StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

Dillinger wrote:
Stix is indeed a great tool for rhythmic sound design. I create loops and bounce them to manipulate the audio tracks but I’m more at home working with audio rather than midi.
This gives me the ability to use REAPER’s regions as well. But that’s just me.

Please give us the ability to rename the pads, I sometimes want more than one kick and may not be using perc for example. I have to wright down where I am putting sounds when my scheme doesn’t fit the default one. Make Sense?
Thanks this workflow can be of interest for other readers, using Reapers *regions* :)

Rename pads : Yes it makes sense. It has been requested a few times, and it would indeed be more handy.

Maybe automatically writing the name on the drumpads on the drumpad itself (top *squares* of UI) could be also a solution/alternative ? (also easier because it doesn't require user's work) What do you think ? Fact is that you need to select a drumpad to see it's name, and a good thing would be that all drumpads names are always visible somewhere, though soloing it in the mixer will give you the answer rather fast as well. (Reminds me that in Cubase you have to rename the tracks, then the mixer channels, then the clips etc, though obviously all these labels deal with the same object')
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

toonertik wrote:
Dillinger wrote:And another thing

It may mean more immediate results with a compressor on board but I agree with hivkorn, I prefer to send to my own favorite effects.

Jam on Lotuzia, make this drum machine what you know it can be.
+1 :tu:
Noted. Thanks to all for the input. :tu:

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

btw what would you consider as a good 'init' preset for a drum machine ?

1/ Sequencer : Empty or populated, with a standard 4/4 pattern with BD on each beat and snare on 2/4 ?
2/ Swing or no swing ?
3/ Fx (reverb, delay) on or off ? (with sends at zero for each drumpad)
4/ An analog drumkit for init, or something else ?
5/ Would you mind if we change the *init* preset in StiX (i.e would you miss it, or did you used it as it in a track ?)

7/ or : Does an init preset even make sense in a drum machine ?

Atm the init preset is : pattern is empty, a swing is applied, a basic lofi analog drumkit is used, some fx are on, while some others are off -for example the reverb is off, but the delay is on-. The gare time of all steps of all sequencer lines is also set at Very short.

I prefer if everything is set to 0. so

1. empty, 2. 4/4, 3. no swing, 4. empty, all params at 0/null, 5. no would prefer a "null" init. 7. yes its good when I want to start with a blank slate.
Lotuzia wrote:btw what would you consider as a good 'init' preset for a drum machine ?

1/ Sequencer : Empty or populated, with a standard 4/4 pattern with BD on each beat and snare on 2/4 ?
2/ Swing or no swing ?
5/ Would you mind if we change the *init* preset in StiX (i.e would you miss it, or did you used it as it in a track ?)

Atm the init preset is : pattern is empty, a swing is applied, a basic lofi analog drumkit is used, some fx are on, while some others are off -for example the reverb is off, but the delay is on-. The gare time of all steps of all sequencer lines is also set at Very short.

plexuss wrote:I prefer if everything is set to 0. so

1. empty, 2. 4/4, 3. no swing, 4. empty, all params at 0/null, 5. no would prefer a "null" init. 7. yes its good when I want to start with a blank slate.
Lotuzia wrote:btw what would you consider as a good 'init' preset for a drum machine ?

2/ Swing or no swing ?

Yes.. a null init should be vanilla clean>> nothing, so
7) yes an init drum preset makes total sense when one wants to start from scratch!!!
BUT you could also include some basic semi_inits as you have mentioned Lotuzia...
BTW, how do YOU start your amazing presets... I guess with a null type init :wink:

Batch Sample Import will be fixed ( I think individual sample import is working for all systems since v1.1
Individual sample import is indeed working for me, I should of been clearer.

The points you make regarding your vision for Stix are well thought out and I’m glad you offer dialogue regarding your reasoning and our requests.

Regarding init my thoughts are:
Let the user set what their init state will be. Maybe this is more of a template idea based on what their intended goals are for that session and may crossover into Stix’s ability to store patterns and kits.

Regarding naming of pads:
Automatic renaming may be OK, I think this must be based on the category you choose from?

Changing the current init will not harm any of my projects.

2/ Swing or no swing ?

Thanks for the input :) Noted

Dillinger wrote:
Batch Sample Import will be fixed ( I think individual sample import is working for all systems since v1.1
Individual sample import is indeed working for me, I should of been clearer.

The points you make regarding your vision for Stix are well thought out and I’m glad you offer dialogue regarding your reasoning and our requests.

Regarding init my thoughts are:
Let the user set what their init state will be. Maybe this is more of a template idea based on what their intended goals are for that session and may crossover into Stix’s ability to store patterns and kits.

Regarding naming of pads:
Automatic renaming may be OK, I think this must be based on the category you choose from?

Changing the current init will not harm any of my projects.
Thanks for the input :) Yes, I'm all for a dialogue. I think it can help to make StiX better. For you, and for me. Win/Win, as they say in the marketig adverts :) and always interesting. We all have to learn from each other -me think-.

For automatic renaming I was just thinking, as a possible alternative, to display the name of the pads according to their 'real' 'current' name ( Like 'BD Analog 07') on the hitpads themselves (in a more/less discret way, maybe in the topright section of the drumpad) . Of course, if you have edited a kick and have transformed it into an HH, and have not saved it, it might not be 100% OK. But in this case, simply saving your drumpad with a suitable name would fix that, and perform two operation in one single action. What do you think ?

And for the init preset, a form emerges from all the posts. Then, it's merely from 'advanced' users. So maye a couple of Init presets can be usefull . But it seems that the main one, i.e the one that shows when one loads StiX in a project, will be without a groove printed, 4/4, a default kit loaded ( I'll may post some candidates for that at a later point), and all sequence step parameters set to zero ... including the swing. As the easy page synthesis parameters. And effects on with sends set to zero (except phaser probably, as it's less used than the other ones. The main thing beeing that if you move a send for one of the drumpad to the reverb, you'll hear 'a reverb', and not nothing, as it is in the current init state.)

toonertik wrote:

2/ Swing or no swing ?

Yes.. a null init should be vanilla clean>> nothing, so
7) yes an init drum preset makes total sense when one wants to start from scratch!!!
BUT you could also include some basic semi_inits as you have mentioned Lotuzia...
BTW, how do YOU start your amazing presets... I guess with a null type init :wink:
Thanks for the input. And your kind words :)

For the presets, well I have several techniques, and I first made a personal white paper with directions I needed to explore (various synthesis methods, various sounds, emulations, current or ancestral techniques etc) So at the beginning, there was zilch :cry: , so my first move was to make some kicks, snares etc and then, try to make happy mariages. It didn't work that well, and pairing the sounds was more/less difficult/frustrating, so after that stage I made drumkits from scratch, making all the sounds of a drum kit one after another, and -trying to- make sure that they would mix well together. Also, while doing this, I also made the grooves. So actually, everything 'worked together' and was build step by step ( if I dare to say for a drum machine :)) To me, it gave better results. There are probably a lot of different methods and approaches, that may work well or less well for different people. But most of the factory drumkits, drumsounds and grooves were made like this.

For automatic renaming I was just thinking, as a possible alternative, to display the name of the pads according to their 'real' 'current' name ( Like 'BD Analog 07') on the hitpads themselves (in a more/less discret way, maybe in the topright section of the drumpad) . Of course, if you have edited a kick and have transformed it into an HH, and have not saved it, it might not be 100% OK. But in this case, simply saving your drumpad with a suitable name would fix that, and perform two operation in one single action. What do you think ?
That would be a great implementation for renaming pads. :tu:

NKS?

Dillinger wrote:
That would be a great implementation for renaming pads. :tu:

NKS?
Hmmm unfortunately not much space left on the drumpads themseleves (topleft-center). Maybe under the mixer sliders ? (With 8 first characters of the sound preset name ?)

NKS : Doable, but lots of work, so it will have to wait (though I've begun to think about how to do it it actually). Currently another Xils-Lab synth waits for NI NKS certification, and I've finished to translate one official add-on bank to NKS, in a way that should greatly enhance the concept of standard nks soundsets translations.

Lotuzia wrote:
For the presets, well I have several techniques, and I first made a personal white paper with directions I needed to explore (various synthesis methods, various sounds, emulations, current or ancestral techniques etc) So at the beginning, there was zilch :cry: , so my first move was to make some kicks, snares etc and then, try to make happy mariages. It didn't work that well,
toonertik wrote: Yes, I tried that twice.. din't work that well for me either... oops, your talking about presets>>> :lol:
and pairing the sounds was more/less difficult/frustrating, so after that stage I made drumkits from scratch, making all the sounds of a drum kit one after another, and -trying to- make sure that they would mix well together. Also, while doing this, I also made the grooves. So actually, everything 'worked together' and was build step by step ( if I dare to say for a drum machine :)) To me, it gave better results. There are probably a lot of different methods and approaches, that may work well or less well for different people. But most of the factory drumkits, drumsounds and grooves were made like this.
At the moment I only have the CM version, so can only work with the factory sounds... but there are so many to mix and match.
My process is usually to get the basic groove with kick and 2 other sounds first (could be any sounds at this time) .. I need that GROOVE.. then often change the sounds and add the extras... I also like to use other beats to the bar...
Though due to the engine tech, as discussed earlier, there is a limitation/problem/not doable when trying to change beats_per_bar in one song
Have you ever tried that Lotuzia>> going from say 3/4 to 4/4 with patterns in the same song... if you can do it, let me know how please.
And thanks for this post.
:tu:

Concerning the proposal I've made to Xils-lab of a total revamp of the preset manager approx a year ago, here it is. (It was for another new synthesizer that I proposed, but could be adapted easily to StiX, with a few additional tabs to manage the different categories of objects (Global, drumkits, drumpads etc) . So the image should be seen as the global preset part of it, minus the *layers* tab, wich could be replaced by 'Drum Kits' or 'drumpads' for example, so that's one tab done easily)

You select the two criterias to refine the search (dropdown menu, not shown here) , can add new tags to criterias easily, select or multiselect results -wich are displayed in the 3 columns right- , and can move them to a 'bank', create a bank, or multi tag them if a 'tag' function is added to the right click menu ( currently showing 'save, save as, move, delete') It's a simple rectangle, all in one window, and can therefore be put anywhere in a GUI( probably replacing another part of the GUI when you want to perform preset management). Scroll bars should be added too.

It also respects 1/1 the current database implementation of Xils-plugs, and therefore, doesnt require structural changes in this domain. It's merely another way to deploy the whole system, hopefully easier, quicker, more intuitive and powerful (multi-select of results & banks & possibly tags for criterias 1/2, multi-tag possible for example etc)

Note : I'm not saying that the future Xils preset manager will look like this, or be implemented exactly like this, but maybe in the same vein.

Given that I have a big monitor the feature I would most want to see is 32 (or even 64) steps on screen at the same time (maybe a pop out window), its so much easier to visualise and make inventive patterns with more steps rather than linking 16 step patterns.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:Given that I have a big monitor the feature I would most want to see is 32 (or even 64) steps on screen at the same time (maybe a pop out window), its so much easier to visualise and make inventive patterns with more steps rather than linking 16 step patterns.
Yes, this is true to an extent... but not as flexible as having triggered patterns. This system allows for fills and other flavoured patterns to be triggered when needed throughout a toon.
Now if it were 16 X 32 (or 64) step patterns :hyper: .

Return to “Instruments”