Arturia Synth Collection vs. Diva Tal U-NO etc.? sound, gui etc.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:If I remember correctly someone said that the Matrix 12 emulation is also an older one, but they could not launch it earlier for legal reasons. Something like that...
I didn't know, but the GUI is the biggest I have seen from Arturia yet.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:Software always has bugs. It's rather a question whether they have a major Impact on usage or not. Major issues usually will get nailed out, while more rare stuff is less likely to be fixed.
That's a sad attitude somehow. And one good reason to go hardware. If hardware is defect, you may even get your money back.
Most (all?) modern hardware comes with software on it though, so you have the same problem. If the software is buggy, you need a fix. And it is, very often. I don't see much of a "sad" attitude there too, anyone who remotely had to do with writing software in his life will know that software is very complex, hence very prone to errors.

Well, I think it is mostly a matter of perfectionism, work ethic, attitude, skills, etc.

BasariStudios wrote:The words Subjective and Opinion are the worst thing that happened to humanity
since the great Deluge...add Democracy to it too. Mostly on the West everything is
based on Opinion and Subjective (in simple words a Lie) but nothing on Fact.
Yes its great to have an opinion...but...you saying you like the taste of CRAP even
though is bad for you can not be taken as Opinion or Subjective (freedom of expression)
but only a FACT can exist in there which is ,,you are not entitled to an opinion in this case''
only based on the fact that you are out of your mind. I learnt one thing in my life,
if 1 million people say white and 1 says black then f^%k him, he has no right to an opinion
and subjectivity...those stupid freedoms brought the world to the state that is in today.
Yes, sorry, i was of topic and on topic at the same time. Stop worrying about peoples feelings,
we are not a bunch of old ladies here...lets be real a little.

being real.. when it comes to plugin there is no fact at ALL on "which one sounds better".

That really IS up to the individual and their ears.

Your post has some points but doesn't apply to the diva vs arturia topic.

4damind wrote:Btw. has somebody compared the Jupiter 8v2 in the latest version (2.7?) with Diva and/or reprogrammed some patches to compare them?
It's difficult to compare them, because, like I said, DIVA is not a perfect "emulator" of either of the synths it has components from. Besides, some things (most notably the LFOs) are its own, and don't behave at all like the Júpiter ones. Add to that the fact that, to obtain the same results, you have to use different parameter values in DIVA than the ones you use in Júpiter-8 (OTOH, in Júpiter-8 V you can basically use the exact same parameter value). I noticed that since I have programmed many sounds from the Juno-60 in it, and also created some sounds from the Moog and from the Júpiter-8 (they are included in the factory banques since the launching)

They definitely don't sound equal, and I find Júpiter-8 V closer to Júpiter-8. But, as I said before, DIVA strength, IMO, resides in the mix'n match options, not in each of the components taken isolatedly. It is a great synth, no doubt about it, and I never had second thoughts, but doesn't replace any proper emulation, IMO
Fernando (FMR)

fluffy_little_something wrote: If I remember correctly someone said that the Matrix 12 emulation is also an older one, but they could not launch it earlier for legal reasons. Something like that...
No, it was probably me who brought this subject, but what I said was that their intention, after launching the Moog Modular V, was to launch na emultaion of the Matrix-12, because it was the most sought after synth. Gibson, however, denied them the rights to do it, so, they turned to Yamaha, instead, and to the CS-80, which was the second in the list of preferences.

So, the code is new, although it was in the todo list for a long time.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: They definitely don't sound equal, and I find Júpiter-8 V closer to Júpiter-8.
But this depends a lot on how you're defining close. For me, it's like in a movie when the 3rd wall is broken, the suspension of disbelief is destroyed in that moment. The same is true with Aturia's old synths when you push the filter in the wrong way. In that moment, it's so far way that the average is completely destroyed. I'd rather have a Diva patch that comes close and never breaks the suspension of disbelief.

