Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
braj
KVRAF

9094 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:58 pm Mai Tai opinions?

Mai Tai is the subtractive synth that comes bundled with Studio One 3 Pro. Just wondering where you all would rate it, this is from the page promoting it:

Mai Tai, Studio One’s new polyphonic analog modeling synth, gives you the ability to create monster electro and bass sounds that cleanly cut through your mix like a scalpel, inflict punishment like a jagged rusty blade, or bludgeon listeners with bass that will leave them reeling for days.

Not unlike the effect you experience after a few drinks that share the same name, Mai Tai’s sounds can change character and produce drastic morphing changes and unique timbres. Its Multimode filter offers sounds ranging from vintage analog (a la Moog or Oberheim) to state-of-the-art "zero-delay filters" sounds only found in virtual instruments costing hundreds of dollars. Mai Tai’s oscillators and LFOs have a free-run mode, like an analog synth. Get modular-synth-style operation for enormously complex sounds, through Mai Tai's 16-stage modulation matrix. And Mai Tai is guaranteed to sound amazing because it’s built on Studio One’s dynamic new synthesis engine.

2 oscillators with sub-oscillator and 2 LFOs can operate in free-run mode, exactly like real analog synths
Noise generator
Multimode filter with five types from vintage analog (Moog and Oberheim style) to modern state-of-the-art “zero feedback” filters
Character module provides subtle or drastic sound changes, morphing-like effects and unique timbres.
“Quality” modes affect overall performance and sound by changing the resolution or fine-tuning of oscillators, filters, and character section
3 envelope generators with scalable curve shapes
16-stage modulation matrix allows for enormously complex sounds; almost like having a modular synth.
Built-in effects
Scalable CPU performance
​Hundreds of presets, or mix your own

If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new
EnGee
KVRAF

4684 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Postby EnGee; Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:50 am Re: Mai Tai opinions?

Good question! I almost forgot I have it!

When I first played with it, I liked it. I think it is a good synth with good abilities and a nice design (although I wished they did it with Mojito graphic design).

The sound is good IMO and the cpu usage is little bit high but I expect it to do a wide range of sounds. Still didn't give it a fair time to be honest, but hopefully soon.

I'm curious also about what the others experiences with it :)
My lovely setup: Windows 10, Reason 10, Cubase 9.5, AudioBox iTwo, Casio PX-5S, Korg microKey & nanoKontrol and a bunch of great soft synths and instruments :)
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16468 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:50 am Re: Mai Tai opinions?

Too much CPU for the resulting sound... Diva sounds better and uses less CPU in most cases. Not to mention TAL stuff... sounds just as good and doesn't even sweat the CPU.
Roman Empire
KVRian

845 posts since 31 Mar, 2002, from Spain

Postby Roman Empire; Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:04 am Re: Mai Tai opinions?

At this point where I wish I could, but can´t, try this one out, it´s still making my day that your synth seems to NOT have anything to do with these people:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/100118-Mai-Tai

Best Regards

Roman Empire
braj
KVRAF

9094 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 am Re: Mai Tai opinions?

I thought this bit in the advert was weird:

from vintage analog (a la Moog or Oberheim) to state-of-the-art "zero-delay filters" sounds

It really doesn't sound like the author knew what the hell they were saying.

Regarding the synth itself, I like the envelopes, editing them is a breeze, the filter and specifically the Character setting I dunno what to say exactly, some more descriptions of what each settings do to the sounds directly within the plugin would be nice, but overall it sounds pretty good. Modulation options are good, nothing ground-breaking but easy and familiar, enough for me, I was happy to see I could modulate the pan of the noise generator. The two OSC can be panned, that's nice. The effects I think are effective, the gate is pretty cool, used for subtle effect it sounds great. All and all I think it is a great little synth.

The thing that kills it is the resource consumption, which would be really nice for them to address. Especially for a native plugin, I really wish the resource consumption were better.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new
garryknight
KVRian

1085 posts since 6 Jan, 2015, from London, England

Postby garryknight; Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:03 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

It does use a fair bit of CPU but is better if you set the quality to Normal or 80s and bounce down to audio once you've got your sound right. But if you don't already have it, it isn't worth upgrading to Studio One just for Mai Tai.

On the other hand it is worth upgrading to Studio One just for Studio One. IMO.
Guenon
KVRian

1453 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Postby Guenon; Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

EvilDragon wrote:Too much CPU for the resulting sound... Diva sounds better and uses less CPU in most cases. Not to mention TAL stuff... sounds just as good and doesn't even sweat the CPU.

