircuit wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:The Xpander filter is obviously inspired by Oberheim Xpander. But there's no actual circuit modeling happening here.
I was more interested in "linearities" so to speak (slope, q, cutoff frequency - some filters even when totally open are still attenuating over 10K), rather than electronic components instabilities.
fmr wrote:
I have my reasons, for me Falcon is a synth with advanced sample playback capability, not the other way around.
So, use it as a synth. Like I said, it has filters - tons of them. However, it doesn't aim to "emulate" any other synth. Use the filter that you like the best. Back in the days, when we used to buy a synth, we would not ask what kind of filter it had. We would bought it for the sound, and would use whatever was there. If you think of Falcon as a synth, use it the same way - use whatever is there.
Fernando (FMR)

Is there anyway to save a soundbank as a UFS?

aMUSEd wrote:Is there anyway to save a soundbank as a UFS?
You have to contact UVI and pay them to package it as a UFS.

This has come up a bunch of times in the past. It's a bit of a bummer. UFS is a cool format and it would be nice to rely on bundled UFS files instead of paths (particularly if you want to re-use custom libraries across machines).

I've asked for them to allow us to make unprotected UFS files for free, but they haven't expressed any interest in it so far.

(I'm not whining btw. I think it would be cool, but obviously it's up to them what they want to do and how they want to prioritize it)

UFS is pretty much the same thing as encoding for Kontakt Player. Exactly the same thing, in fact. So no, user-built UFS files won't happen.

FR 1:
I'd like to see assignable modulation of multi envelope breakpoints.

FR 2:
Lots more distortion modes/options in Xpander filter drive. I'd like the complete wave shaper fx as option here.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

The problem is standard banks don't save their paths properly when saved in projects and moved to another host - finding this the hard way trying to create NKS versions, only the UFS based ones (because it's basically like a mounted drive so has it's own path) don't have a problem finding their paths.

aMUSEd wrote:The problem is standard banks don't save their paths properly when saved in projects and moved to another host - finding this the hard way trying to create NKS versions, only the UFS based ones (because it's basically like a mounted drive so has it's own path) don't have a problem finding their paths.
yep exactly. That's why an unprotected UFS would be so nice.

The best approach that I've theorized (but not tested) is to use a disk image. Then the disk image mounts to the same path regardless of which machine it's on.

I mean in a way that's essentially what the UFS is doing anyhow, I guess? I imagine it's just a directory structure that has been packaged up and mounted.

Yeah UFS is not the same as a Kontakt protected file, yes it has protection but the key thing is it's basically a disk image which gives it a level of portability the user libraries don't have. It would be nice to be able to create mountable disk images of our own banks and third party ones regardless of the protection, that's a secondary issue really from the functionality this offers.

Latest update is kompletely broken in NI Komplete Kontrol - the top part of the window is cutoff and it doesn't want to retain resize settings

This also seems to mess up mouse usage so I can't touch anything on the gui with the mouse unless I click a couple of cm below where the actual knob etc is, it's like cutting off the top has shifted all the mouse areas downwards.

It's been like this for a while for me, not just the latest update. A workaround for the mouse usage is to hide the plug-in strip at the top of the KK window.

Brad

Doesn't make a difference for me - it used to but now that workaround isn't working either.

I think GUI scaling is the issue - if I disable it the problem goes away but obviously I would prefer not to have to

and for it to remember size settings between sessions

"Sphaeri Mystaera", featuring the new FM osc of the wavetable module, mixed with secret mumbo jumbo.

https://soundcloud.com/leap-into-the-vo ... i-mystaera
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Return to “Instruments”