I'm not a purist, I personally see zero value in exact duplication of old patches. So, when I recommend Diva it's in a very general sense that, overall, it's a much better sounding digital emulation of the 80s analog polysynth sound than anything that Arturia produces.

fmr wrote:
4damind wrote:Btw. has somebody compared the Jupiter 8v2 in the latest version (2.7?) with Diva and/or reprogrammed some patches to compare them?
It's difficult to compare them, because, like I said, DIVA is not a perfect "emulator" of either of the synths it has components from. Besides, some things (most notably the LFOs) are its own, and don't behave at all like the Júpiter ones. Add to that the fact that, to obtain the same results, you have to use different parameter values in DIVA than the ones you use in Júpiter-8 (OTOH, in Júpiter-8 V you can basically use the exact same parameter value). I noticed that since I have programmed many sounds from the Juno-60 in it, and also created some sounds from the Moog and from the Júpiter-8 (they are included in the factory banques since the launching)

They definitely don't sound equal, and I find Júpiter-8 V closer to Júpiter-8. But, as I said before, DIVA strength, IMO, resides in the mix'n match options, not in each of the components taken isolatedly. It is a great synth, no doubt about it, and I never had second thoughts, but doesn't replace any proper emulation, IMO
Thank you Fernando.
It's interesting, I have completely no idea why.. but there is something with the Jupiter 8v I like more compared to Diva. Unfortunately I had only the demo version which runs 20min so it's not something to program own sounds, more for a quick check of the presets. Besides the GUI (which hurts my eyes after some minutes because the controls are so small) there is something with the sound I really like.
Yes, Diva is a completely different thing but people comparing always Diva and Arturia to the real hardware and thats IMO also the main argument.

One thing the Arturia synths have going for them vs. Diva is resource consumption. I know sound is everything, but depending on your machine, you may get more out of Arturia's synths. I never have to check to see how much resources they are gobbling up, Diva I always watch. And then there is price. For just a tad more, you can get a ton of plugins, but then Diva itself is so flexible it covers many of those bases too. Bottom line to me, it isn't either-or, personally I'd get both.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

BasariStudios wrote:
electro wrote:Was that meant as a joke?
I hope it was...also someone else somewhere sad Diva leaves them cold. :D
Yeah I said this also. I'm not the first person and I won't be the last. What I actually said was that I find it can be a little sterile. I've heard other people describe it as too clean. Yes I own Monark and Diva and they are fantastic, but sometimes I prefer to use other VAs because they just feel more alive. The Germans are obviously too clinical in their modelling ;)

Each to there own, everyone is entitled to an opinion. :phones:

BTW: To get that Jupiter 8v "air" that you get with the res and cutoff up high, for example on JM8_Full_Pad, with Diva, just switch Diva to draft mode. Instant low quality Arturia filter model.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted the 8V way back when. I only have the V collection because of a lucky blunder that allowed me to get it for virtually nothing.

I've been offered Arturia's deal a few times now. I've never been tempted by it.

I have Solina and the SEM V. The SEM is good but Diva floors it (imo). I do think that Solina really stands out however.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

ghettosynth wrote:BTW: To get that Jupiter 8v "air" that you get with the res and cutoff up high, for example on JM8_Full_Pad, with Diva, just switch Diva to draft mode. Instant low quality Arturia filter model.
Don't know if you remember, but you DO got a good breath of "air" with the real Jupiter-8, back then (and now) :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

There are sounds that the Arturia synths do that are unique to both software and hardware. I don't think that what they excel at is the same thing that hardware analogs excel at. For instance analog synths (and Diva) sound great with dark sounds because the filters don't make them muddy, it still has body and clarity. Arturia synths do not sound good heavily lowpass filtered if you ask me, nor with filters being driven hard. When they shine is the brighter sparkly fuzzy highs. I still think that the miniV with an open filter is one of the creamiest sounds around. And the jupiter has some very interesting snappy arps.

But overall, they are too similar and I think that the types of sounds which I find pleasing from Arturia synths can be more or less covered and improved with several other synths like Poly-Ana or Sylenth1.

Ever gone through patches with similar attributes in analog lab and seen how many presets in the collection sound almost identical?...

Return to “Instruments”