Yep, my opinion on Mai Tai is similar. Adding to the CPU hit, the way some people have been having technical difficulties with it, those are the reasons why I haven't considered using it in an actual production setting. I did compare it with the likes of Diva, ACE, Aalto and so on, and went "oh well", as all those others work without a hitch and sound generally better.

To be sure, It's not a bad synth at all, it's actually a very good one, and it would be just great as a built-in subtractive allrounder without the aforementioned issues.
Robmobius
KVRAF

3141 posts since 9 Sep, 2010, from A shit hole (Ireland).

Postby Robmobius; Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:06 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

It's a decent synth... But there's better 3rd party stuff. So, I don't really use it.
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.
trusampler
KVRian

704 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Postby trusampler; Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am Re: Mai Tai opinions?

I'd say the opposite, the more I use 3rd party synths, the more I come back to this synth,that no one really talks about. To me its far more musical to my ears. Love it
Cpu: Win10/2015 Mac Pro i7@4.3ghz/SSDs
Tools: Slate VMS/Apogee Rosetta 200/API Lunchbox 6
Project Mix IO/Dynaudio BM5A Mk2/Yamaha EX5 76 Keys
Akai Mpc Ren/Novation.SL/Studio One V3/Samples+Vst
Acustica N4/GOLD/Cobalt/LIME/SAND Fab 4/Ebony
rlared
KVRist

97 posts since 1 Aug, 2016

Postby rlared; Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:13 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

I don't like it at all. Way better alternatives out there for free or cheap.
chk071
KVRAF

16035 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:40 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

EvilDragon wrote:Too much CPU for the resulting sound... Diva sounds better and uses less CPU in most cases. Not to mention TAL stuff... sounds just as good and doesn't even sweat the CPU.

Pretty much this… i tried Mai Tai a couple of times. Didn't sound as good as other stuff to me, and took a lot of CPU. Moved on.
generaldiomedes
KVRist

491 posts since 14 Apr, 2017, from Canada

Postby generaldiomedes; Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:58 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

I actually like the sound, colouring options and layout quite a bit. But not enough to go back to S1. If it was a VST I would probably use it from time to time in Ableton.
H-man
KVRian

633 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:28 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

rlared wrote:I don't like it at all. Way better alternatives out there for free or cheap.

Yeeeaaaaah ....but seeing as it comes with the DAW that kinda makes it free/cheap for Studio One users tho.

Lots to like IMO. The filter is deeper than what you would normally expect, you get a lil' dot on the wheel when a parameter is automated, the 2 LFOs go to 8Khz and have a flashing LED to show speed (which is useless at 8Khz :ud:) and most of the modules can be clicked on/off which is handy for sound design, plus, 3 graphical self-scaling envelopes, hard sync, a sub and noise.

Certainly heavy on CPU in Supreme mode with long release and high poly what isn't :P
rlared
KVRist

97 posts since 1 Aug, 2016

Postby rlared; Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm Re: Mai Tai opinions?

H-man wrote:
rlared wrote:I don't like it at all. Way better alternatives out there for free or cheap.

Yeeeaaaaah ....but seeing as it comes with the DAW that kinda makes it free/cheap for Studio One users tho.

Lots to like IMO. The filter is deeper than what you would normally expect, you get a lil' dot on the wheel when a parameter is automated, the 2 LFOs go to 8Khz and have a flashing LED to show speed (which is useless at 8Khz :ud:) and most of the modules can be clicked on/off which is handy for sound design, plus, 3 graphical self-scaling envelopes, hard sync, a sub and noise.

Certainly heavy on CPU in Supreme mode with long release and high poly what isn't :P

Yeah it certainly makes sense to use if if you like it and if you have Studio One. It's not a bad little synth.
I just personally don't like it. What I'm starting to learn is that synths are a highly personal thing!
AlesisVi61
KVRist

388 posts since 16 Sep, 2014

Postby AlesisVi61; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 am Re: Mai Tai opinions?

"Mai Tai is the subtractive synth that comes bundled with Studio One 3 Pro. Just wondering where you all would rate it"

On a scale of 1 to 10,I would rate Mai Tai a negative 5.After tinkering with it for 10 minutes,I realized what a terrible waste it was and I've abandoned it,many years ago.
Presonus's Mojito synth is nice and quite an inspirational synth,given it's simplcity...has a genuine warm,analog sound(if only Mai Tai had that same quality...what a magnificent synth it could have been.)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments